Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Rob Levitt

Default Millennium v. HAL (Zuiderdam)

We are currently reserved for the Millennium (Celebrity), in a RS category suite for March. However, after evaluating the price difference with the (HAL) Zuiderdam for the same quality of suite (Deluxe Verandah Suite) and date, there does appear to be a big difference in price. The Zuiderdam is about $3,800 less. We are a couple in our early 40's traveling with our 5 year old daughter. Given the fact that we both like a high level of service, are there distinct differences in the ships for a 7 day trip to the Caribeean that justifies the price difference?
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to tinytim
Default Re: Millennium v. HAL (Zuiderdam)

Was never on the Millie, but was on her sister, the Summit. Was also on Zaandam with same captain who is bringing out the Zuiderdam. Loved them both, but give the edge to Celebrity. However, for that kind of $$$$, I don't think you would be disappointed with HAL.
Old October 7th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Katherine

My husband and I just sailed on the Millennium last September on the 12 day Istanbul to Barcelona cruisein cat. RS and I have just recently been reading up on the Zuiderdam. The big difference that justifies the price is the suite itself. Both cruise lines offer a similar standard of service and the Zuiderdam does offer a slightly larger cabin (27 sq. ft.) if you are looking for an inside or oecan view room at a higher price then Celebrity but, if you want a suite everything reverses. Zuiderdam's deluxe verandah suite is 563 sq. ft. including the verandah (great marketing technique) while the Millennium's royal suite is 733 including the verandah (which they don't include in their stats). It is laid out very much like HAL's penthouse suite but, with a smaller dinning room sitting 4 instead of 8 plus you have the added bonus of the private outdoor hot tub on your verandah.
My best friend has been on 12 HAL cruises in Europe and the Caribbean and we just recently hashed over the service side of it and could not come up with any differences between the two lines.
We just booked a RS on the Celebrity Constellation, sister ship to the Millennium, out of San Juan for January. It's a great way to get away from this Candadian snow in winter! Some people say that your cabin doesn't really matter but for us it matters a lot. We enjoy retiring to the privacy of our room, getting away from the crowds and still having scrumptous surroundings and oh those suite indulgences!
Be sure to try the Olympic Restaurant, it's fantastic! Katherine
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:09 PM
Joe Reynolds

I called Celebrity and tell them. See what they can do. They might make you a deal.
Never hurts to try. $3800 difference for the same quality room is quite a bit for a 7 day cruise. See if you can get to one of the Supervisors. How much will it cost you to cancel Celebrity? These ships are comptetive and I don't see why they wouldn't deal.
Interested in the outcom.
Old October 18th, 2002, 07:41 AM
rob levitt

Default Re: Re: Millennium v. HAL (Zuiderdam)

I called Celebrity and explained the price difference. I was very pleased that they immediately reduced the price accordingly. With this level of service, I'll stay with Celebrity.