Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old December 29th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 452
Default Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old December 29th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 74
Default Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Paul:

if your sailing on Celebrity - there is no iron or board in your room.

Joe & Pam
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old December 29th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 452
Default Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old December 30th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

The most serious potential hazzard at sea is fire. There are no irons or ironing boards permitted in staterooms. Many vessels do have Laundry Rooms open to the public and these usually have ironing facilities available.

You can use the ship's vallet service to have garments pressed if you need.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old December 30th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the r

ErnieMCC wrote:

> The most serious potential hazzard at sea is fire. There are
> no irons or ironing boards permitted in staterooms. Many
> vessels do have Laundry Rooms open to the public and these
> usually have ironing facilities available.
>
I've heard that ridiculouls argument before - how often has a fire started from an iron - anywhere? Compare that to smoking - they should ban that on board as it is more of a fire hazard. Celebrity had made the decision not to provide the space for laundry facilities or for irons. Some feel that when they are on a vacation, they don't want to do laundry and that it doesn't cost that much to have it done. I disagree and would rather be able to run a batch or two, especially on long trips. Most likely Celebrity has decided that this is another profit center for them and thus give you no choice. Conversely, Princess has laundry facilities and irons available on most of their ships. However, I don't think the fact of having or not having plays much of a role, if any, on one's decision to take a cruise. My bottom line is price and itinerary.
Frank-in-CA
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old December 30th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in t

You may have heard that "argument" before, but frankly I have never heard anyone question that an iron in a cabin is not a fire hazzard. It clearly is and all passenger carrying registered vessels that call on U.S. Ports to embark passengers have such a prohibition.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 1st, 2003, 10:13 PM
Mikey Sr.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in t

Frank you are correct. Who ever heard of an iron starting a fire on a cruise ship. People smoke in their stateroom and are more likely to start a fire if the were to fall asleep while doing it. I did not see one word about bring irons on board on their website. I'm bring mine in a few days.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 2nd, 2003, 12:12 AM
Frank
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided

ErnieMCC wrote:

> You may have heard that "argument" before, but frankly I have
> never heard anyone question that an iron in a cabin is not a
> fire hazzard. It clearly is and all passenger carrying
> registered vessels that call on U.S. Ports to embark passengers
> have such a prohibition.
>
Well, all but Celebrity must be in violation, because they have them on board. BTW, I wonder what they use in their on board laundry service? Those close do come back pressed.
Frank-in-CA
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 2nd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provi

What I said was "... in the cabin". Of course they have irons and boards in the Laundry rooms open to the public and commercial pressing equipment in their on-board laundries.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 2nd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided

I suppose you haven't heard of it because of the prohibition, which most people who are sensitive to their own safety, and that of others on board, abide by.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 3rd, 2003, 05:32 PM
Mikey Sr.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

I called Celebrity cruiseline and they said there was no policy or rules forbidding the use of personal irons in any cabin. In fact the customer service rep I spoke with said he bring his with him on every cruise.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
Jazz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

These irons posts can really get alot of response. Here is what you do. You get a travel iron, use it in the am, unplug it and set it in the sink. When it is cool you can put it away. Very easy, and YES my cabin steward told me you CAN use them!! (Century 2001)Happy sailing!!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 4th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Far be it from me to contradict your cabin steward, but allow me to quote from both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's on-board Industry guides:

Royal Caribbean

Q - "Are there irons and boards in the stateroom?"
A - "No, but there is a full laundry service on-board."

Q - "Can I bring my own iron on-board?"
A - "No, for safety reasons irons are not permitted."

Celebrity

Q - "Are there Irons and Boards in the Staterooms?"
A - "No, but there is a full laundry service on board."

Q - "Can I bring my own iron on board?"
A - "No."

You will find similar prohibitions in many cruise line's literature and in all of their Industry Advisory materials.

I think it is a disservice to those new to cruising to casually make light of what can be an extreme safety hazard on board. Leave the iron at home. Get a steamer or spend a couple of bucks and have the stuff pressed by the valet service.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 4th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Mikey Sr.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

I have been on seven cruises and again I called Celebrity and they told me it was perfectly legal and fine to bring a iron into the cabin. Please stop making yours own rules.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:05 PM
AR
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Here's hoping that you "iron civil libertarians" pack nice HEAVY irons. That way you'll probably

1) exceed the new lower checked baggage weight restrictions, forcing you to pay $50 to get your iron to the ship

2) cause your bag to be flagged by the new security machines because of "dense materials," forcing you back to the counter to have it searched.

Of course there are rules against irons, as well there should be. If the lines were smart, they'd restrict the amperage available at the wall plugs in the cabins so that anything more than a razor or a laptop would kick out a breaker which would have to be reset by an engineer. If they'd hardware all the lighting and the blowdryers into another circuit, they could actually pull this off.

To argue that irons are no worse than smoking is to argue that two wrongs make a right. That's specious. Half the passengers on any given cruise don't know what day it is, what cabin they're in, which end of the ship is the bow, or how to find the dining room. I'm going to trust them to unplug their irons? I don't think so.

AR
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old January 4th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Mikey, Sr... sorry, but you are simply dead wrong, however many cruises you may have been on. But, I can see this is going nowhere, fast. Let us hope that your luck holds, if not for you, then for those passengers and crew whose lives you may put in harms way.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Mikey Sr.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Get real. I called the cruiseline twice and the told me the same thing. It seems you are not of this century so I will tell you irons are not made of iron anymore. Most irons are fitted with an automatic shut off and are safer than you smoking in your cabin after a few stiff drinks. Travel irons weight about five pounds and are smaller than my shoes. They are ment to be taken anywhere. So my fellow passanger can rest well knowing that I will not raise the mercury on the Mercury this week.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the r

As I said, this is going nowhere fast.

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 13
Default Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

We take a small steamer but what really works best is Downey wrinkle free. For formal wear it is worth the price to have the cruise line do the pressing.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old January 6th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Re: Is there an iron and board provided in the room?

Missy... for the couple of bucks, compared to the overall cost of a cruise vacation, you're quite right... let the valet service do it.

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
boards, caribbean, cruise, cruiseships, crusise, iron, ironing, irons, provided, room, rooms, royal, ship, stateroom, ther

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iron on board ladycanuck Royal Caribbean International 6 January 27th, 2010 03:28 PM
Iron in the room? Tom Voss Carnival Cruise Lines 3 December 24th, 2002 08:00 AM
Iron on board? Teresa Carnival Cruise Lines 7 February 25th, 2002 05:55 PM
Iron and Board burtie Chit - Chat for Cruisers 3 January 7th, 2002 05:53 PM
iron on board cherri Carnival Cruise Lines 4 August 7th, 2001 10:29 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1