After seeing many requests for copies of the menu for the Summit’s Normandie Restaurant, I decided to go ahead and type it word for word from the paper version that passengers are allowed to bring home. Please excuse any spelling errors; all the French words really challenged my computer’s spell checker (not to mention me)!
My wife and I visited the Normandie once (mistake, should have been more) during our 1/20/03 sailing of the Summit. The experience was extraordinary, and should not be missed by anyone sailing on the Summit. The numbers marked with a ** were the items we had during our dinner, and I can highly recommend every one of them!
The Normandie Specialty Restaurant
Soups, Salads and Appetizers
1. Gratinee Normande – The traditional onion soup with cider and cream added.
2. Veloute De Homard - A creamy lobster broth.
3. Salade Cesar - A classic; tossed and served at your table.
4. Tartare De Saumon, Oeufs De Caille - Potted fresh smoked salmon seasoned with herbs, lemon and fromage blanc.
5. Mousseline De Volaille Au Roquefort - A light and delicate mousseline of chicken and Roquefort.
6. Caille Farcis, Gelee Au Porto - Boned quail with forcemeat of veal, chicken and pork flavored with green peppercorns.
7. Tian De Legumes Au Coulis De Tomate – A composition of tomatoes, artichokes, eggplant, zucchini and wild mushrooms in a unique presentation.
**8. Goujonnettes D’Halibut, Sauce Tartare - Fillets of halibut cut in batons, coated with white bread crumbs and fried, accompanied with tartar sauce.
**9. Soufflé Au Fromage De Chevre, Coulis De Tomate - Delicate warm goat cheese soufflé served with a cream sauce and tomato coulis.
1. Lasagne De Primeurs Au Pesto – Vegetables and onion compote layered between sheets of pasta, enhanced with a Pesto sauce.
2. Loup De Mer Grille – Fillet of Sea Bass, brushed with tapenade and served with grilled vegetables.
3. Cassolette De Filet De Sole – Fillets of Dover Sole poached in fish fumet, onions and refined with cream and shrimp butter, garnished with shrimps.
4. Scampi Flambé – Prawns, wrapped in pancetta, flamed in Armagnac, and served on a bed of rocket leaves.
5. Supreme De Poule Faisan Braise Aux Choux, Sauce Cerises – The supreme of young pheasant hen pot roasted and bedded on Savoy cabbage, complemented by a sauce with cherries.
6. Cote De Veau Normande – Tender milk-fed veal chop sautéed with a light Calvados sauce, presented on spinach with an apple and morel turnover.
7. Carre D’Agneau En Crote – Rack of lamb coated with a mushroom duxelle, wrapped in puff pastry and baked until golden brown.
**8. Chateaubriand (2 persons) – Center-cut beef tenderloin grilled to your preference, sliced into delectable portions and garnished with fresh duck liver “Foie Gras,” sauce Perigourdine or Bearnaise with a complement of selected vegetables.
Cheese and Desserts
1. Une Selection De Fromages, Raisins Et Pommes – A selection of cheeses served with grapes and apples.
2. Crepes Suzette – A classic dessert of fine crepes flavored with orange and Grand Marnier.
3. Sabayon Au Marsala – A fluffy delicate Marsala-flavored sabayon
4. Bombe Surprise Du S.S. Normandie – A fine mixture of white and dark chocolate mousse with raspberries and spiked with chocolate curls as served on the S.S. Normandie 1935 – 1938.
**5. Soufflé Au Chocolat – The most classic and well known light soufflé.
6. Les Desserts Gourmands Preferes De Michel Roux – Michel Roux’s favorite bite-sized surprised desserts.
7. Selection De Cremes Glacees Et Sorbets – Freshly churned ice creams and sorbets.