Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Joe H.

Default The smartest thing I've done

The smartest thing I've done in a long time.

We just returned from the Summit, What a fantasic cruise we had!!!!, and I finally did what I always said I should do.

My wife drinks a lot of diet Coke, a little wine and I drink a lot of bottled water, so our first stop was Key West. We went to Eckerds, the local drug store and loaded up. Got back to the ship and removed everthing from the fridg and loaded it up with our sundries and we were good to go.

I estimate that we saved $150.00 when I reviewed the end of cruise statement from this year to last year.

On our next cruise I am going to save even more by bring a mini coffee maker and my Starbucks coffee avoiding the Cove's $2.88 per cup of decent coffee.

Those little charges add up quick.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM
B. Parker

Default Re: The smartest thing I've done

I have always packed a carry-on bag with Coke and Diet Dr Pepper. I carry it on and then have a bag for all my purchases at sea. It save money and the packing headache on the return.
Old January 17th, 2003, 01:47 PM
hcat

where is the Eckerds located in Key West?..makes sense than flying with all that stuff in the bags.
Old January 17th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Joe H.

Default Re: Re: The smartest thing I've done

It is on Truman right off Duvaul st about a 1 1/2 from the ship. We walked and took a cab back.
Old January 17th, 2003, 09:33 PM
ertimariu

THANKS FOR THE INFO ON BUYING POP/WATER FROM ECKERDS IN KEYWEST - BUT I DO HAVE A QUESTION, YOU STATED THAT COFFEE IN THE COVE WAS $2.88 A CUP - IS THAT THE ONLY COFFEE AVAILABLE - IS THAT THE SPECIALTY COFFEES YOU'RE REFERRING TO - WHAT ABOUT ROOM SERVICE COFFEE, OR PLAIN COFFEE WITH YOUR MEALS - ARE YOU CHARGED FOR THAT COFFEE?? ANY INPUT YOU CAN GIVE WOULD BE GREAT - OTHERWISE I'M TAKING MY MINI COFFEE MAKER TOO!!!!!
Old January 18th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Joe H.

Plenty of complimentry coffee avalible, but if you are paticular about your coffee like I am, you won't like the coffee. This last cruise I just could not even drink it.
Old January 18th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Passenger

Joe-

Great suggestions! We are going on the Summit in about 5 weeks. Do you recall the name of the party/pool band?

Thanks
Old January 22nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
MichelleM

We do the same thing with the Kmart in St. Thomas. I would much rather spend that extra money on something fun, like another excursion, versus soda and water.
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Ralph Ralph 1

Okay, you spent anywhere from $2000.00 to $4000.00 per couple for this cruise and you cheapen the experience by having to serve your own pop?? Give me a break. And for the record, Celebrity pours Porpbeca coffee as their house blend and it's one of the best coffees in the world. So you can leave your "Starbucks" at home!
Old January 28th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Joe H.

IN YOUR OPINION.

Man you got a chip on your shoulder.
Old January 28th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Michaelu

Party band was AXIS-for comparison, if you've seen OPUS, you will be disappointed,as we were.
Old January 28th, 2003, 11:31 PM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: Re: The smartest thing I've done

I have to say it.....cheap...if you can afford the cruise then a $150.00 savings by hauling around can drinks ect is.......well...being cheap. Do you bring your own can drinks to a restaurant when you go out to dine?
Old January 29th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Joe H.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The smartest thing I've done

I would rather be cheap than foolish.

I do not work as hard as I do to waste my money foolishly or un-nesissarily.

Maybe the rest of you are wealthy enough to not worry about it, I am not at this point in my life.

So lighten up. Remember not everyone is as good as you.
Old January 30th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Passenger

The purpose of cruising is to relax and enjoy. If someone enjoys shaving costs off their vacation, then let them enjoy it! If another is not conerned by the charges for soda or "decent" coffe and it is enjoyable for them to walk up and put their sail-n-sign card down, then let them enjoy that! Everyone cruises differently, hence the plethera of ships. For all who have a problem on how someone else cruises, then maybe you need a cruise to RELAX!

SUMMIT bound 03/14 and can't wait!!!!

=D=
Old January 30th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Joe H.

Thank you,

All I wanted to do, was to share a good idea that was helpful.
Old February 1st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Bea Boat

Can't believe some of the sarcastic answers you got trying to be helpful. I didn't know you can take stuff out of the fridge. Did you give it all back to the Cabin Steward? I thought if you removed anything you were charged for it.
Old February 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM
J.H.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: The smartest thing I've done

They should have taken it, but instead we put it above the frig in the slide out draw.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 11:08 PM
Passenger

Are there any prohibitions for bringing on your own soda? It seems like it is just as easy to take it on with you as it is to take in on at a port.

I know some people try to bring on alcohol and you may or may not get away with it. I didn't know whether the same applies to soda.
Old February 4th, 2003, 06:07 AM
J.H.

You can bring it on then as well as any other time.
Old February 4th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Joe, I appreciate you for trying to pass on a money saving tip. When you say you're not wealthy, well guesswhat, plenty of super wealthy people don't waste money. I say if you want a mixed drink, or a coke, or even coffee in your own room, so what, it's your business. We bring mixer & vodka with us, strictly to drink in our room. We buy drinks when we are out & about on the ship too. To pay 3 or 4 dollars for 8 oz of coca-cola brought by room service (and then tip on top of that) is foolish, regardless of whether you are wealthy or not!!!!!!!!!! Keep those suggestions coming.
Old February 5th, 2003, 05:51 AM
J.H.

Default The smartest thing I've done

What a great way to put it.

I always say, you are only given so much money and it's up to you to get value and true worth from it.
Old February 6th, 2003, 12:07 PM
donnaluv2cruise

I think the best suggestion we've heard so far is bringing one of those coolers on wheels. When we get to San Juan we're going to stop and get a case or two of beer, throw it in there, and slap a luggage tag on it. Everyone I've talked to that has brought one of these says your room stewart will keep it iced for us all week if we tip him a little bit up front. Also going this route means you don't have to worry about messing with the mini bar. This little cooler on wheels gives you a place to put all of the stuff you can buy in the ports with all the money you saved. I figure $170? Don't worry- I'm sure we'll have a bar bill anyway.
Old February 7th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Passenger

My parents always bring a bottle of Banker's Club with them (the plastic bottle). They always hide it in their luggage just in case.

And some people need to remember, if you have a good travel agent, you aren't necessarily paying $2000-4000 per cruise. My mother books so freaking early the cruise often costs between $1500-2000 (not everyone who cruises gets a private balcony). Saving $150 on a $1500 cruise aint being so cheap. Haven't you ever tried to save 10% on something?
Old February 8th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Benjamin Smith

You are denying the bar servers tips when bringing stuff on board. I'm with Dave Starkey, I think it is cheap. I don't agree with bringing food and drink onboard cruise ships.
Old February 16th, 2003, 07:11 AM
General

This is a great idea! ! !
Old February 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Lenore

Sometimes it's not a matter of being cheap, it's a matter of availability. It just happens that I don't drink coffee or tea (can't stand the taste!), but I still like my caffeine jolt every morning like everybody else. I prefer Diet Mt Dew, or Diet Pepsi or Diet Orange, but ships NEVER carry anything other than Coke, Diet Coke and Sprite. I HATE Coke products, so I will be bringing some Diet Mt Dew on board with me for my next cruise......the Summit in 6 weeks and 4 days. Can't wait!
Old February 17th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Alexander Skabry

Default Smart = Arriving early

For us, the smartest thing I did was to arrive in port the day before. By going dockside at 11:00 a.m. the next day, my wife and I were onboard in five minutes (!!!!). Even better, our luggage arrived much sooner than normal (at our room by 4 p.m.- unheard of for us).

Plus, we saved money! Normally, we'd buy travel insurance for fear of weather interfering with getting aboard. The cost of the hotel room was more than offset by deferring to take insurance. Of course, not everyone will take that advice.
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:02 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Smart = Arriving early

And if you're coming from the Northeast and having to deal with snow and closed airports, it makes sense to be checking the weather at least 5 days before the cruise and getting yourself completely packed a day in advance --- just in case you have to change your airline reservations, leave the day before the cruise and spend the night in South Florida.
Old February 18th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Jazz

Default Re: Re: Smart = Arriving early

And take a taxi to port, forget the shuttles!!!! (FLL) Get there at 10:15 and on by 11...Enjoy the ship.