Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Default Defining Mens Formal, Informal, casual dress...

How close are these definitions?
Formal: Tux or dark suit
Informal: sports coat or suit with or without tie
Casual: slacks and collared shirt

What if I dressed casual on an informal night? Is that a "no-no"?
Or sport coat without tie? Another no-no?
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Defining Mens Formal, Informal, casual dress...

I would say you are right on. For me, I like the tux idea on formal nights. Somehow it seems to enhance the flavor of both eating and dining. I usually have one ordered and sent to the cabin the day of embarkation. Remember also, it can be as informal as you want it if you desire to order your entre sent to the cabin.
So, have at it, and have a great cruise.Gary wrote:

> How close are these definitions?
> Formal: Tux or dark suit
> Informal: sports coat or suit with or without tie
> Casual: slacks and collared shirt
>
> What if I dressed casual on an informal night? Is that a
> "no-no"?
> Or sport coat without tie? Another no-no?
Old November 22nd, 2002, 03:45 PM
Admiral

You've pretty much got the idea down with your definitions. The reality of it is something a little less. Truly casual on an informal night might be looked at with a glance but there isn't a clothing cop standing by the elevators issuing summonses. Why not get with the spirit of it all anyway? I happen to wear a jacket to dinner every night. What I wear it with is how I differentiate casual and informal. I wear tux on formal nights but not always with a pleated shirt , bow tie and cumberbund. Sometimes a black shirt and silk tie, sometimes a silk turtleneck. I have never felt under(or over ) dressed. If you really don't want to dress for dinner, try Norwegian Freestyle .If you do Celebrity, would it kill you to go with the flow?
Old November 22nd, 2002, 05:44 PM
AR

Celebrity's long-standing definitions are as follows (I still wish Cruise Mates management would post this sort of thing in an FAQ section for each line):

Casual:

Pants-suit or sporty outfit for women
Sport shirt and slacks for men

Informal:

Dress or pants outfit for women
Jacket, shirt and tie for men

Formal:

Cocktail dresses or long gowns for women
Dinner jackets, dark suits or tuxedos for men

No, nothing horrible will happen to you if you don't adhere, except you won't be in the spirit of the evening.

But, PapaBill is right: some people choose Celebrity because it is just a bit more formal than most other lines, and they like that. It is well to consider these people when making your clothing choices--and your cruise line choices. As Bill says, there are many other good lines that are intentionally far less formal.

AR
Old November 29th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Gary,

Most cruise lines actually prescribe "semiformal" rather than "informal" -- but the expected attire includes a necktie in either case. Other than the "or without" in reference to a necktie, though, your definitions are basically correct. Also, dress shoes are appropriate on all evenings.

You may wear a sweater or a sportcoat on casual night, without a necktie.

What if I dressed casual on an informal night? Is that a "no-no"?

According to the rules of social etiquette, it's a very definite "no-no." What the cruise line will do about it is another matter. On some ships, the Maitre d' or the head waiters will say something like, "I'm sorry, sir, but <whatever attire> is required in the dining room this evening, but we'll be happy to seat you if you would like to go change." On other ships, the staff will ignore it and you'll stand out as one of two or three buffoons who are not dressed as prescribed. I'm really not sure which is worse.

BTW, unenforced rules have caused a lot of passenger complaints over the last several months, so some of the lines that have been lax probably will start enforcing rules much more firmly (but tactfully, of course).

Norm.