Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Mike C

Default Phone Survey

I just recieved a call from a survey company asking questions about Celebrity and how I felt about their service, food, etc. The funny thing was the questions focused on price for a very long time. One question was if I thought the $175 incentive would get me on a Celebrity ship. I said absolutely not! When I book a suite @ $5K+ $175 means very little to me in relation to my booking. If I was a penny pincher and booking a inside cabin @ $1200 saving 15% would mean something.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Ray Dooley

Default Re: Phone Survey

Not sure what your point is except to say that you can afford a more expensive cabin!! We too book higher priced cabins or suites but I have friends, co workers and others I know who either can't afford more than an inside cabin, or, spend so little time in a cabin because they party and all so why spend more, or, who because of priorities, spend alot on their expensive homes that thet figure it a waste to spend $5000 on a suite for 7 days where they will only sleep. In any event I think it is a bit out of line to call people "penny pinchers" who spend $1500 on a cabin and yes, $175 credit might influence them, many who are paying college tuition for 3 or 4 children, saving $1500 for a cruise is a big thing. You remind of of the guy who has to pull a wad of money out when they pay for something so others will see, or will say, "sorry, all I have is hundreds"!!
Old September 7th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Phone Survey

Ray, thanks so much for your comment. A friend and I will be taking our first cruise next year, and we're incredibly excited about it. We're of more modest means, however, and the only way we can afford a cruise is by choosing the least expensive cabin available. We'll also choose the less expensive shore excursions. We're not penny pinchers; we're simply of more modest means.

One of my concerns, however, is that that fellow passengers may feel as Mike does. Will we be looked down upon by others because we're not wealthy? We want to enjoy ourselves on the cruise, not feel put down because of our more limited budgets.
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Admiral

To Newbie: Book whatever you can afford. Fellow passengers don't ask what type of cabin you have (at least that has been my experience on cruises). Who cares what other people think anyway?? Have fun and enjoy every moment of your cruise.
Cindy
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:31 AM
AR

Note to Mike C:

There's a big difference between penny pinchers and those who seek value for money. In some cases doing the latter has made people as rich as you are. People have legitimately differing views of what kinds of cabins make sense for them.

Note to Newbie:

You won't have any problems. Outside your cabin everybody's the same. And if the guy in the next lounge chair starts bragging about his suite or his net worth, just smile and go chat with somebody else. Some of the most interesting people on board have inside cabins.

AR
Old September 7th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Babette

Hmmmm... I am rather surprised that Celebrity would be conducting telephone surveys... insofar as they have used email surveys through outside research firms (such as Burke Reserach) in the past.

RCL/Celebrity is VERY HIGH TECH.... telephone surveys are very low-tech... and more expensive top operate.
Old September 7th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Mike C

That is one of the reasons I thought this was strange as well. The company doing the survey had specific questions about Celebrity ad campaigns and their effectiveness to get me on a ship.
Old September 7th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Mike C

I guess my point is that if Celebrity wants to attract me to cruise when I normally would not they have to do better than offering a lousy $175 off. On amounts that I book at that means about a 3% discount. Who reading this board rushes to the phone to call their travel agent to get a 3% discount.

I don't care about anyone else's financial position, I just want accomodations that are as good as what I get on land based vacations. I think that it is very unfair for Celebrity to offer a much better value to the lower end of accomodations.
Old September 7th, 2002, 05:53 PM
AR

Telephone surveys may be low tech, but it seems to me that they will get you a more valid sample. My mother-in-law takes an occasional cruise. She's got a phone but she wouldn't know a PC if she fell over it.

Limiting responders to those who can and will complete a computer survey automatically skews the sample, doesn't it? It locks out what I imagine might be a pretty good chunk of Celebrity's customers. Mind you, I understand that some seniors are as computer literate as anybody else, but I think the numbers show that it's not an even distribution.

Less expensive surveys aren't much use if the sample is bad, and I'm told that successful surveys depend on two things: good questions and good samples. Perhaps they're using some sort of hybrid--computers for those who will use them and telephone to fill in the demographic holes.

Pamda has an offspring in the survey research business. Maybe she's got a take on this.

AR
Old September 8th, 2002, 09:22 AM
SueClark

Mike C - I agree with you completely and have expressed this to Celebrity. If they are going to offer a coupon that is about 10% on the lower grade cabins, I should be able to get the same type discount on a suite. We always book suites - the same as we would at a resort - - but that doesn't mean we are rolling in money, a discount is always welcome.

Sue
Old September 9th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Admiral

Hmmmm.

One of the values of telephone surveys is that the interviewer can get a "feel" for the responder and rate the response in a subjective fashion. There's a lot of value in that.

Just because the telephone has been around longer than the PC and telephone polling is labor-intensive does not mean that it is low tech. Ultimately, computers will mash the data.

We've just had a primary election here in the Quaint State and there was a bunch of phone polling going on. If the polling organization is only calling 100% primary voters and the voter says he/she has not yet made up his/her mind on a candidate, there's a good chance he/she is not telling the truth. For the race in which I had the most interest, I figured the "not sure" people were going for the challenger, not the incumbent. The challenger (whom I supported) ROCKED with an almost unheard-of 67% of the vote.

Also, with phone polling you're pretty sure of who's on the other end of the phone.

Depending upon the nature (subject) of a telephone survey, results can be skewed in all sorts of subtle ways. Sometimes it's as simple as the order of the possible answers. It's a fascinating quasi-science and the ways that the data are weighted and crunched for accuracy could blow your hair back.

As to the penny-pinching thing, I just may have to send some of you to your suites. Many VERY well-to-do people will choose less expensive cabins on cruise ships, often based on itinerary. On a port-intensive itinerary, any cabin works for me, so long as it's an outside because I know I'll be spending a bunch of money in port. With many at-sea days, a balcony is a must and I would never turn down a suite.

To me, $175 is $175 I didn't have before. And I prefer the term "frugal". Would $175 have me rushing out to book a cruise? Probably not. A flat 10% discount might be enticing, but against what? The brochure rate? "Not to be combined with other offers."

This is the long way of saying that I think the $175 question (which I wish I'd heard in its entirety) may have been a bad question OR it could have been one of those sneaky "qualifiers" that goes into rating the other responses.