CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal night? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/209802-nice-sports-coat-slacks-enough-formal-night.html)

rarintugo May 27th, 2003 03:18 PM

Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal night?

Subject line says it all. I'm well adorned when it comes to nice slacks and sports coats (blue blazer -- very nice) and have no "formal" suit attire and would rather not have to rent or purchase and lug along a dark suit. Is a nice blue blazer with slacks and the appropriate footwear and tie enough to be accepted without nasty looks or should I bite the bullet and buy a "cruise" suit?

hcat May 27th, 2003 03:20 PM

Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal night?

My husb bought th e cruise suit & looks so cool in the formal photos as well as in his blazer!

Cruise Orlando May 27th, 2003 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal night?

If you put a pair of navy blue slacks with your blue blazer white shirt and tie you will blend in quite nicely. You can also rent a tux delivered to the ship for around $100. The formal thing is kind of fun and my wife really loves it.

Donna May 27th, 2003 04:33 PM

Hi Rar,
I'd go for the "cruise" suit, sounds like you will most likely be cruising again in the future, so you'd be all set. Another option, in our area, our local Gingess Formalware had a semi annual warehouse sale, they sell used and new tux's at a ton of savings, we did that a few years ago and my husband still wears it for cruising, also origionally bought it for our daughters wedding. Its been a good investment, so something else to think about.

Rev22:17 May 27th, 2003 05:08 PM

rarintugo,

Subject line says it all. I'm well adorned when it comes to nice slacks and sports coats (blue blazer -- very nice) and have no "formal" suit attire and would rather not have to rent or purchase and lug along a dark suit. Is a nice blue blazer with slacks and the appropriate footwear and tie enough to be accepted without nasty looks or should I bite the bullet and buy a "cruise" suit?

The outfit that you describe is very appropriate for the informal nights, but it is not proper for the formal nights on your cruise. As others suggested, your best alternative probably is to rent formalwear through the cruise line so you don't have to pack and lug it. The cruise line will deliver it to your cabin at the start of the cruise, and you simply leave it there at the end.

A dark business suit would be a good investment only if you expect to have other occasions to wear it -- whether ceremonial events, such as weddings and funerals, or for business purposes. If you don't have such occasions, there's not much point in spending money on one of those.

The other option would be to buy either a tuxedo or a formal dinner jacket outfit -- but, once again, this is a good idea only if you will have enough occasions to were it to justify the expense. If you expect to take a lot of cruises or you expect to attend "black tie" events at home, the purchase is worthwhile.

If you're somewhat nervous about getting the wrong sizes aboard ship and the ship being out of the right sizes, you also could check with local tuxedo rental companies. Here in the Boston area, many tuxedo shops offer "cruise" rentals for about $85 that include the coat and pants, two shirts, a vest with a matching tie, and a cummerbund with a matching tie -- thus giving you two different "looks" that you can choose to coordiante with your wife's (or companion's) outfits.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Norm.

Nanatravel May 29th, 2003 10:57 AM

Sorry Jim, a sports coat is not formal wear as nice as you may look in it. On some cruise lines, I am sure you can get away with wearing it, but it is not appropriate. A tux can often be purchased for $100 as mentioned at Gingas Formal wear, Frugal Fannies (may have recently gone out of business), other deep discount stores.
Bon Voyage

Erik May 30th, 2003 02:35 AM

rarintugo, After going the tux route and the suit route I am convinced that what you described, slacks and coat, will be just fine. You will get nasty looks from the purists. You may get nasty looks from the guy who was forced to dress up by his wife. You may get nasty looks from the kids and hear a lot of "he didn't have to wear this thing." After a number of cruises I think you should do what you want, feel comfortable and come close to fitting in. I will tell you right now that if I decided to wear my suit and had to sit next to you I would feel just fine. When it comes to shorts, jeans, and tshirts you would feel out of place and be uncomfortable. However, your attire is a far cry from that. That being said, we can expect to read all of the following messages about what rules to follow, why have rules, it ruins the spirit of the night blah blah blah. Go, be neat and comfortable. After dinner you wouldn't want to hang with the nasty lookers anyway. Save the cost and the luggage.

PJ May 30th, 2003 06:50 AM

I am somewhat surprised at the issues about dressing up. I have only taken one cruise, but I understood that "formal" nights were a part of the cruise experience. I find it odd that someone walking up to a MacDonalds in bare feet would obey the sign that says "No shirt, no shoes, no service", yet they balk and complain when a cruise line tells you in advance that there are "formal" nights and the type of dress that would be expected on those nights. And they have already "bent the rules" by permitting dark suits instead of requiring tuxedos. It's part of the experience. If you don't want to dress up, why not forgo the cruise experience and take a vacation at Sandals or something? Personally, the formal nights were a nice "date night" for my wife and I. The cruise line (Celebrity) offered babysitting on formal nights so we could do the equivalent of dressing up and going to dinner at a 5 star restaurant. Dinner was over in under two hours, and if the suit was really bothersome, go back to the cabin and change into shorts and go sit on the deck and watch the stars. True, a cruise can cost a fair chunk of change, and many may feel they have the "right" to dress however they want to when spending that much money, but there are others who want to experience the whole "cruise experience"...folks who book precisely BECAUSE they enjoy the formal nights and in many cases paid a lot more for their accomodations. Are they less entitled to their enjoyment than you are?

CGTNORMANDIE May 30th, 2003 12:58 PM

HI JIM,
CELEBRITY CRUISES ARE DRESSIER ON FORMAL NIGHTS. YOU CAN GET A BLACK SUIT OR A BLACK JACKET AND PANTS. SPIFF IT UP WITH A COLLAR-LESS WHITE SHIRT WITH A FANCY JEWELED BUTTON COVER. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE THE SUIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. THIS SHOULDN'T COST MORE THAN $80 IF PURCHASED AT AN OUTLET SO DON'T TELL ME IT'S A MONEY THING.

FASHION SENSE IS STILL A NICE IDEA AND CELEBRITY SEEMS TO ADHERE TO THE TRADITIONAL CONCEPT OF A CRUISE. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DRESS OR AT LEAST MAKE AN EFFORT THEN TRY NCL OR RCI. I ALWAYS FEEL SORRY FOR SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND THE ETIQUETTE ONBOARD. WE USUALLY SEE A FEW HOLDOUTS AND ALWAYS WONDER WHAT THE STATEMENT IS THAT THEY ARE TRYING TO MAKE.

Rev22:17 May 30th, 2003 10:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal ni

CGTNORMANDIE,

Welcome, and glad to have you aboard!

Your post makes some great points, but we really are not deaf so there's no need to SHOUT. In fact, some folks just might listen a little more attentively if you lower your voice....

Norm.

CGTNORMANDIE May 31st, 2003 12:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for forma

THANKS NORM,

I sometimes write in caps because I'm sight impaired and it is just easier for me to read without eye strain. As a person who holds a graduate degree in Special Education, I can tell you that caps are much easier on the eyes than trying to strain them with this small print. My apologies if this offends you. ( I REALIZE THAT SHOUTING IS IN CAPS BUT SOMETIMES ONE NEEDS TO SHOUT.)

ALL THE BEST,

ROSS

Betty Boat May 31st, 2003 07:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for f

I say read Erik's message again and go with it. I just returned from a Celebrity cruise and you will not get any dirty looks with your nice sports coat. My table mates were shocked however when they saw a man leave the dining room in a sweat suit, but no one said anything to him either. Why should you spend a $100 just to rent a tux. This board had me so intimidated about clothes being dressy enough and now that I cruised Celebrity, I know it's just a bunch of people that like to show off in evening gowns.

oceanlee June 1st, 2003 12:13 AM

It is very mean spirited when people tell you that you can spoil their "formal evening" because you are not dressed the way they think you should be.

Wear your nice sport coat rarintugo, you will look just fine. Enjoy your vacation and don't feel you have to impress anyone as long as you are nicely dressed. Have a great cruise.

PJ June 1st, 2003 09:39 AM

Why not fart as you pass their table...after all, you paid good money for this cruise so you should be able to do whatever you want to do, right? Having NEVER taken a cruise before, the information I had BEFORE I ever paid a dime was that there were things called "formal nights". I also had lots of good information that they provided about what "formal" was. At that point, if I disagreed with the whole concept, I would have decided against a cruise and booked a Club Med vacation somewhere. The idea that "yeah, that's what they say, but I'll make my own rules" exemplifies the "me first" attitude that is so prevalent these days. There are a few THOUSAND other passengers on that cruise ship, and every one of them got the same information that you did. Many look forward to the formal nights. I don't have the opportunity to "dress up" that often at home, and the "formal nights" sort of allows one to experience what typified a cruise in days gone by. Heck...did Leo Dicaprio run around in Dockers in the movie Titanic? So you've got a thousand people who paid THEIR good money to enjoy all aspects of the advertised cruise experience, only to find a couple of "question authority" types who are bound and determined to do it "their way". You can get a passable dark suit at a warehouse club that can be used for cruise formal nights, or graduation ceremonies, or weddings, or funerals, and they can be bought for a minimal amount of money. And they really aren't THAT difficult to pack. Look at what the cruise is marketed as...if that doesn't fit your expectations - LOOK FOR ANOTHER CRUISE LINE. If asking someone to consider others who are doing what the cruise line suggests is considered snobish, then I guess I'm a snob.

lysolq June 1st, 2003 11:34 AM

Another dress code thread!
Why do people who prefer casual attire usually stay away from restaurants whose dress codes require "proper attire" or "jacket and tie preferred?" Because they know that if they aren't properly attired, they will probably be denied entrance, albeit respectfully and cordially. They do not frequent such establishments, and they do not expect such an establishment to change its requirements to suit their own particular wishes (or maybe they do?). They dine at restaurants whose dining/dress philosophy is in line with their own.
Why, oh why, then, do these same folks insist on booking a cruise on lines that want to maintain the particular ambiance of formal night? Why don't they just stop their never-ending moaning and groaning and cruise those lines who offer exactly offer exactly what they are looking for? That way, everyone will be happier!

Betty Boat June 1st, 2003 03:01 PM

rarintugo said he has a very nice sports coat and plans on wearing it with slacks, shirt and tie. From what I saw on my cruise with Celebrity, he would not have been frowned upon. At my table for 8, if my husband had on a tux, he would have been the odd ball. And we did not know in advance who our tablemates would be. People cruise for more reasons than an excuse to wear a tux. It is wrong to say go somewhere else if you don't want to wear formal wear. Also, on the itinerary's, Celebrity was not requiring a tie for the semi-formal nights now either.

Rev22:17 June 1st, 2003 07:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for f

Ross,

I sometimes write in caps because I'm sight impaired and it is just easier for me to read without eye strain. As a person who holds a graduate degree in Special Education, I can tell you that caps are much easier on the eyes than trying to strain them with this small print. My apologies if this offends you. ( I REALIZE THAT SHOUTING IS IN CAPS BUT SOMETIMES ONE NEEDS TO SHOUT.)

Historically, so-called "lower case" type actually emerged as the standard because it's easier for most folks to read -- and users of the Arpanet (before it became the Internet) came to regard typing in ALL CAPS as "shouting" for the same reason. Just thinking out loud, though, would it be easier for you to read if you display larger type on your screen? There are settings in Windows that allow you to do just that....

Norm.

Rev22:17 June 1st, 2003 07:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough for formal ni

Betty,

rarintugo said he has a very nice sports coat and plans on wearing it with slacks, shirt and tie. From what I saw on my cruise with Celebrity, he would not have been frowned upon.

The fact remains that "a very nice sports coat and... slacks, shirt, and tie" does not conform to the prescribed dress for the formal nights on a Celebrity cruise. No matter how "neat" or "sharp" it may look, it is not appropriate attire for those evenings.

Also, on the itinerary's, Celebrity was not requiring a tie for the semi-formal nights now either.

Not to split hairs, but Celebrity prescribes "informal" rather than "semiformal" evening dress -- which means that a sport coat is proper attire for gentlemen (a "semiformal" evening rightfully requires a business suit). If you check any etiquette book, you also will find that "informal" DOES require a necktie for gentlemen.

Norm.

PJ June 1st, 2003 08:35 PM

rarintogo - my response was not to you...it was in response to "oceanlee" who said:

<< It is very mean spirited when people tell you that you can spoil their "formal evening" because you are not dressed the way they think you should be. >>

By the same token, it can be construed as very mean spirited when people spoil a "formal evening" of others by not adhereing to the dress code that was requested.

CGTNORMANDIE June 2nd, 2003 12:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enough f

HI NORM,

So little time and so much to do!!! Thanks for the info; it just seems that this particular board is extra small. "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW???"

All the best,

ROSS

mbuckellew June 2nd, 2003 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nice sports coat and slacks enou

In Internet Explorer, you can select "View" from the menu bar at the top, then "Text Size" and increase or decrease text size according to your needs. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/co...zone=GMT-0500f
Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

desertsailor June 2nd, 2003 01:30 PM

Have worn dark suit for all but one cruise when wore sportcoat w/tie. I felt comfortable each way. Do as you wish. It's your cruise and your bucks. If a cruise line wants to make it mandatory, they will let us know. To the best of my knowledge, Celebrity has not drawn such a hard line yet. Doubt they will do so.

PJ June 2nd, 2003 02:51 PM

I guess the problem I have with the "Do as you wish" line of thinking is this:

Let's say the Smiths have booked a cruise, and they noticed that there were two formal nights, which they find to be most enjoyable. It's their 20th wedding anniversary, so they opt for the Presidential Suite, paying $6,000 each for the trip.

The Jones' have also booked the same cruise, but they don't like the formal nights and plan on "doing as they wish", and they have booked and inside stateroom for $650 each.

Who is more entitled to their enjoyment of the cruise? Bear in mind, they were both sold the same experience - one was pleased with the suggestion, the other wasn't but figured it's okay to "do as they wish" because, after all, it's their bucks.

CGTNORMANDIE June 2nd, 2003 04:31 PM

THIS IS NOT ABOUT EQUAL RIGHTS!

This is about traditions that have been in place for the last 100+ years. Celebrity offers a more refined cruise experience that upholds these social traditions. There are many lines that offer "do your own thing" cruising; Celebrity is not one of them. The majority of pax choose Celebrity because of this. The minority of pax are unaware or just don't care. In their case "ignorance is bliss".

cathy June 14th, 2003 03:06 PM

My husband had refused to buy even a suit, but after 3 cruises and a few formal affairs, I convinced him to buy a suit. He bought a nice lightweight black suit, he also bought a tux shirt (about $25) which came with the black/reversable buttons and three bow ties, one black, red and maroon, the sales person even threw in the cufflinks. He spent about $400 for the entire outfit at an outlet store and looked like million. He even found nice dress shoes for $20, so he's all set.

Now I don't have to worry about him not having the right formal outfit. He looks great!

The onetime investment might make your cruise less stressful.

Save the blazer for the informal night.

Happy cruising.

gene624 June 16th, 2003 05:09 PM

FART!? Indeed, how crude! I would much prefer to see a person in a nice sport jacket and slacks than some gross, overweight gal or guy stuffed into an uncomfortable outfit. And I would never FART on board.

Jangail June 16th, 2003 06:32 PM

Personally, I see nothing wrong with men wearing a nice, basic dark business suit
or even an elegantly classy sports jacket/tie on formal evenings and semi-formal
evenings. I would think that men would always need at least one business type
suit for other occasions besides cruises such as weddings, funerals, parties, etc.
It makes sense! I also feel it is perfectly appropriate for Celebrity staff to still say NO
to T-shirt casual clothing on formal and even semi-formal evenings! Still, it behooves
all of us to show good manners and class by not being pointedly making others
uncomfortable, creating an unpleasant scene or creating an unnecessarily
unpleasant and unhappy ambiance. Just don't make other peoples' problems your
own, take pity on those who don't know better, and just quietly enjoy YOUR cruise!
If you keep your cruise space personal and don't let others crash your space, you
will have a lovely time!

Marc June 17th, 2003 06:36 PM

jangail, semi-formal and formal are not the same thing...not even close. One thing they do have in common, sports coat is not proper for either. However, sports coat is proper for "informal."

BuzbyUK June 18th, 2003 05:54 AM

Dressed for Dinner means Dressed for Dinner. If you prefer to dress down, Iím shore one of the cheaper cruise lines (3***) can accommodate people with little or no social etiquette. In the UK we have a long history of tradition and cruising the oceans like our forefathers did required GENTLEMEN to dress for dinner. (Caps should only be used in the engine room) Note: 1 x gentlemanís formal outfit £250 ($400) x 6 seven day cruises (2 formal evenings) = £20 ($33) per evening.

al heinlein June 28th, 2003 05:07 PM

im with erik. god people, get a life. does what someone wears make them a different person? i wear dressy slacks with a dressy mock turtle or silk shirt and i look better than half the people in the dining room. some of the suits ive seen should be burned and these guys run right to their cabin after dinner and put on jeans. if it has style it should be fine, who wants to sweat and not be able to turn their neck for 3 hours?