Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 25th, 2002, 08:24 AM
lysolq

Default Belize tours

Has anyone taken either of the two Belize City shore excursions offered by Celebrity - Tale of Two Cities (Old and New Belize City) or Belize City Tour and Sanctuary? Since we don't want to go on an eco-related tour, we'd like to get a feel for the city and are trying to choose between these two tours. Or, is neither one worth the time and efffort? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Belize tours

We're off to Belize in about six weeks. Can you wait until we get back?

I understand that the zoo is fabulous.

Old December 26th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Dr Bob

Default Re: Belize tours

Took the Belize City Tour and Sanctuary tour this past summer. I was looking for a half day tour and this filled the bill. Some of my friends took an all day tour and were not happy with the local lunch and the length of time they spent in Belize. We got back to the ship fortunately in time for a late lunch. Make sure you wear a suntan lotion with an insect repellent. One of my friends that took a tour got so bitten up on his back (right through his T-shirt), he did not even come to dinner that night he was so uncomfortable. Also be careful at the sanctuary tour when you pass the mountain cows. They like to spray their urine at the guests to mark their territory. Saw one young lady get it right in the face. They can spray a great distance. Also wear a clothspin on your nose when you go by the local pig cage. They have scent glands like a skunk and let you know their there. Having said all this as a warning I still think this was the ideal tour to see Belize.
I did for a moment entertain the notion of going cave tubbing. It did sound fun , but hiking for 45 minutes through the jungle and then sitting in cold water in a tube and going through caves with bats and having a local lunch convinced me a half day tour would be just fine.
Old December 26th, 2002, 01:34 PM
lysolq

Default Re: Re: Belize tours

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative. With respect to the sanctuary, I guess forewarned is forearmed. I'd appreciate some imput regarding the non-sanctuary portion of the tour, specifically the part of the tour that covered Belize City proper. Did you get to see much of the city or was that part of the tour little more than a drive-through in order to reach the sanctuary? Thanks again.
Old December 26th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Dr Bob

Default Re: Re: Re: Belize tours

I would say the city tour was just OK. Belize City is not that big and your dealing with a third world country. You do not get off the bus at any time. Your best shopping is right in the immediate vicinity where you get off the high speed boat that brings you to the port. Your ship has to anchor a good distance out from the port and the only feasible way of getting to the port is by high speed boats from Belize City that come out and meet the ship. You will go by the Prime Ministers home(about the size of a standard middle class home in the states), several of the hotels, the old royal governors home(in need of repair) and other less note worthy sites. The best part was listening to are two tour guides on the bus who gave a history of Belize and the current state of affairs in the country. It was interseting and I was glad I selected this tour. It gave you a feeling for the country. That being said, I'm not going to go running back to Belize very soon. I understand some of the hotels on the outer islands are magnificent, but they are to far away and no tours form the ship go there.
Old December 27th, 2002, 05:38 AM
lysolq

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Belize tours

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. We'll follow your lead and try the City and Sanctuay tour.
Old December 27th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Belize

We were in Belize last week with the Galaxy 10 day cruise, and I was deeply disappointed with the stop. It seemed unsafe and one of the ladies who took a shore excursion said that they played chicken with cars on the gravel roads because they were not wide enough! Just a warning!