Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM
Passenger

Default Getting to port in Philly

We will be on the 10/19 repo cruise of the Horizon, live in CT. Figure the best way to get to the port is to rent a car for 1 day and drive. Any better ideas out there? Will be flying directly home from Florida so don't want to return the PA.
Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2003, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Getting to port in Philly

I live about 15 minutes from Philly in the NJ suburbs. My suggestion for you, if you need to stay overnight near the port, is to stay in the NJ suburbs (maybe Cherry Hill) rather than in the city or north of the city. The NJ suburbs are nice and less pricey than Philly. Plus from Cherry Hill you will only have a 10-20 minute taxi to the port. Also avoid the Schuykill Highway/ Route 95 South around Philly if you can. E-mail me if you need any recommendations.

Karen

Carnival Glory- 8/16/03
Old July 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Karen, Thanks for the reply, no, we will not be staying overnite. Figure if we leave our house by 7am, should be at the pier no later than noon. Just wanted to know if renting a car was the best way to go, and are there car rental companies near the pier?
Old July 7th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Getting to port in Philly

Hello,

I live in Baltimore and am on this cruise. Lots of people already signed up for a Cruise Critic party. Look at cruisecritic.com.

One way car rentals are usually expensive, but if you are past that you would want to perhaps, stop at the pier to unload luggage and maybe your passengers. Then you caould make the very very short drive to the airport to return the car. Then cab it back to the pier. Not very far and couldn't cost that much. There may be information on a website for the Port of Philadelphia that I would think exists.

Lets meet on board.
Old August 9th, 2003, 01:47 PM
GWM Cruiser

Depending where in you are in CT, you could take direct AMTRAK train -- Boston/Washington, DC route -- to 30th Street [Main Station] in Philadelphia ... then short cab ride to pier.

No rental car agencies @ pier ... airport is very close and your rental car agency can call for taxi to come right to their office to pick you up [I don't think they would transfer you for free ... but you could ask].

Some rental car drop offs @ AMTRAK train station and in Center City ["Downtown"] Phiadelphia [but one-way rental rate might be higher than drop @ Airport].

Why not simplify and come a day or two earlier .. and sightsee Philadelphia [lots to do here]?
Old August 11th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Passenger

Thanks all. We can return the car the Avis at the Hyatt at Penns Landing. Only about 5 miles from pier. They will either shuttle us back to pier or give $5.00 toward a cab. Don't want to go to thru the airport hassle. Weve been to Philly many times and have always had a great time there. This time we just want to pack and load the car 1 time. Since its a 12 nite cruise and I overpack, that should be about 5 suitcases. Howard... hope to see you on board!