Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2003, 11:34 AM
Mary K

Default Why are South American cruises not popular??

We would like to book a cruise to South America next year (march 2004) on the Zenith but in another thread someone said that South America is "dismal". Why are they so dismal? Is it the itinerary? It certainly isn't the ship - - we've been on Zenith twice and love her.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2003, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Why are South American cruises not popular??

I just got back from that itinerary on the Zenith and would hardly call South America dismal. This cruise has something for everyone: Big European (style) cities, tango shows, beautiful theatre, wildlife, history, mountains and volcanoes, magnificent lakes, glaciers, fjords, and some of the kindest most friendly people in the world. This does not even touch on the fact that most of the terrain is Pristine with fresh air and clean water.

In answer to your question, many people look at the Mexican border and falsely assume that every country south of that border is just like Mexico. They paint all of Latin America with a very broad brush. (They also falsely paint Mexico with a broad brush as well.) They don't realize how unique and sophisticated the Latin and South American countries really are.

They see the long and expensive flights, that add significantly to the cruise fare, and balk. They don't understand how wonderful and special each of the Latin-American countries are.

Most prejudging of cultures is done out of ignorance. After all, all predjudice is a form of ignorance. Once they have experienced the many wonders of South America, they will likely want to return.

All said, there are parts of Patagonia that are pretty desolate.

That too, may be partially what they are thinking. A lot of people dream about a cruise and expect every port to be a major resort in the plastic American hotel style. The tourism economies have not been developed to any great extent at many of these tiny ports, which adds to their charm, in my mind.

This is an odd conglomeration of thoughts that is not very cohesive. The bottomline is that people often have closed minds to the South American cultures. Look at our art museums in this country. The featured artists are almost always dead white men of European descent. Seldom do you see the wonderful art of Latin American artists.
There are many great artists from Mexico, Central and South America. This ethnocentricity also ignores the contributions made by fine women artists. The next time you go to your local art museum, take not on how many Rufino Tamayo, Frida Kahlo, and Diego Rivera pieces they have on display.

End of Rant! Sorry!
Old February 2nd, 2003, 01:54 PM
First Mate

We sailed on Mercury last January, Rio to Valparaiso. It was a wonderful experience, and we would definitely go back again. The great cities of Rio, Buenos Aires, and Santiago were thrilling, The countryside and wonderful natural sights were outstanding. Do not be fooled by some of the comments you've heard. It is a great trip. We saw volcanos, fjords and glaciers. At Ushuaia, we hiked for 3 hours with Argentinian Olympic Athletes. At Punta Tombo we saw 500,000 penguins. We visited the Pre-Columbian museum in Santiago. Our experience going around Cape Horn was a real thrill.
Not many advertising dollars are spent on South America, unfortunately. It is an amazing experience. Do not hesitate to take this trip.
Many cruisers like the experience of pulling into a different port each day to have a different shopping experience at each location. Port after port of mindless shopping. You'll definitely get a different experience in South America, one that is definitely worth it!!
Old February 2nd, 2003, 03:45 PM
dick stein

Default Re: Re: Why are South American cruises not popular??

I agree south america is wonderful. In some cases they want more for airfare than the cost of the cruise and you will arrive tired after a long flight on both ends. If you visit Brazil factor in the cost of the visa. Argentina is restless but lovely. If you can afford it and don't mind the long flight go. Alaska is cheaper, they speak engish and you will see alot of the same things. Been to south america once, alaska 6 times. enjoy.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Why are South American cruises not popular??

I'm not sure but I think the person who mentioned "dismal" was referring to the sales of the South America cruises, not the actual cruise itself. I would love to cruise all way around South America. Hopefully, someday.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Why are South American cruises not popular??

The Southern half of South America is my favorite part of the world... a virtually unending panoply of changing and magnificent vista's, great food and wonderful people.

Chile, Uruguay, Argentina and, of course, Brazil are my destinations of choice. My favorite city in the world... no question, Rio de Janeiro. And, by the way, they are quite popular destinations and cruises to the area sell very well. It takes a very long time to get to that part of the world, which is off-putting to lots of Americans... which is yet another plus, in a sense.

Old February 2nd, 2003, 05:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why are South American cruises not popul

I agree with all the others have said, South America is unique & worth the effort to get there. Enjoyed it a lot more than Alaskan inside passage cruise!! Put as much info as I could into my long review of P&O's Arcadia in reader reviews "other cruise lines"
Old February 3rd, 2003, 06:48 AM
Mary K

I am so happy to read the above posts. My husband really, really wants to take this cruise next year. I just hope that Celebrity doesn't cut this itenerary. We wanted to go in January 2004 but they "redeployed" the Zenith and the first available itinerary we are interested in (Buenos Aires to Santiago) is in March 2004, so we will have to wait over a year to take this cruise!! If Celebrity cuts this itinerary looks like we will have to try another cruise line.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
LovetheSea

My mother and I took this 17 night cruise last year on the Mercury. Although it was one of my favorite cruises, it WASN"T because of the ports. I have been all over the Caribbean and both sides of Mexico and never found such poverty and pollution!
Many of the ports had garbage floating around in the ports while we sailed in. The ocean and beachs are dirty and polluted. It is not safe to walk around on the streets. Most of the houses if not all that we saw in the country and city had bars on the windows and razor wire surrounding their yard.
We did enjoy Arica Chili. VERY nice local people, good prices in the straw market, and yummy homemade ice cream. I would go back there in a second!
I also thought the excursion to the coffee plantation was interesting in Costa Rica. But they ran out of food on the buffet lunch on this one and a LOT of folks were mad I guess they are not used to the way cruise passengers can eat
I would say if you are curious, go. But be prepared for these things.

* I was only on the Westside of S. America. I have no idea of the Eastside.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 01:35 PM
hcat

For those who have gone: how does the water compare to a Carib sailing & what abt weather?. A friend just returned from Paraguay & sd it was a very poor country with lovely people & temp was 108F & very humid...the seasons are reversed.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 07:30 PM
First Mate

Not everywhere in the workd is Disneyland, fortunately.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 09:39 PM
Admiral

Love... what an unhappy series of comments.... MOST of the world, sorry to say, has extremes of wealth and poverty... including South America. It doesn't detract, in my opinion, from the glory of the scenery, the people and the history. I do hope you try the "East Side"... but, perhaps this is not for you. (Next time you're in New York, or Fort Lauderdale, or LA, or Chicago, or Detroit, or, whatever, take a good look.) It seems you saw only the down side. Santiago, for one, (on the "West Side") is one of the most beautiful cities on earth, I'd say... with great people, etc.

Old February 4th, 2003, 03:59 PM
LovetheSea

ErnieMCC... I find YOUR comments to be quite rude under the circumstances. I shared my observations about my South America cruise. I said the things I liked and didn't . Am I NOT supposed to have an opinion other than yours? I have traveled extensively and do NOT expect everywhere to be like Disney Land.
I don't see why we are supposed to just ignore the ugly and only see the beauty. It is all a part of the experience. Seems like you are being way too over sensitive on the matter
Old February 4th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Jim and Karon

LovetheSea:
We have booked the Zenith for this cruise next year. I, for one, appreciate it when anyone takes the time to give their take on a cruise I have booked or am considering. When someone has actually done a cruise I am considering, I want to hear about their experience. How can I make an informed decision if I only hear the good comments? I have cruised 23 times in the last ten years and I know for a fact that every cruise has it's good points and it's bad points. I perfer to hear both sides. Thank you for your take on this cruise and the ports.

Karon
Old February 4th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Well... perhaps... but I found your attitude to be boorish, painted with an extraordinarily broad brush and quite provincial. I do agree, however, that you are entitled to it and certainly have a right to post it here. I do find it interesting, though, how, with one stroke, you can unceremoniously strike off a goodly chunk of the world. It is not for everyone for sure, and certainly not for you.

No offense was intended, nor should one be implied. But, by the way, you are dead wrong about "South American Cruises Being 'So' unpopular". I have no idea where you got that idea. I suspect you meant to say "So unpopular with you" which you are certainly entitled to feel.

Post Edited (02-04-03 20:36)
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why are South American cruises not p

Just added a photo album to complement my review, we thought it a great trip but must admit there were some on board who had not done any research & did not bring suitable clothes. You will not like it if you are a sunbathing shopoholic who thinks Rio is representative of all SA
Eric