Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Default tender times?

Being a first time cruiser, I am confused about ship's times, tendering, etc. Do they really leave you behind if you are not back on board at he excact time? Do they leave excactly when they say they will? If the ship is sheduled to depart Grand Cayman at 5:30 pm, does that mean I must be back on board by 5:30 pm or sooner? I am trying to arrange a Capt Bryan's 1/2 day tour, which he says is from 1:30-4:30, and he says that he will have be back to the dock at 4:45, but we'll be "cutting it close". Any suggestions?? (I contacted Celebrity, but they were kind of snippity about not being able to guarantee anything unless we did their excursions.) Thanks- I get the best info here!
Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: tender times?

Hi Jillsue,
That is cutting it close, a good bet is to be back onboard about an hour before sailing time, yes, they pretty do leave on schedule. You may want to look into a ship excursion, that way, they do know you are on one of their tours and will wait?? Worth looking into, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 8th, 2003, 10:28 AM
AR

Count on them leaving exactly on time. And if you're not on board it's your problem. At tender ports there is always a "last tender" time in the daily bulletin and posted at the gangway as you leave. Arrive later at the tender dock and you'll have the pleasure of watching your ship drift away.

The lines will always recommend their own excursions, because they're a huge profit center. The one advantage you gain with a ship's excursion is that if the bus breaks down or is late for any reason, the ship will wait. But for people on independent tours, it will not.

Which has never dissuaded us from going off on our own. You just have to judge how much you trust your service provider.

Most of the outfits who provide tours at cruise stops are acutely aware of the importance of the ship's departure time. You're not the first person they've dealt with who has to be back to the ship. And they know how incredibly unhappy people get if they blow it. So as long as they tell you they'll have you back they probably will.

However, it's well to double-check before you start the tour that they know and understand the time you have to be back, and that they intend to get you there.

AR
Old January 8th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Admiral

The answer is quite simply "yes , they will leave you behind" "yes , if they say last tender is 5 pm and sailing is 5:30" they mean it". If you must take an afternoon excursion, take one of the ships' excursions, they will not leave if their own tours are late. They are not being upity they are telling the truth. I have watched people stand on thepier as the ship pulled away.
Old January 8th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: tender times?

Yes the ships pull out "On Time". We have seen on many a cruise were people were
back to the dock late - ship moving - and passangers left on dock.

Joe & Pam
Old January 11th, 2003, 12:27 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: tender times?

Right. People miss the boat all the time, but seldom because their private tour got them back late.

Most people miss the boat because they've been busy getting smashed in some local saloon and sort of lost track of the time.

AR