Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Shari 2

Default Panama canal on the Infinity

Does anyone have any comments on the Panama canal cruise on the Infinity? Also, does anyone know if the Infinity has a self-serve laundromat?

Thanks for the comments; we are planning a January 19th trip.
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2002, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Panama canal on the Infinity

Hi Shari2,
I think going through the canal on Celebrity Infinity would be a wonderful cruise. The ship is beautiful with lots of glass and windows, so you can find many good places to see the canal. Sorry, no, there is isn't a self-serve laundry, but they do offer a laundry service.

Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 29th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Shari 2

Default Re: Re: Panama canal on the Infinity

Hi Donna:

Thanks for the information on the Infinity. We are looking forward to the cruise. We have been on six cruises, but haven't been on vacation for about nine years now. This will be our second on Celebrity, and our first Panama canal. Thanks again.
Old September 29th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Passenger

I am also planning to be aboard that cruise -- although we are on the wait list for Infinity's 1-5-03 cruise for a cat 3, aft cabin. We've been through the canal once before on RCCL and the canal transit is our most favorite cruise of the five we have, so far, taken.

If you have a cabin with a balcony methinks that would be the best and most relaxed view for you -- on either side of the ship. If you don't have a balcony, you might want to join the mad scramble for forward seats when the buffet type restaurant opens about 6 a.m. -- although you will have to get in line at least by 5:30a for any chance of a good seat/table. Alternatively, you can arise about 4 a.m. to obtain a forward seat in the Constellation Lounge.

If you can suffer the intense heat of that region, an outside forward spot along the railing might also be staked out very early. If all that fails, try for an aft vantage point -- which also offers good vistas of the locks and other canal sights.

Remember, everyone aboard will want to watch the canal transit, but there are only so many inside spots to do so. There is usually an on-going commentary offered over the ship's speaker system or, at least, on the ship's television, during the transit, but don't know if Celebrity does this. If there is such a commentary, you will find it's an extremely informative one.

If you do go outside, be sure to grease yourself well with sunscreen and wear a hat, as the sun is vicious since the canal is only a very few degrees north of the equator.

Re a self-service lanudry: no, but the ship's laundry is economically priced and they do a very good job with dry cleaning and washing.

Hope this helps.
Old September 30th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Lene

Jonalthan, please tell me why the Panama Cruise is your favorite. We are going on the 5th. After reading your message..I thought..oh my..we have an INSIDE cabin. Do people actually sit and watch the ship go through the canal for the entire day????? I figure that during the day we'll have lots of opportunities to view from somewhere on the ship...even if it's the treadmill!!!
Old September 30th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Panama canal on the Infinity

We went thru the Panama Canal last year on RCCL Vision of the Seas..the ship was fully booked and we found lots of spots throughout the ship to view any lock crossing. I doubt it that anyone stays in any one place throughout the 8 hour crossing. Balcony is fine but you have only one sided view of the crossing. Balcony, oceanview or inside stateroom doesn't matter for crossing.....you need to move about on both sides of deck to see different views. Enjoy!!
Old September 30th, 2002, 09:03 AM
TraceyB

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Panama canal on the Infinity

We are also on this cruise, I am really excited about going through the canal. This is our third cruise with Celebrity, the first on the Infinity. I know that she is the sister ship to the Millenium,but wondering if she is alot like her or are there some reall differences?
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Lene

We are thinking of the riverboat tour from Puntarenas. Is it necessary to book with the cruiseship company? Are the tour operators at the pier reliable? It's a 4-5 hour tour, so under "normal" conditions, we should get back way ahead of time.
Old September 30th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Panama canal on the Infinity

Lene: Drop me a note with your email address to jonathanjaygee@aol.com and I will detail my thinking re the canal and why it's my favorite cruise... don't want to take up everybody's time here.Lene wrote:

> Jonalthan, please tell me why the Panama Cruise is your
> favorite. We are going on the 5th. After reading your
> message..I thought..oh my..we have an INSIDE cabin. Do people
> actually sit and watch the ship go through the canal for the
> entire day????? I figure that during the day we'll have lots of
> opportunities to view from somewhere on the ship...even if it's
> the treadmill!!!
Old September 30th, 2002, 10:46 PM
Shari 2

Hi everyone:

Thanks for the information on the Panama canal cruise on Jan. 19. JonathanJay, you also answered another question of mine about the weather. I will expect some heat. Thanks again. Hope to see some of you.