Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:25 PM
Beginner

Default Request for Milliniem Med Advice

My wife and I are booked into room 7116 on the June 16 sailing of the
Millenium. I realize this is one of the smaller balcony cabins on the
ship. We would be interested in any feedback from anyone who has
sailed in one of these cabins on this ship.

Also, are the cruise excursions worth it? Our previous five cruises
have all been in the Carribbean, and we have often explored on our
own. But because of the scope of this cruise and the fact I have only
been to one of the countries involved we have tentatively decided to
depend on the cruise line tours.

Any thoughts on these tours?

Venice: Murano Glassworks, San Giorgio & Gondola Ride ($138 for two
people)
Dubrovnik: Transfer to Lopud Island ($158)
Santorini: Village of Oia & Santorini Island ($112)
Athens: Athens & Cape Sounion with Lunch ($198)
Naples: Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri ($354)
Rome: Imperial Rome ($296)
Livorno: Florence & Pisa ($314)
Villefranche: Monaco & Monte Carlo ($112)

Any thoughts from Mediterranean Cruise veterans would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Jack Nolan
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Monica Pileggi

Default Re: Request for Milliniem Med Advice

Hi Jack,

Iím sailing on the Millenium on Sunday the 11th. I have been to most of these places and find the cruise excursions very expensive. As an example,

Venice: You can take the vaporetto to the island of Murano for just a couple of bucks. As for a Gondola ride, you can negotiate for about $70 (of split the cost with another couple).

I donít know anything about Lopud Island. Iím planning to tour Dubrovnik Ė easy walk from the ship.

Santorini: I was there in May 2001 and the Oia is a short bus ride away. Fira is the main town where the ship will dock Ė lots of great jewelry shopping. Some of the people I have met (through cruisecritics.com) are renting a car to get around the island. Share a car with another couple.

My husband and I found Cape Sounion a lovely sight, but not worth the drive there. There is so much to see in Athens and is small enough to get around on your own. The metro is a 5 minute walk from the port.

Naples: We hired someone to drive us around the Amalfi coast and Pompeii at about $88 per person. Your trip of Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri ($354) is expensive, but it may be worth it to avoid your own transportation. For those three locations, thatís 3 different directions.

Rome is another city that you can get around on your own. My Mom and I plan to take the train to Rome, the metro to the Spanish steps, then walk to the heart of the city: Piazza Navona, Roman Forum, Coliseum, trevi fountain, Campo dei Fiori, etc.

We are also doing a tour with 8 to Pisa, Florence, and San Gimignano at about $50 per person.

Villefranche: Plenty of trains to Monaco & Monte Carlo - $112 is expensive Ė what does it include?

If you are interested, I can provide you with the tour guides for Florence and The Amalfi coast. Of course, you can contact them and come up with your own itinerary.

Again, I feel the cruise tours are very expensive and you can go on your own at most of the ports.

Ciao!

Monica
Old May 7th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich
Default Re: Re: Request for Milliniem Med Advice

I am interested about the excursion to the hot springs in Santorini. If you find out any information about it I would be grateful if you could please let me know. Have a fantastic holdiay and have lots of fun!
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Request for Milliniem Med Advice

Jack, unless you want to buy some glass, I would avoid the Murano glassworks. If you want to go to Murano island, all you have to do is go to the square and there are vendors all over the place trying to take people out to the glassworks - for free. There is just one problem, if a purchase is not made, then there is a charge for the ride! It is beautiful glass but unless you want to buy I suggest it is not a good way to spend your time in Venice.