Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Sandie

Default Adults Only Cruises

Hello all!
Have a question for those that have taken a Celebrity "Adults Only "Cruise in the past year? I've noticed the cost is a bit more for the luxury of no kids. Would you recommend this option to others? Have not traveled on Celebrity before, so not sure if changing cruise lines for this perk is worthwhile?

Thank you in advance for your time,

Sandie
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Jeanny Mara

Default Re: Adults Only Cruises

Dear Sandie:

We just returned from a cruise on the Infinity (Christmas-New Year) and there were 550 kids on board!!! The first week (this was the 2-week Panama Canal Cruise) roving bands of 8-12 year old boys were making things quite unsafe, running down staircases, playing football near the glass elevators, running down hallways at 3 a.m., calling random cabins in the middle of the night, fighting in the dining room. Their parents were never anywhere near, in fact, one that I grabbed and asked said he didn't know where his parents were.

Eventually a total of about 80 people were kicked off the ship.

In other words, whatever a kid-free cruise costs, it's worth every cent!

Best regards,
Jeanny Mara
Old January 11th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Trudi

Default Re: Re: Adults Only Cruises

I second that opinion, we went on a New Year cruise (maybe the same) and we had kids running around, always unsupervise often late at night also received a phone call at three in the morning, even elevators that had all the floors pushed with no one in the elevator (kids maybe?) Parents seem to let their kids run wild on cruises ( I remember hearing one mom tell her kids to be home no later than 1 am and the child was proably 12 years old!!) and although I love children, a cruise without them sounds very inviting, We're thinking of it next time.
Old January 11th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Jeanny Mara

Default Re: Re: Re: Adults Only Cruises

Dear Trudi:

Maybe it was the same one or not! It was not only an annoyance, but if one elderly passenger (I am not one of them, I'm 5'9" and quite strong) had been knocked down and broken something, Celebrity would have had a lawsuit on their hands. One youngish but handicapped woman said she was knocked down 4 times by kids and that she was writing to the line and to ADA. As soon as I can find an address, so will I!

Jeanny
Old January 11th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Adults Only Cruises

You know, you never hear from the parents who take their kids on a cruise and then turn them loose as soon as the door is shut. You only hear from those who tell how well behaved their kids were.
Old January 11th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Jeanny!!
Never got to see you on the cruise...but I definitely think the number of kids should be limited. Princess limits to 200. Hope you and your family had a good time in spite of it al!!
Old January 13th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Sandie

Hi Jeanny and all that responded!

YIKES!! That would be my worst nightmare, nothing steams me more than parents that don't take responsiblity for their kids. When you're shelling out that kind of cash and this might be the one time of the year for your BIG vacation, how awful would that experience be? I would be HOT!! Shame on Celebrity for getting greedy and not limiting the number of children onboard like Princess does. My few bad experiences with kids on Princess still doesn't measure up to what you guys had?
I may be looking into the Adults Only cruises then? Or making sure that if I take another Princess Cruise that I chose a time when school is in session...Sad to say, but even 200 children sounds like alot to me!! (-:

Thanks for all your input!!

Sandie
Old January 13th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Richard Stock

Default Re: Re: Re: Adults Only Cruises

My wife and I are Educators and we both like kids (to a point... number wise). I really like the idea of a cruise line's limiting the overall number of kids on any given cruise. I think that it is easy to underestimate how difficult it is for many parents (even if they try very hard) to "control" their kid's behavior in the atmosphere of an invironment (a cruise) that has few "boundries." This is particularly hard with teens. I didn't know that Princess was able to establish a quota of kids on any one booking. As for adults only cruises, I'd pay the extra tariff in a heartbeat!! I think that Celebrity has winner in this concept!
Old January 13th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Admiral

I think an adults-only cruise sounds great... but also note that these bad experiences were over the holidays when everyone travels with their families. We were on the Millennium the week before Christmas, 12/15, and there were very few children around. Just depends on the time of year.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old January 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM
AR

This is an interesting thread, and I'm certainly horrified by the "mutiny of the anklebiters" on that holiday cruise. Just a couple notes:

1. If you're considering an adults only cruise over the holidays or in the summer, it might well be worth the difference in cost. But if you're going when school is in session, chances are there wouldn't be enough kids aboard to give them the "critical mass" they need to be disruptive. We've never encountered problems with kids on a cruise.

2. There was an interesting comment to the effect that the parents with disruptive kids never say anything, just those with little angels. Well, you know, kids are kids. We took our kids on a holiday cruise with all their grandparents on Sitmar back in 1984. There were lots of kids on board and all were well-behaved, simply because it was expected. There was a different atmosphere aboard ship in those days for reasons I won't go into, but the kids loved it because they got to be kids when they wanted to, and were learning to be grownups at the same time. The kids program was better than good--it was superb, and the kids' center was a place they all wanted to be. Whenever I'd stop by there, something interesting was happening, like the magician from the evening shows doing close-up magic with the kids. It turned out that one of the counsellors was a music teacher in real life, and she had the kids secretly prepare a concert that they presented in the theater on Christmas Eve. She even did the arrangements for the orchestra. It blew us all away--even the cruise director. Everyone on board--parents and non-parents--were thrilled and touched. The children's concert was the talk of the ship. This wasn't an issue of our "wonderful" kids vs. their "wretched" ones. It was just a time we'll never see again, when the awful things people do now--whether kids or grownups--just didn't happen aboard ships. It was a much classier time on the seas, and I miss it.

AR
Old January 13th, 2003, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Sometimes kids can be a problem, and lots of them can be even a bigger problem. ON the previous sailing of the Infinity from Florida to California, there were over 550 children onboard for the holiday cruise. For instance, they removed the tracking balls from many of the computer mouse's and were throwing them all over the place. They wrecked most of the listening stations in Notes. From what 've been told from the crew, it was real mayhem. This cruise we have a total of 2003 passengers w/22 children. Point: If you don't like too many onboard don't take a cruise during school vacation times and then you won't have to "pay a premium" for an adults only cruise.
Old January 13th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Passenger

I'm a teacher, so unfortunately, I really can't consider cruising except during school vacations! Hats off to Celebrity for offering Adults Only cruises -- for those of us who need a break from our job! Seriously, from the sounds of it, that Christmas Cruise-from-Infinity Hell was the exception in terms of the number of children, right? I'll be on Radiance (Alaska August 2 sailing) this summer, and hope there will be a reasonable number.