Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 8th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Mike C

Default Adults Only?

I have noticed Celebrity seems to be moving towards an adults only line by offering sailings for 18+ and the topless deck among other changes. Personally I am all for it, considering the recent threads about disrespectful kids causing havoc aboard. After all there are a number of other cruise lines that offer really good kids programs.
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Adults Only?

Out of hundreds of cruises I believe a handful are the 21 and over cruises. As to the topless area, Carnival has had one on virtually every ship and next to Disney is probably also the most kid friendly of ships. Celebrity happens to have an excellent program for kids and I'm sure will not be discouraging them.
The nice thing about a cruise is that on any ship there is something for everyone.
Old September 9th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Mike C

Default Re: Re: Adults Only?

Yes, but would you not agree that the ambiance (decor, food, activities) of the Celebrity ships is geared to a more mature audience (45+) vs. the other lines you mention. Narrowing the focus of your target audience means that Celebrity can provide more things that appeal to that particular group instead of trying to please every demographic. My real question here is why do parents of small children choose a line that is formal in nature vs. lines that like NCL, Disney, Carnival, etc. where the kids would have more fun?
Old September 9th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Adults Only?

Itinerary, time of year, length of cruise, price, parents preference as to what THEY want in a cruise, really bad advice from a TA, lack of knowledge of the "personality " of the cruise line: these are just a few reasons I can think of why parents might pick a cruise line with a more adult oriented personality. I also think each individual ship, sailing , itinerary and time of year attracts a different crowd. First Celebrity cruise we went on
was a 10 day southern caribbean on Horizon in October. NO kids (none) no singles,
(4 girls 1 guy) and at 50 I was one of the youngest passengers on the ship.
Two years later on a 14 day Panama canal cruise on Mercury in November we had a group that included kids , multigenerational families, singles, young couples and I would say at 52 I was amoung the top of the age group. Six months later on Zenith to Bermuda, the cruise was young families , young couples, not much in the middle and then folks like us who left the kids and grandkids at home. All Celebrity cruises, each had it's own age "personality".
A lot more to consider than just sticking a reputation on a cruiseline. Yes Celebrity is a bit more " upscale" and with recent changes trying to go UP a bit more. But I don't think
as a popular priced line they are looking to discourage any age group (not just yet anyway).