Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2003, 09:52 PM
jayman

Default "Seabather's eruption", from the Caribbean!

I wonder if ANYONE has ever heard or had "Seabather's eruption". I came home from a mid-March Millennium cruise with it. I had a rash-like series of reddish bumps on my lower abdomen that were extremely itchy, especially at night. My primary doctor and first dermatologist came up first with scabies (NOT!) or insect bites. Finally, my second dermatologist got it right. Occurs in Florida or the Caribbean...from the larva of a type of jellyfish that gets inside the bathing suit and releases toxin against the skin. My body still hasn't recovered, and it's been over 8 weeks - so I really had a reaction to this. I know it came from Nassau where we beached and swam in an active surf on our last full day. What a nightmare it's been since I came home! Now that I have the right gel to put on it, I'm hoping I can now get rid of it for good!
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2003, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Default Re: "Seabather's eruption", from the Caribbean!

I have not heard of that term, but I too had that rash. I got it at the Aquarium beach at Curacao. The man made beach had rather still however very clear water. Hydrocortisone helped me to relieve the itch and inflammation. I have very sensitive skin and see a dermatologist routinely. I did not need to seek medical advise as my prescription stength ointment worked.
Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:10 PM
jayman

Default Re: Re: "Seabather's eruption", from the Caribbean

Thanks. I can't believe I've had it for over 2 months, but really wasn't diagnosed properly until last week. It's been a nightmare!
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:33 AM
Joe Reynolds

Sea Lice is a term used at times, so the doctor looking for scabies is not too far off. Key is that the rash occurs just where the bathing suit covers the skin.
Treatment would be of course prevention, but after it is acquired then do things to prevent scratching with secondary infection which can make the condition much worse.
Benadry sprays, calamine lotion, caladryl and cortisone creams. This is a toxin and the organism is gone I think, so anti scabies drugs don't help. It is like having a multitude of minute stings. Allergic people tend to have a worse response.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 09:59 PM
jayman

Default Re: Re: "Seabather's eruption", from the Caribbean

Thanks Joe. I really had a reaction to this. I've been given "clobetasol propionate" gel, and it's finally (I think) subsiding.
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:16 PM
worfsmom

Joe is right.....it''s called sea lice......I've had it from Mexico...........you can put on what you like, but time is the only curing factor. Cortisone's will help itching/
P.S I'm a female, and wore only one piece bathing suits, so guess the extent that I had!!!
It was ugly, didn't scar tho................hubby only got it in axilla areas.