Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2003, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default Tipping in Specialty Restaurants??

I know there is a $25 pp charge in the specialty restaurant on the Summit, but what is the proper tip there? I assume that the tip we give to our waiter in the main dining room will not cover this dinner. Any suggestions as to amount????

Paul
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Tipping in Specialty Restaurants??

Do not tip at the time of your engagement. If you feel strongly about the level of service and you want to tip - and you will - prepare a separate envelope for the head waiter that served you that evening and present it to him at an appropriate time on the last day of your cruise. If you like, you can write a note suggesting that he distribute portions of what you provided to others that you specifically name (e.g., the assistant head waiter) or you can simply provide additional envelopes addressed to the persons you wish to tip. Make sure you ask the waiters name when you are leaving and then write it down so you don't forget it. Same for others you wish to tip if you do it that way.
Old January 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM
AR

Default Re: Tipping in Specialty Restaurants??

This is a fuzzy area. First of all, no, the tip for your regular waiter doesn't get shared with the specialty restaurant.

But, when they first opened the Olympic on the Millie, they were at great pains to tell you that the entire service charge went to tips for the staff there. After that, they raised the service charge, and whether the entire $25 still goes to tips is unclear to me, but some of it surely does. So that means the arrangement is a little different in the specialty restaurant: Tips are provided from the $25 charge, whereas no tips are automatically provided to the regular dining room waiters.

So, the question of additional tipping in the specialties becomes tricky. If the entire $25 goes for tips, it would cover a $125 meal at a land based restaurant at the going rate of 20%. With wine, that's about what a meal for one at the Olympic et al is worth compared to fine dining prices in major metropolitan areas. In fact, it's probably a little heavy, because the wine steward automatically gets his markup on the wine and liquor, just as in the regular dining room. So the proper comparison would actually be a meal without wine or other spirits, which would probably be in the $80-100 range per person.

I'd really like to know how much of the service charge is given to the staff as tips. Then I would calculate and make up any shortfall based on the value of the meal and the service. These servers are the cream of the crop and do an excellent job. They deserve to be rewarded, but accurate information about what's going on would be useful.

AR
Old January 21st, 2003, 03:36 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Tipping in Specialty Restaurants??

AR wrote:

> So, the question of additional tipping in the specialties
> becomes tricky. If the entire $25 goes for tips, it would cover
> a $125 meal at a land based restaurant at the going rate of
> 20%. With wine, that's about what a meal for one at the Olympic
> et al is worth compared to fine dining prices in major
> metropolitan areas. In fact, it's probably a little heavy,
> because the wine steward automatically gets his markup on the
> wine and liquor, just as in the regular dining room. So the
> proper comparison would actually be a meal without wine or
> other spirits, which would probably be in the $80-100 range per
> person.
>
It has always been my understanding that, regardless of the cruise line, that the service charge was for the staff, ie, tips. That's the only thing that made sense to me as they usually wouldn't be part of the tips given to one's regular waiter and asst waiter.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 22nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Tipping in Specialty Restaurants??

Frank:

Right, that was my understanding at first too, and as I say, I'm sure that at least part of the service charge still goes to the staff. But I have noticed that they no longer say that it all does, or at least I haven't heard them say that lately. It could be that part of it now goes to operations (non-personnel costs) and the rest to the wait staff.

AR