Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Default Casa de Campo

Is this port the same as Catalina Island? The descriptions in people's reviews make me think they are not the same port. We stopped in on Catalina Island during our Eastern Caribbean Millie cruise in December and had a great time, but in the latest Millie reviews I've heard that Casa de Campo is a waste of time.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2003, 11:30 AM
hcat

Default Re: Casa de Campo

usually ships stop at Catalina Island (tender port--just a beach) & those going to Casa De Campo or Altos de Chavon on the mainland of DR are ferried..
Old May 30th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Admiral

I just checked the Celebrity website under "shore excursions." Casa de Campo has several listed, while Catalina Island only has a few. Also under Catalina Island's excursions, it says, "Please note a 40-minute ferry ride is included each way to and from Casa de Campo."

This makes me think they have eliminated Catalina Island as a port and replaced it with Casa de Campo.

Anyone who's been to Casa de Campo care to comment on it? Thanks.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old May 30th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Michelle, I have a similar question as we just booked the Millennium for 2004. I emailed the Customer Relations department and Captain's Club. They did respond they will get back to me. The information on travel sites and from feedback on many cruise forums is conflicting. We booked thinking this was a nice beach day for the family. If I receive an answer soon, I will certainly share it with cruisemates.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:52 AM
Wally

I just returned from the Carnival Paradise (4/27 sailing). We did our own excursion on Casa de Campo. We chose to go to Bayahibe Beach on our own. Two couples went together on an air-conditioned van for a 35-minute ride to Bayahibe Beach. Our round trip excursion including a two hour visit to the beach was a total of $45.00 We each give the driver $12. for a total of $48.00 which included a $3.00 tip. The beach was gorgeous and stunningly beautiful. I have been on 19 cruises and this was by far the most attractive beach that I have ever visited. And that includes Bermuda. The downside of our visit was that this still is a third world country; with not many folks speaking English, and the only place to change your clothes or go to the bathroom, was in one outdoor porty potty. The beach was covered with swaying palm trees and soft white sand. There were also some vendors on the beach selling the usual items. This public beach was situated between two exclusive resorts and you could swim in the water in front of either beach as well as in the public area. While we were at the beach our driver patiently waited for us to return to the van for our transportation back to the ship. I would recommend that you wear your bathing suit under your clothing. When you come out of the water the air temperature is about the same as the water temperature, and is doesn’t take very long to dry off. I would not hesitate to return to this beach. Also, one can arrange this trip on their own by walking to the parking lot just to the right of the ship and not pay the exorbitant prices charged by the cruise ships. Note, you may not want to bring the kids since some women go topless on this beach. Our entire trip was about 3 hours and 15 minutes.
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:12 PM
First Mate

The Millennium no longer goes to Catalina Island, it goes to Casa DeCampo. We sailed on the 4/6/03 trip and I can honestly say that Casa DeCampo is not really worth visiting. There's really very little to see and what we did see were overpriced stores. We did go to the Kandela show on the island in the evening. This show was fantastic and should not be missed, however puting that aside there's not too much else to do. We would have much rather had a beach day at Catalina Island or even another day at sea.
Old June 4th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Does anybody know why Celebrity no longer stops at Catalina Island and instead goes to Casa de Campo? I thought I had heard that Celebrity shared that private island with Princess. Is that true? If so, does that have anything to do with the change? I was on the Mille Jan '01 and the Catalina Island stop was my favorite stop. I was looking at that itinerary for next winter. Are there excursions one can take to Catalina Island?

dana
Old June 11th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gene624 Send a message via AIM to gene624
Default Re: Re: Casa de Campo

I visited Casa de Campo several years ago. I think it was part of a Costa cruise. They had a beach barbecue and it was all very nice. I enjoyed it and I think most people would.
Gene in Birmingham