Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 12th, 2003, 09:31 AM
RINI

Default ZENITH - ????'s

I am looking at booking the Zenith 14 night Southern Caribbean in Jan for my husbands 40th. I don't see much talk about the Zenith. Any comments about this ship or itinerary would be greatly appreciated.

We are getting prices around $980 $990 pp for cat 11 & 12 - is this good?
This price includes taxes, port charges, etc.
Around $70 a day.

Here's the itinerary.......
Departs from Jacksonville, Florida with stops in Road Town, Tortola, B.V.I.; Basseterre, St. Kitts; St. George's, Grenada; Bridgetown, Barbados; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Thanks,
RINI
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Default Re: ZENITH - ????'s

Did you ever think that you can't stay home for $70 per day?
Cruise itinerary sounds wonderful. Zenith is a smaller ship by todays standards.
No rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks or 18 hole championship golf courses.
She does offer typical Celebrity food and service (outstanding) and a very nice assortment of lounges and "ammenities". Pool area is nice size (two pools), there are hot tubs on top stern deck as well as very relaxing series of decks at the stern of the ship.There is one main show room, a disco, a martini bar, a lounge just outside the dining room and another on the top deck, forward. Usually music in at least 3 spots at night. Shows are usually good . Food will be great as will service.
Celebrity makes my favorate cookies and serves them in the afternoon "tea" in the buffet on the aft of the pool deck .
. For this price you cannot go wrong on Zenith. Out of twelve cruises on twelve ships and 5 different cruise lines, Zenith and Horizon are tied for my third most favorate ships (only to be beat by their big sisters Mercury and Summit).
What a great cruise and such a nice gift.
Old June 12th, 2003, 01:49 PM
RINI

Default Re: Re: ZENITH - ????'s

PapaBill,
I agree! Especially in January living in Cleveland!!!!
$70 a day is a small price to pay for sun and warmth.
I just don't see anyone real excited about this ship and or this particular cruise so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for your input!
RINI
Old June 12th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Lene

Hi! I'm thinking of the same itinerary for Feb. ..and I,too have been hesitating. We plan to use non-refundable air miles for the flights and I have somehow felt doubtul about the cruise.Do you think that if there isn't a good response, they may reschedule the Zenith? Then I would be stuck with 2 tickets to Jacksonville!!!
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Admiral

We were on the Zenith 12-22-02 to South America. The ship is good and we had a great time. The food is adequate, but not special. Our service was good and our cabin was fine. Some people, including us, had plumbing problems and heating/A.C. problems. These were delt with adequately with multiple complaints. The tours were okay, but not excellent. I would give the ship three happy faces out of a possible of five.
Of the fourteen cruises we have taken, it was somewhere in the middle in terms of overall quality and value.
Old June 12th, 2003, 07:45 PM
RINI

Hi Lene,
I don't think that there will be a problem. Also, I'm not sure but this is what I am getting... I guess this 14 night is a new thing out of Jacksonville and it doesn't start until fall so no one has been on it. At least this is my understanding. So I think there isn't any real excitement going on yet, just because timing and newness of this itinerary/port for this ship. I've seen a couple of plumbing complaints but they seemed to be all taken care of. Then the one that cracks me up is about the TV reception, gotta laugh. TV is the last thing on my mind when I cruise. We are all different so to each their own. I think for a 14 night cruise for $70 a night how could I go wrong? SUN vs SNOW I can live with an older ship especially going to these great ports. I think were going to do it. I'm not worried about entertainment I can entertain myself just people watching. I like to make my own fun and meet lots of people.

Again thanks to all for the input!
Also Lene if you find out anything else, please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

~RINI
Old June 13th, 2003, 05:33 AM
MaryK

We were on the Zenith a couple of years ago. It's a lovely ship. Very well maintained. Didn't hear of any problems with plumbing or AC. I think you will really like the ship and the itinerary is wonderful. Go for it!
Old June 13th, 2003, 03:18 PM
rasul sister

We are also heavily considering this cruise for Oct. 2003. When we first sailed Celebrity, Zenith was our choice, and a great one at this. She was fantastic in 1994, but don't choose a cabin on the stern due to noise early in the morning while entering port. Everything is was lovely and she has been refurbished to some extent, I believe in 1998 or 1999. In sailing on several other lines, I find Celebrity the best maintained of the field.

I have a rate for Cat. 5 (outside) w/Captain's Club upgrade for $1048/person all inclusive of taxes and port fees. If you want my travel agent's name and number, please feel free to e-mail me. She always has the best prices and superior service.
Old June 13th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Lene

I would very much like the name of your travel agent. I tried to e-mail you but it didn't work.
Old June 13th, 2003, 05:44 PM
rasul sister

Sorry about the e-mail technical difficulties.

My agent's name is Blaire with cruise.com at 1-800-800-9552 x.223. We have enjoyed her fine service for around 5 cruises now and she is just super to deal with.
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Benjamin Smith

Papa Bill,

No Celebrity ship has rock-climbing walls, ice-skating rinks or 18 hole golf courses, regardless of size.

None of them have atriums, either.

Ben
Old June 13th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Benjamin Smith

Sorry to rain on any parades but I don't see how a high level of food can be expected for $70 a day. That's Celebrity's problem. They are very underpriced. The Zenith is a perfectly fine ship but regarding service, food, and product deliver, on this cruise, you just may get what you pay for.
Old June 14th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Yeoman

The itinerary is great, but I just sailed the Horizon to Bermuda (Zenith is the sister ship to the Horizon) and was not happy with this ship. The dinners were 5 star and the service great. But the Horizon had no ambiance, not like the mega ships. If you are looking for glitz, you will not find it on this ship. Keep in mind these ships were built in 1990. The Horizon needs an updated look. I'm going to stay with the ships built after 1999. Matter of fact, we were do disappointed of the oldness, we are going on the Summit next.

If you don't care about the ambiance of the interior of the ship, then go for the intinerary.

As far as the room, I'm sure make sure you are not in the 6000 area in the aft of the ship. These rooms are below the kitchen galley are very noisy all night long. I made that mistake, but I will never make it again.

Happy cruising.
Old June 14th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Dr Bob

I have had the opportunity to sail on the Zenith twice and the Horizon three times. The most recent was the Horizon repostioning cruise to New York in April. These two ships are maintained like they are brand new. They have each been recently updated and are joy to sail on. They are smaller then the other ships in the Celebrity fleet which is a distinct advantage when you want to get from point A To point B. That is not to say I don't enjoy the Millenium class ships, but at 965 feet that is over three football fields to cover ever time you go from the bow of the ship to the stern. The only thing I really miss on these two ships is the private balconies. Wish they could weld some on. If you can get by without a balconey these ships will deliver all the upscale ambiance that you are accustomed to on the larger ships of the Celebrity fleet. Enjoy!