Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Passenger

Default New ships

I apologize if this has been discussed. Some time ago, I heard that Zenith and Horizon will be replaced in a few years with two new ships. I was wondering if anyone had news/information on these new ships, or could point me in the direction of finding such information. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New ships

They are certainly the oldest ships in the Celebrity fleet, and will certainly be replaced someday. For the time being however, they are both in great shape , the engines are reliable(something that cannot be said for the Millenium Class ships), and amoung other things are the only ships Celebrity has for sailing very profitable routes like Bermuda (where a small ship is required ).
Just wondering by the way why you were asking? Were you looking o buy one?
Old February 7th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Ha! No, I'm not looking to purchase. In fact, I've been on Zenith twice, and you're right, they are in great shape. Cruise ship information is a (sad) little hobby of mine. I'm interested to find out if there are any design drawings or concepts or something. From what I remember hearing, these ships will be about the same size as Zenith/Horizon (so they can do the Bermuda run) but will have private balconies (a feature Zenith and Horizon lack).
Old February 7th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Celebrity's new build program is over.. at least for the time being. There may be some drawings in the back of someone's mind somewhere, but certainly no ships on order in the near future.

Regards,
Kuki

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 8th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Benjamin Smith

Celebrity has no new ships planned. Hopefully this will result in Celebrity having the most consistent product of the big cruise lines. No more new staff to train and possibly Celebrity can have the best service and entertainment and not having to worry about staffing new ships.

Celebrity may need to replace the Horizon and Zenith some day, and I would hope if and when this happens then the crew's will be just transferred to the new ships. I see no need for Celebrity to replace these ships for at least another 5 years.

I, for one, am happy to see Celebrity not purchasing any more new ships or putting any more new ships in service. I think there are too many newbuilds being introduced.
Old February 8th, 2003, 11:03 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: New ships

I agree with Benjamin Smith.....currently there is no need for Celebrity to build any new ships. Eventully Horizon and Zenith will need to be replaced, but both ships have much life left in them if they are maintained properly and being refurbished on an ongoing basis. Currently there are too many ships and more new builds on the way from other cruise lines. Current cruise rates make me wonder how the lines are making any money?.(on just the cruise fairs)