Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 7th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Beginner

Default Bizarre experience on Galaxy

This Spring my wife and another couple cruised the Western Carribean on Galaxy. An incident occurred on board that will certainly not be repeated if I cruise for another fifty years.

The Staff had a fun promotion to ask one of the greeters for Celebrity dollars. The greeter assigned the task was quite cute and I obtained my Celebrity dollars a few times and chated in a friendly manner with the girl. I viewed her in an avuncular way.

I'm close to 60, and not looking for a liason with a twentysomething and particularly with my wife watching. Apparently, the staff person felt that I was signalling availability, even though it was clear that I was accompnied by my wife. After requesting that the person, who I considered a friend at this point, to snap a picture of my wife and myself, the girl proceded to come on to me in a very aggressive manner. The performance ended with the girls arms around my neck while she pantomimed the word "please". All this was in plain sight of my wife and the cruise director, Susan Wood. Frankly, I was stunned by the performance and frozen (I've seen most everything but this was shocking). I'm normally quite chatty, but at this time my vocal chords wouldn't function.

At this point, my wife had seen enough and grabbed the girl by her long blond hair and screamed, "get off of him you *****". The struggle was short because I yelled at my wife to let her go (fearing law suit). My wife stormed off and I followed after her mumbling that the girl wasn't that out of line. As I passed the girl all I could think of saying was thanks for the Celebrity dollars and the picture. Susan Wood, with deprecating humor, yelled that I worked cheap for two bucks.

My wife accused me of hustling the girl (wasn't) and Susan Wood gave me dirty looks for the balance of the cruise. Is this a regular occurance on cruise ships? Is it wrong to chat with the crew members or ask them favors like picture taking? I thought Celebrity had a strict fraternization policy?

I don't know how to feel about the entire thing. If the girl lost her job over the incident, I feel terrible and partially responsible. On the other hand, I don't know if these staffers regularly hustle men for financial favors. I'm simply puzzled by this bizarre incident.
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2003, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default Re: Bizarre experience on Galaxy

What's Celebrity Dollars??
Old July 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Babette

That young lady was totally out of line... and both she and the CD were quite unprofessional in their demeanor.
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:03 PM
seabee

Is this the CruiseMate Message Board or Penthouse Forum I've stumbled into?
Old July 7th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Wow--Jimcruiser---lucky you !! I have been on a couple dozen cruises and have never been that lucky--I guess some have it, some don't !! Say that was the Galaxy??
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Josie

Default Re: Re: Bizarre experience on Galaxy

I'm with SeaBee. Why would anyone allow things to get to this point, with their "loving wife" on the sidelines? Get a life Jimcruiser.
Old July 8th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Bizarre experience on Galaxy

JIM, YOU OLD SEA DOG!!!

Can you tell me what brand of musk you were wearing that day??
Old July 8th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Have to say that I would sure like to know how "Mrs. " Jimcruiser would describe the above episode. My husband is a Shameless flirt. He has actually settled down a bit over the years, but if there is a pretty girl around he has to turn on the charm. And even tho he borders on being a geezer, some young ladies like it- particularly in a situation where there is a lot of attention being given to the "performance".

Could it be, Jimcruiser, that you were "kidding around" with her and she was "kidding around" back with you? Maybe not, but if so, perhaps things just got out of hand.
I may be way off base but I wonder if your wife thinks that you are a flirt too?
Old July 9th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Admiral

I think something smells fishy. "Jimcruiser" has never posted before starting this thread.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old July 9th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Bizarre experience on Galaxy

I'm thinking that there are two sides to every story.
I'm thinking the bizarre part of this was Mr and Mrs Jimcruiser taking this seriously. Cruise staff will almost always engage in some "flirtatious bantor" if the passenger opens them up to it. It never means anybody is dragging anyone down below decks for a liason, it only means they are, in a spirit of fun, "returning" banter with banter.
As I stated, I'm thinking the only bizarre part of this was anyone thinking the behavior was serious.

To physically grab the woman and call her a *****. I'm thinking that Mr. and Mrs Jimcruiser are lucky they didn't end up flying home from the nearest port.

The appropriate action for you to have taken would have been 1) indicate directly to the young woman that you thought her behavior to be a bit forward. 2) Avoid contact with the young woman and keep any necessary contact on a strictly business level. If you did not like the behavior , it was within your control to not play into it or avoid it altogether. 3)Indicate the suspected situation to the cruise director or his /her assistant.

Assaulting the young woman would get you thrown off many ships.
Old July 10th, 2003, 08:30 PM
Dr Bob

I have never heard of Celebrity Dollars. This message has to be fraud.
Old July 11th, 2003, 04:50 AM
J.H.

I don't believe this story for one moment. Sounds like he has a problem with Celebrity, and is making up thing about them

J.
Old July 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM
pc

Sounds pretty far-fetched to me too
Old July 11th, 2003, 07:50 PM
cruznut6

I saw this episode on the Love Boat several times! BTW, Jimcruiser, how's Gopher, Julie and Doc? Talk about flirts!!! If this really happened in the Spring, why'd you wait until now to post it? Come on Jim, I'm in my 50's and I like to flirt also, but my wife isn't trying to rip-out anyone's hair or cursing them-out. If you were a "victim" of sexual discrimination, then get a lawyer. If not, stop "hallucinating" and try another BB.

Bob