Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
Beginner

Default Celebrity disappoints us again?! happy ending!

I'm hoping someone can help us here. We were booked on the Infinity last April when our cruise was suddenly cancelled by celebrity due to a dry docking of the ship for rudder problems. We were offered the choice of being booked on another ship the same week or 50% off a future celebrity cruise (excluding new years week )thru May '03. We rebooked for Feb '03 on the Millenium and are very excited EXCEPT now celebrity says the offer is only for 1 person in each cabin. We have 2 cabins booked for our family of 4 and the difference adds up to $1700. We are so disappointed and fell we are being taken advantage of. Our travel agent is doing what she can. Anyone else experience this? What recourse do we have without anything in writing? Thank-you in advance for any advice.(p.s. happy ending-please see post below)

Post Edited (11-04-02 06:10)
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2002, 10:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Celebrity disappoints us again?!

Write an email directly to HAL and explain all the details. Keep on them until you get satisfaction and they will do something for you. Be nice, to the point, and insist on your satisfaction. Good Luck!
Old October 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Admiral

First question I would ask you is how many rooms did you have booked on the cancelled cruise? I can't see Celebrity giving you 50% off for more rooms than you had booked on the first cruise. If you had two rooms booked on the first cruise then I would suggest you have your TA contact Celebrity and ask for a supervisor. Failing that, try writing or emailing Celebrity with all specifics. As I said , only if you had two rooms booked to begin with would I think you have a defensible arguement.
Good luck with your efforts.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Celebrity disappoints us again?!

we had 2 rooms booked the first time also. thanks for your interest.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:26 PM
Dave Brown

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity disappoints us again?!

Hi,

We had a simular but less expensive experience, our Millenium cruise was cancelled and we were offered a $100 US Dollar onboard credit per person on a replacement cruise. The closest we could find was the on the Constallation completing the almost identical itinerary. But we have had to pay an extra 100 GB Pounds per person ($148 US).

Thanks

Dave
Old October 22nd, 2002, 08:12 PM
Admiral

This is really unforgivable, in my opinion. I am booked on a fourteen night cruise on the Zenith 12-22 to South America. I would be very upset if they had pulled that on me. Renigging is not a quality I admire in any big business dealings with consumers,
Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Something sounds very strange here. If you booked two rooms the first time around, the discount should apply to both rooms... unless, of course, the new booking is at some kind of special promo rate, such as a 2 for 1, in which case you'd be getting 50% off 50%. Usually, these special future booking certificates and letters do not apply to the most highly discounted rates available at some future date. This is surely something for your t/a to clear up, perhaps with the intervention of the t/a's Celebrity DSM.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Celebrity disappoints us again?!

I too question your situation....are you currently booked under a special promotional fare?. Certain fares are lower than others and are"not discountable" for coupons or credits or further discounts. I was looking today into the Zenith -South America sailing this December that had terrific pricing. When I tried to book the cabin they said fine but I(we) could not get any airsea(from anywhere in the US) and the lowest air was over $ 1700.00 per person. The agent told me they had closed the airsea gateways and no one could book airsea from the cruise line. Needless to say the discounted cabin rate was not enough to allow for us to purchase our own air tickets . Most of the fares were almost $2500.00 per person unless you did a 4 or 5 legg trip and take 20 hours to get there to reduce the cost to $ 1800.00 pp.
I wish you good luck.... We have had good luck on two previous cancelled Celebrity cruises, but I admit we ended up sailing a date or time that was not ideal for us(limited choices or iten's that were not high on on our sailing preference...Oh well free is free.
Let us know how things turn out.

David
Old October 28th, 2002, 03:17 PM
hct

when our cruise was cancelled on milie way back, we got a huge shipbpard credit pp & also a greatly reduced rate on a rebooked cruise on Mercury. TA has to be tenacious or they will try to give as little as possible.
Old November 3rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Beginner

i just heard back from my travel agent who had great news for us. celebrity had forgotten to send out 2 of the vouchers so all 4 of us will now be 50% off our upcoming millenium cruise. it does make a difference to have an experienced travel agent when situations like this occur. thanks to all who offered advice. i'll let you know how our trip works out!