Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Default New Perk...

Greetings, Celebrity Cruises fans!

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL), the parent company of Celebrity Cruises just announced a new benefit for shareholders -- shipboard credits on all cruises with either either Celebrity Cruises or Royal Caribbean International. The amount of the credit is as follows.

>> Cruises of 9-13 days: $200

>> Cruises of 6-8 days: $100

>> Cruises of 5 days or less: $50

To qualify for the shipboard credit you must submit the shareholder benefit form (http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...r_Discount.pdf) with proof of ownership of at least 100 shares to the address printed on the form.

For those who don't own shares yet, today's closing price was $19.03 -- which means that you could buy 100 shares for less than $2,000, including commissions and registration. If you take one cruise of 9-13 days or two cruises of 6-8 days per year, the shipboard credit would pay back 10% of the purchase price -- and that's in addition to the dividends (currently $52 per year on 100 shares), for a total return of 12.6%.

Norm.
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:26 PM
Jazz

Default Re: New Perk...

How do I buy some shares???????????????????????????
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Admiral

Jazz,

How do I buy some shares???????????????????????????

Ah, very carefully.... ;-)

Actually, it's really quite simple -- but you do have to conduct the transaction through a registered stock broker.

>> 1. If you don't already have a brokerage account, open one. (For those who are new to stock transactions, I recommend Charles Schwab & Co. (http://www.schwab.com). Charles Schwab is a traditional discount broker, whose commissions might be somewhat higher than "Internet only" borkers like Datek and E*trade but not so high that they will kill you. In exchange for the higher commissions, you get staff who are ready to assist you whenever you need help. You can call a toll-free telephone line and talk to a real person or, if you wish, make an appointment at a local office in your area.)

>> 2. Deposit enough funds in your account to cover the cost of the transaction.

>> 3. Place an order on line to buy the stock via the broker's web site. To do this, you will need the ticker symbol for the company. (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., the parent of both Celebrity Cruises and Royal Caribbean International, trades on the New York Stock Exchange, or NYSE, under the ticker symbol RCL.) I recommend using a limit order with a price slightly higher than the price of the last trade, rather than a market order, to protect yourself against any sudden movement in the price.

Unless you direct otherwise, your broker will hold the shares in your account in "street name" (that is, registered to the brokerage). The shares will then appear on the statements that you receive periodically from your broker. If you wish, you may ask your broker to register the shares in your name and send the stock certificate to you, for which there will be a fee, but you should do this only if you intend to close out the account since you will have to open a new acount and deposit the shares into it whenever you wish to sell them. A photocopy of the brokerage statement showing the shares in your account is sufficient ot prove ownership to qualify for the shipboard credit.

Norm.
Old May 8th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Admiral

Everybody,

In going thorough shareholder materials, I just learned a few more details about this offer.

>> 1. The shipboard credit for cruises of fourteen days or more is $250.

>> 2. The offer is valid on cruises booked through April 2004, and may or may not be extended as management' sees fit.

>> 3. The offer apparently is a response to a shareholder initiative that would have established generally smaller shipboard credits for shareholders on a permanent basis.

The board of directors has recommended rejection of the shareholder proposal, so its defeat is pretty certain.

Norm.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Norm,
It did almost sound too good to be true, guess we'll wait and see, thanks for the update!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: New Perk...

I called shareholder services. They said that you send them the certificate and the credit shows up on your account when you board.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Re: New Perk...

Even if the deal expires in April 2004, I am booked on three cruises between now and then, so far, so I've made a 15% return already on my 100 shares, purchased yesterday! Thanks Norm!
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: New Perk...

Josie,

You're welcome!

By way of clarification, the shipboard credit is applicable to any cruise booked by 31 March 2004 -- even if the cruise itself occurs at a later date -- so I suspect that you will surpass that 15% "instant" return by a fairly significant amount.

It does appear that you have to submit a separate copy of the form (]url]http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/nys/rcl/Shareholder_Discount.pdf[/url]), with proof of ownership of the stock (i. e., a photocopy of your statement showing the shares in your account), for each booking.

Norm.
Old May 11th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: New Perk...

Eric,

I called shareholder services. They said that you send them the certificate and the credit shows up on your account when you board.

That's standard practice for shipboard credits. You do have to take the cruise to receive the benefit!

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Wally

Norm,

I have owned 100 shares of RCL for several years now. Please tell me how to obtain the FORM you are talking about. Also, do you have the telephone number of shareholders service?

Thanks,
Wally
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Dr Bob

Wally

You should have gotten your RCL share holder annual report two weeks ago. There were some loose papers in the package which had all the information.

Dr Bob
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Wally,

Bob is right -- you should have received a copy of the form with your annual report and proxy, which came in the mail recently. If not, you can download and print the form by going to the investor website (http://www.rclinvestor.com) and clicking on the last entry in the menu at the top of the screen ("Shareholder Benefit"). This investor web site also has contact information, including both e-mail postal addresses and telephone numbers.

Norm.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Wally,
YOu need to go to the RCCL web-site and print out the form, very easy. I printed it out and sent it in yesterday, so give it a try.

Message Boards Moderator