Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 2nd, 2003, 10:41 AM
JimC

Default Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Will be on a Panama Canal cruise on the Infinity departing from San Diego. Has anyone had any problems bringing a bottle of liquor onboard at that port? The policy seems to vary from port to port. I know wine can be brought but we'd like to bring a bottle of vodka.
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

No problem....we have cruised out of SD on Summit and Infinity both several times and will do a repeat of Panama Canal Dec. 7 from SD on Infinity.

We bring several bottles of our "special" wines (all have been 14 day cruises lest you think we are winos!) on board with us as well as a bottle of vodka.

We do make and drink mixed drinks in the room before or after dinner - or as a night cap. The wine we either drink in the room or bring to the dining room (paying the corkage fee, of course) to enjoy with dinner - other times we drink it in our cabin while enjoying the sounds of the ocean. The cabin attendant is more than willing to remove the "stuff" from the honors bar so that you can use the refrigerator for the duration of the cruise.

We also order drinks from the bar in the evening and by the pool and in the theater so we do spend some $$ at the Celebrity bars.

We've never had a problem with Celebrity in this regard. However, RCI is another story.

Unless things have changed (we were in SD in May on Summit with no problem) BYOB - but do not flaunt it.

Pooh Bear
Old July 10th, 2003, 10:08 AM
JimC

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me the closest place to the pier in San Diego where we can buy a bottle of liquor and some bottles of sopft drinks?
Old July 10th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

We always fly out a day early. In the past, we've taken a cab from the hotel (Sheraton Harbor something - it's close by the airport and not too far from the cruise terminal) to a place called Barrons. I don't know what's located right by the pier - I think I've read on some of the posts that there is a place to make purchases in the shopping area at the pier - but we've never looked because we really like the selection at Barrons.

In May, friends in SD were telling us about a Trader Joe's that has excellent prices and a good selection - but we weren't able to make it there then, but sure to hope to check it out in December....

Pooh Bear
Old July 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Beginner

We are also booked on the 12/7/03 Infinity out of San Diego. The Trader Joe's inexpensive wines are getting pretty famous! They sell a Merlot that is $1.99 per bottle (Charles Shaw). People in California call it "Chuck-A-Buck"

Old July 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM
JimC

It's called "two-buck Chuck" and they make a Merlot and a Chardonnay. They really aren't bad and are quite popular.
Old July 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

We sail out of San Diego next January on Mercury. Where is Trader Joe's? Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2003, 05:51 PM
JimC

They have stores throughout the country. The one is San Diego is not too close to the pier, but if you are arriving a day early and have a car you can check the location at
www.traderjoes.com
Old July 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you so much. We will check it out!!!!!
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:09 AM
JimC

Can anyone tell me if there is any problem checking-in and boarding the Infinity at San Diego and then getting off to go do some shopping? Do you just walk back on again carrying your packages or what?
Old July 15th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jonas:

Look forward to seeing you on Infinity in December - this will be our 3rd time on Infinity - and 2nd time on her thru the Canal....Nice way to relax prior to the holidays. Just the right number of sea days.

[b]MILLIE: The Beautiful Med...Barcelona to Venice- 5/15/05[b]
NOS West. Caribbean - 12/10/2005
[b]Summit Hawaii - 4/9/2006
NOS East. Caribbean - 12/02/2006
Infinity Alaska Repo - 5/7/2007
Old July 15th, 2003, 10:24 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

You are right, Jim! Two-Buck-Chuck. I bought a mixed case in LA. In the Seattle area they charge $2.99....must be the high taxes we are paying here.

Thanks Sharon: Looking forward to seeing you too! This is such a great way to pre-meet fellow passengers. I have seen you "elswhere" or is that your little sister Pooh-Bear? lol
regards,

Post Edited (07-15-03 22:31)
Old July 16th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Jonas:

Interesting about the Two-Buck-Chuck - we also have a Trader Joe's in Columbus - but due to the HIGH taxes on spirits in Ohio - I understand it's not as attractively priced as it is in other states - darned!

That's me - not my "little" sister - you've seen "around". We're signed up for the CC party (another board) - see that you are also. Really looking forward to this cruise - will be here before we know it. Can't wait to purchase that Costa Rican coffee - have depleated our supply we brought back last December - guess it IS time to return....

Old July 17th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Hi Sharon.
Yes you must be THE expert on Infinity and the Canal. We have taken only 2 other cruises ( Alaska on HAL and Caribbean on I-forgot- who!) I was born and raised in Holland and worked on the HAL, as a steward, when I was a kid....20. I went back and forth between Rotterdam and Hoboken, NJ. Had some real good times!
What is this about the coffee?....I like mine REAL strong.

Old July 17th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Jonas:

I'm surely NOT the expert in any category: I have a really hard time remembering things from one cruise to another - scratching my head right now trying to remember finite details of our excursion up to the coffee plantation last December - and have forgotten soooo much that I'm really not too much help to those who are thinking about doing that tour this December. (A really bad case of OA - read that as Old Age.)

Bet you have some interesting stories about your time with HAL....how long were you with them? I'd think that would have been a real Job (with a capital J)! It must be nice now for you to travel as a guest on these ships.

Coffee is one of the must purchases in CR. We purchased several bags on the tour - but there was also a booth set up right off the gang plank on the deck. And (again this is a memory thingy) seems like there was literature broadly distributed on the ship allowing paxs to purchase at a price break.....We, too, love our coffee strong. That's one of the few things I have against Celebrity - their coffee is so weak that by the second or third day I would kill for a good, strong cup of Colombian coffee. (Not to knock Celebrity - I guess I've heard other posters on other boards complaining about coffee on about all the cruise ships. Guess I'll have to bring my own coffee maker ().

Old July 17th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Brining Liquor on Infinity-San D

Hi Sharon:
Maybe we should change this thread to "anyone knows a good place to by coffee in SD?" OK....you bring the coffee maker, I'll bring the coffee!
I worked for them (HAL) about a year....got DRAFTED into the Dutch army.....what a let down. I remember having to bring about 16 white dress shirts...they, HAL, made us change 2X a day. Made loads of money (tips) but never had any time to spend it. I worked 1st class and people were very generous with their tips. Got a $10 tip one time for bringing an old lady a glass of water.....that's about $10,000.00 in todays money. Sorry people always accuse me of exaggerating (sp?) by a factor of 10!! Sorry again....I am rambling.
Tot ziens, Jonas (dutch for see you later!)

Old July 21st, 2003, 03:26 PM
Jaybee

Default Re: Bringing Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Hi, Sharon (Pooh Bear) So you're taking the Panama Canal cruise again..Great! We were on the 12/8 cruise last year, too. We're friends of Joy's. I think I met you fleetingly. That was only our 2nd cruise, but since then, we've gone to So America on the NCL Dream, and have 2 more this year with Celebrity...The Galaxy on 9/1, and the Constellation on 10/24. We have been might impressed with Celebrity.
Old July 21st, 2003, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Bringing Liquor on Infinity-San Diego

Jaybee:

Were you in the cafe with Joy and Bill on the last day of the cruise (that's where I finally caught up with her)?

Sounds like you have the cruise bug but good. Are you the one who has a condo on Aruba?

While we have booked the Canal again, we are still debating South America - I'd love to go in February - but, then, I also love the timing for the Canal cruise - since we have no family close by Christmas is not as festive as it once was - so being away for 2 weeks prior is really nice.

We try to make a couple of cruises a year. I'm hoping to book Northern Europe for next spring while on Infinity......so many places - so little time!