Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default panama canal cruise

We are thinking of cruising through the panama canal in July. Does anyone know of a ship or cruise line that makes that trip during the summer? If so, any recommendations? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: panama canal cruise

Hi Ro,
Actually there are only a few that cruise the canal during the summer months, noticed Celebrity Millinium will be doing the canal, you can check through all these for others, wasn't sure how long of a cruise you wanted to do, good luck:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ies/Panama.cfm

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 15th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Ro
Default Re: Re: panama canal cruise

thanks for your help, but after reviewing info on the celebrity site, I don't see that itinerary listed for Millenium. Perhaps there has been a change by Celebrity? Is July not a good time for that itinerary? I wonder why there are so few ships going there in the summer?
Old December 15th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: panama canal cruise

Hi Ro,
Its very possible Millinium is on a different itinary, they do change them from time to time. You will notice a lot of ships are up in Alaska during the summer. Have you thought about cruising in Alaska during the summer months?? We finally did this past summer and wondered why we didn't do that sooner, it was great!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 16th, 2002, 09:58 AM
First Mate

Default Celebrity does not do Panama Canal May, June, July, Aug.

According to their website, they do not offer any Panama Canal cruises from May through August.
Old December 31st, 2002, 09:00 PM
ABF

Default Re: Celebrity does not do Panama Canal May, June, July, Aug.

We also were interested in a summer Panama Canal cruise, and discovered after a very thorough search that there are no cruises to the Canal after April...until around October. So we booked the two week April 13th cruise on the Celebrity Infinity for the incredible price of $1800 per person for the highest category (non suite) balcony cabin (category 1A). Unreal!!
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Pooh Bear

We were on Infinity 12/8/02 Panama Canal (14-day) out of SD. We enjoyed this cruise so much more than we thought we would. We had cruised on Infinity in April '01 in Hawaii and found Panama cruise to be much more enjoyable. Perhaps it was due to the number of sea days. There is at least 1 day (and some times 2 days) between ports. It was wonderfully relaxing (especially enjoyable since it was so close to the holidays). Seems as though all of our cruises to-date have been so hectic that we feel as though we need a vacation when we return home - but not this one! Another plus: we left 6 inches of fresh snow in Ohio - and absolutely adored the warm (hot) temps in Central America in December. However, don't think I'd want to take this cruise even if it was available in the summer months. Can't imagine how hot it must be in that part of the world in the summer.

We found the service and the staff much improved from our first cruise on Infinity (bugs were worked out, I guess!). In fact, there was nothing at all that we didn't enjoy to the fullest. Thinking about taking the same cruise again next December.

If you book this cruise, I sincerely hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Pooh Bear
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: panama canal cruise

Don't forget, when you are in the Panama Canal in December/January, that's the summer season in that part of the world. When you cruise in July/August, it's winter down there -- and, I assume, somewhat cooler, even if it is located only a couple of so degrees from the equator.
Old January 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Admiral

Actually, the difference between summer and winter in Central America is actually wet vs. dry. Our summer months, June, July, and August, are the "rainy season" and are less popular with tourists. Our winter months are their "dry season" and are the on season for tourism. I was fortunate enough to live in Costa Rica one rainy season, and boy did it rain, every day. I don't believe there's much variation in temperature between the two seasons.

Cheers,
Michelle B.