Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Frank

Default Super Constellation

We just returned from our best overall cruise experience ever - on the Constellation. We have cruised many times, mostly on Princess and once on Crystal but this was the best ship. The food and service rivaled Crystal. I have posted pictures of the ship and the ports of call at: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4045876

Disregard the Alaskan cruise we took in July that is also at this site. The photos of the ship are in the Constellation album and the ports are in the European album.

There are only two items that Princess does better than Celebrity, their pastas which are usually one of the courses, and the breads or dinner rolls. Celebrity has a pasta station at the buffet up top but that doesn't help those in the dining room. Another item lacking on Celebrity is the self service laundry but none of these would cause me to select Princess over Celebrity if the right cruise is offered - the right itinerary at the right price.

We will be on the new Coral Princess for their Panama Canal run from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco April-May 2003 but I doubt they can perform as well as Celebrity did on this cruise. For one, they don't have a Thalassotherapy pool. (G)
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Super Constellation

Hi Frank,
I just loved the thalassotherapy pool!! Glad to hear Constellation was a great cruise for you, would also be interested in hearing about Coral Princess after your crouse on her.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Hi Frank.. welcome home! So glad to hear you enjoyed the Constellation as much as I did. Look forward to a full report!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 14th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Trudi

Does it cost to use the thalassotherapy pool? Also do they check for liquor, we're going on the New Year cruise and wanted to bring a bottle or two for our cabin. Thanks for any info on the Constellation, we really liked your pictures, rooms look smaller than Holland America though.
Trudi Valerio
Old October 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Super Constellation

Hi Trudy,
Nope, no charge for the t-pool, I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as I did on Infinity. As for bring liquor onboard, you can try wrapping it well and putting into your checked luggage.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Joe Reynolds

Trudi,
Once you get the liquor to your room, no one says anything..
Joe
Old October 15th, 2002, 12:34 PM
hct

can't seem to get to your photos..could someone type them in as a link or advise?
Old October 15th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Hi Hct,
Try this link, hope it works?

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4045876

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 15th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Frank

Kuki wrote:

> Hi Frank.. welcome home! So glad to hear you enjoyed the
> Constellation as much as I did. Look forward to a full report!
>
Kuki:
I didn't plan to post a full report. Everything was great from quick embarkation and beyond. Everything on this ship was superb. I will mention one experience we had on the first night. My wife and I both ordered the prime rib that evening and specified end cuts. When it was delivered, I thought about requesting some au jus as end cuts normally being well done are on the dry side. Well, we cut into these entrees and couldn't believe how juicy a well done prime rib was, not to mention being so tender one could almost cut it with a fork. We have never had an end cut like that.

I said one, but here's a second. My wife loves escargot. (I have an aversion to it.) She had what she said was the best ever on the second evening. The waiter wasn't even in ear shot but as soon as she finished, he had another serving in front of her.

I wish this ship sailed in closer waters. I guess we can sail the sister ship, the Summit, but we don't want to go to Alaska again as we've taken 3 cruises there. I also think that the Constellation might be a step above its sister ships since it is Celebrity's flagship and it may be staffed by their best people. It has been my experience that ships vary within a given line even for the same type of ship.
Frank
Old October 16th, 2002, 11:28 AM
lysolq

Thanks for posting your pictures. They were great! Glad to know you enjoyed your cruise. We leave next week for the Constellation, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. Hope our trip is as great as your was.
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just back from the Millennium, the cruise was good but the Constellation was EXCELLENT. The Constellation was one of our best cruises. We are spoiled after the cruise with the Constellation. It will be hard to find another cruise like this one.

Gitte

12 days Constellation Ultimate Caribbean
Old October 16th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Benjamin Smith

Frank, the Millennium, not the Constellation, is Celebrity's flagship.

I'm on the ship in December and glad to read the report and enjoyed viewing the pictures.
Old October 18th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Frank

Benjamin Smith wrote:

> Frank, the Millennium, not the Constellation, is Celebrity's
> flagship.

Ben:
Have they passed the flag? The Millenium is the class of ship but everyone on board referred to the Constellation as now being Celebrity's flagship. I can't find anything to show this but we heard it repeatedly said by the crew. Anyone else know?
Frank
Old October 18th, 2002, 04:43 PM
PBP

Default Re: Re: Re: Super Constellation

Even the Constellation's Master refers to her as Celebrity's flagship. Being the last ship in the Millennium Class, it is my understanding from the Captain that she will remain the flagship until such time as Celebrity brings out a new ship to replace her. And the Captain who was given the honor of "bringing her out" will remain her Master for at least the next two years. This information was just given to me on Wednesday of this week. Hope it helps clear up any confusion.
Old October 20th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Constellation

PBP wrote:

> Even the Constellation's Master refers to her as Celebrity's
> flagship. Being the last ship in the Millennium Class, it is
> my understanding from the Captain that she will remain the
> flagship until such time as Celebrity brings out a new ship to
> replace her. And the Captain who was given the honor of
> "bringing her out" will remain her Master for at least the next
> two years. This information was just given to me on Wednesday
> of this week. Hope it helps clear up any confusion.

Thanks for clearing that up. They were quite proud of that detinction.
Frank
Old October 20th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Benjamin Smith

I know the Constellation is the latest Millennium class ship but I don't think that is the way it works in identifying the flagship. I won't argue with the Captain, though.

I think the 4 ships are pretty similar, Summit, Infinity, also are getting rave reviews, and these 4 have the creme of Celebrity's crop and at this point maybe the Connie has the most experienced crew. Celebrity used to make the point that Millennium would be the flagship of the four, though I see this no more. I find it interesting that Millie is the first ship that started the new upscale enhancements, not Connie.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:04 PM
Frank

Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I think the 4 ships are pretty similar, Summit, Infinity,
> also are getting rave reviews, and these 4 have the creme of
> Celebrity's crop and at this point maybe the Connie has the
> most experienced crew. Celebrity used to make the point that
> Millennium would be the flagship of the four, though I see this
> no more. I find it interesting that Millie is the first ship
> that started the new upscale enhancements, not Connie.

I think they perfected everything with the Constellation. The 3 previous ships had some vibration problems which detracted from the great overall designs that they had. There are always some bugs in new technology. This ship has really spoiled it for other cruise lines and other ships.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 25th, 2002, 01:03 PM
hct

Finally got to view the photos of Constellation.--WOW they are really great! Thank you-- Although we are on RCCI next, we thinking abt coming back to celebrity on Summit only because it leaves from Ft Lauderdale but Constellation is tempting.
Old November 7th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Liz Jones

Thanks for the great remarks. We are booked January 24-02 for the Southern Caribbean, our first cruise will be on Constellation!! Getting excited and we are going with another couple who have cruised a few times!