Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2002, 06:44 PM
Jim & Caron

Default Chichen Itza

Has anyone here had personal experience with the Chichen Itza excursion fron Progresso/? We're on the Mercury 2/7. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2002, 10:47 PM
frito

Default Re: Chichen Itza

Was there back in Jan. and took a ships tour. Is basically an all days adventure. Bus we were on was modern, had a/c and a bathroom--road was modern highway.
Chichen-Itza is a fabulous place if you like Mayan sites and history. It is huge compared to Tulum. There are shops, a bar or two, etc.outside the entrance.
You won't be able to cover it all in the time you are there but you can get a good idea of what it must have been once upon a time.As stated, if you like this sort of thing, I would highly recommend it.
Old December 7th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Tina C

We are cruising the Mercury on Feb 7 as well. A few years ago we went to Chichen Itza and Merida for a couple of days from Cancun. Both are definitely worth visiting. The ruins are huge and fascinating - a must see. The city is lovely though few people spoke English and we were fortunate to have our son with us who speaks Spanish. There was great shopping for Mexican crafts there. Nothing like the touristy areas of Cancun or Cozumel. Although we usually rent a car and tour on our own, at this port my husband and I are probably going to take the Merida/Uxmal tour offered by Celebrity. From everything I have read about Progreso it seems it's best to take a tour.

I think you will love Chichen Itza. E-Mail me back and maybe we can get together for a drink on the Mercury.

Tina
Old December 12th, 2002, 09:56 AM
jrt

I won't bother repeating what the other posters have said, but will add a few of my own observations... (It is a great trip though...)

Our guide gave an excellent presentation (about 1 hour 1/2 - 2 hours). By the time he was finished, we still had enough time to climb the inside and the outside of the 91 step pyramid, browse the souvenir shops and made it to the bus with about 20 minutes to spare (the bus was leaving at 3:00). Be prepared to tip the guide and bus driver.

The bus ride isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. Our two kids (9 & 12) made the trip without complaint... in fact, even slept almost the whole way back. The guide will provide some commentary on the way to C. I. and sodas/Mexican beer on the way back to the ship... I was able to finish a book by the end of the day.. ...BTW, you can leave your personal belongings on the bus while at C.I.

The lunch provided by Mercury is just awful. You might want to bring along some snacks of your own to eat on the bus.. I did notice a restaurant to the left of the exit, but can't comment on what they have. There were also maybe two small snack bars on the site... No outside food is allowed in , although they did not check our backpacks...

Definitely stretch before you hike up the inside of the pyramid to see the jaguar or the outside of the pyramid, for that matter.. I didn't and felt it for at least a few days...

You may want to bring insect repellent...

Can't think of anything else, but feel free to ask any questions...