CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Infinity--Panama Canal (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/209727-infinity-panama-canal.html)

Steve T. May 4th, 2003 11:39 AM

Infinity--Panama Canal

Just returned from an absolutely glorious 14-night Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity's "Infinity". The ship was terrific, food and service extraordinary, entertaiment good and itinerary just right.

The daytime excursion to the cliff divers in Acapulco was fine--the guide being delightful. However, the rather expensive "observation car" train excursion along the Panama Canal was poor. As a group of four, we excitedly paid $120. each in anticipation of tendering off the Infinity during the Panama Canal crossing to board a "restored 1930's-era railroad observation car" to backtrack to Panama City along the canal. We all were particularly excited about the promise of a tour and view of the Miraflores Locks from the ground. In short, the train did not take us to the locks--we had a horrendous 2-hour+(total) bus ride from the Pacific-side train station to the locks and back. By the time we reached the locks, the tours were closed. There was no side trip (as advertised) into what looked like the interesting city of Panama. The train ride back to Cristobal and the Infinity was entirely after nightfall.

The Canal crossing aboard ship was fascinating. Infinity lecturers and in-stateroom videos about the Canal were enormously informative. The other ports were fun. The staff and crew of Infinity were fantastic! The 14-nights flew by with numerous activities offered both during days at sea and in port. We would highly recommend Celebrity, the ship "Infinity" and this particular cruise. At the conclusion of our cruise we certainly envied those passengers who stayed aboard, having booked the return passage!

dave9 May 4th, 2003 02:53 PM

Re: Infinity--Panama Canal

I got off in San Diego just before you got on (that is a story of its own- how I did not get off in Ensenada). Without a doubt in my mind, I agree with you. Infinity is in wonderful shape. The food and service was extraordinary. The ship was so clean; I would have thought that she was still in her inaugural season. Plus, I booked the Penthouse Suite, which just made the experience better. I envied the passengers who began to embark as we were getting off; I wish the suite was available for your cruise, because I would have booked it onboard! What a great cruise.

Dave

Steve T. May 9th, 2003 02:00 PM

Re: Infinity--Panama Canal

Dave,

>>>...(that is a story of its own- how I did not get off in Ensenada)...<<<

We must hear the story? How did you ride the "empty" ship to San Diego???
(I'll bet "Claudia" would authorize most anything for a Pentouse Suite passenger <G>)

Steve T.

bobnpat May 9th, 2003 02:57 PM

Re: Re: Infinity--Panama Canal

Yeah, Dave, I was on that same cruise from Hawaii, ans was heartily cursing Celebrity as I stood in the rain in Taijuana waiting to make the border crossing. How DID you manage to stay on the ship, for future reference??