Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default specialty restaurant

My fiance and I are cruising on Millie in December. We would like to eat twice at the Olympic. Most recommendations I have read say that we should eat there on the informal nights. What would you do?

My fiance is planning on buying a tux. Should he wear it to the Olympic or will a suit and tie do? Two formal nights and two nights at the Olympic would be four evenings in a tux, and I'm not sure if he'd be comfortable with that.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2002, 10:16 AM
AR

Default Re: specialty restaurant

It isn't necessary to wear a tux in the Olympic. In fact, they more or less recommend against it. They like suits on formal nights, jacket and tie at all other times. Once you see the place you'll realize that anything less than a coat and tie is inappropriate.

That said, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what night(s) you go. Ironically, you could avoid the tux thing altogether by going on formal nights, unless you really think the food in the regular dining room is that much better on formal nights (I don't).

We've been on three cruises on Millie class ships. On one 11-day cruise we went to the specialty restaurant twice. On the others we just went once. They are unquestionably fabulous, but repeated visits over a short period can actually be a bit much. The food is very rich, and the service is so good that these places qualify as "special event" restaurants, and not every night (even on a cruise) is a special event in that context.

AR
Old November 12th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Michelle,
Most people recommend the informal nights, because Mark would be in a sports jacket and tie those nights anyway. Booking there for casual nights, means excessive sports jackets and ties to pack along, and that's to be avoided at all costs <G>

You could certainly book a formal night as well, no problem.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old November 12th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Admiral

Thanks guys. He will be happy to hear he doesn't have to wear his tux to the restaurant.

I think we'll go ahead and book for informal nights. I could book on one of the formal nights instead; I've heard both that the food is better on formal nights and that it is the same. But since this is our first cruise on Celebrity we don't want to take any chances on missing out if it is better.

AR, I see your point about twice being too much - but after reading about it extensively we've both decided that we'll enjoy the experience enough to want to do it twice. Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 12th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Michelle, be sure to book early for the Olympic. We registered as soon as we got on the ship, and there was quite a line of people before us. Only thing left at that point was for the last night of the cruise. We never did go because we were having so much fun with the group at our table in the main dining room.

Phyll
Old November 13th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Admiral

If you are chocolate lover, be sure to order the chocolate souffle...it is to die for. You must order it at the beginning of the meal so they have time to prepare it.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old November 13th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: specialty restaurant

Olympic is super. Only part of the restautant has the original Olympic decor. Ask to sit at least once in that section. The Creme Brule(sp?) is also to die for. A tux, even on the formal nights, while nice, is unnecessary if you eat in the regular dining area. I would say we've seen less than 50% of people wearing tux's. A dark suit works fine. We go on the formal nights; one less night I have to wear a suit. I wore suits to work every day for most of 30 year(casual only came in a few years before I retired).

Another tip. For breakfast stay out of the dining room. Wasn't good. The buffet is great and find the omelette station. It is "hidden". They make great omelettes and eggs any way you want them. Most people don't discover it until the third for fourth day.

Enjoy your trip. Bon voyage!!!!!!
Old November 13th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Admiral

These are great tips, thanks!

Do you make your reservations for the Olympic at the Olympic restaurant?

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 13th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Mike F.

Default Re: Re: specialty restaurant

Hi...if you're a Captain's Club member you can book pre-cruise through their 800 number...Bon Appetite!
Old November 13th, 2002, 09:05 AM
First Mate

Default Is it really worth the extra $$$?

On the Princess Cruise, their Sterling Steakhouse specialty restaurant cost $8.00 PP extra, so we gave it a "shot". What is really worth it? Maybe, maybe not. Now on the Celebrity ships, they charge $25 PP plus additional gratuity (plus big $$ for wine, etc.) for the "signature" restaurant. Now I would admit that going out to a 5-star restaurant for that price would be great, in and by itself. But adding on maybe $75+ per couple for a meal which should already be 3-4 star in quality, is it really worth it? I guess it is for many because reservations seem to be in order. Could we get further explicatives why it's worth the "extra" bucks to eat at the signature restaurants?
Old November 13th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Alas, Mike, this is our first Celebrity cruise, so we are not captain's club members.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 13th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

No, there is no additional gratuity. It is included in the $25 and the Olympic restaurant staff will tell you that. Don't know where Gary got that. Don't think he has been on the ship. Yes, wine is extra but you don't have to have wine and it would be extra in the regular dining room anyway. We will be doing Alaska on Summit next summer and we will dine in that specialty restaurant for sure.

If you are not Captain's Club make your reservations as soon as you get on the ship. Ask where they are taking them. It is likely not in the Olympic but elsewhere. If you miss making one then you can call the restaurant.
Old November 14th, 2002, 06:27 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

Dick, you're right...Our next cruise will our first on Celebrity. We were on the Dawn Princess this summer in Alaska. My message was based on what I have gleamed from other BB messages and hence is only what I understood. I appreciate your update. My reference about the wine $$ was gathered from another message which implied the wine offering in the specialty restaurants were at the higher end then in the main dining room. However, my original question still stands... can you explain why you feel it's worth the extra $50+? Thanks...
Old November 14th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Thanks Dick. We will go to the purser's desk and ask before we even go to our cabin.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old November 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

The bottom line is having a "dining experience".

1) Outstanding service-3 serving people/table
2) Table side food preperation
3) Live piano music and tableside violin
4) Suberb food with entrees and desserts you do not get in the regular restaurant
5) Nostalgia-Dining in the actual decor of the Titantic's sister ship
6) Just elegant

We are on Coral Princess in February and Celebrity Summit in August and will try their sepcialiy restaurants.
Old November 14th, 2002, 09:41 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

Thanks...that's the kind of response and information I was looking for...during our 14 days Panama Canal cruise, we'll give it a try...... Thanks again...
Old November 14th, 2002, 05:38 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

Gary, go early in the trip that way if you really like it (very likely)you can go again toward the end. Remember to ask when you make your reservations to sit in the section with the original Olympic decor. The piano is not in that room but is right near by. You can look at the restaurant in the afternoon. The doors are usually open so you can look in. Don't hesitate to ask the violinist to paly "that special song". Other suggestons besides the creme brulee. Try the desert sampler(mostly choclate), chocolate souflee and for an entree, rack of lamb. By the way the food in the restaurant is also excellent. Have a great trip.
Old November 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it really worth the extra $$$?

Dick...For clarification, I'm on the Infinity, which I believe has the SS United States as their specialty restaurant. And I am very fond of rack of lamb and my wife goes for a great creme brule. Thanks for your advice.
Old November 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
SLP

Default Re: specialty restaurant/Galaxy?

Does the Galaxy have an Olympic or other specialty restaurant? They aren't real clear on the Celebrity website.
Old November 18th, 2002, 08:53 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: specialty restaurant/Galaxy?

Not unless they've added one recently.

AR