Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2003, 06:20 PM
hcat

Default Panama Canal ques

I hope this does not turn out to be a silly question. We live in NY & usually cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. We are thinking about Panama Canal cruises. Is there a preferred direction for doing the Panama Canal ? Whichever way we start we would do a day or two ahead but I am wondering if there is a difference, other than the time zone factors? If we start in FT Laud it would be easier & something we are familiar with but then if we stay two extra days on West Coast we will have all dirty laundry as opposed to possibly exploring there first & arriving back at Ft Laud...Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Panama Canal ques

hcat,

I hope this does not turn out to be a silly question. We live in NY & usually cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. We are thinking about Panama Canal cruises. Is there a preferred direction for doing the Panama Canal ? Whichever way we start we would do a day or two ahead but I am wondering if there is a difference, other than the time zone factors? If we start in FT Laud it would be easier & something we are familiar with but then if we stay two extra days on West Coast we will have all dirty laundry as opposed to possibly exploring there first & arriving back at Ft Laud...Just wondering.

I don't think it makes much difference one way or the other. Most cruise ships ships arrive at the canal around 7:00 AM and exit it around 4:00 PM, so the only difference is which part of the canal you see in the morning and which part of it you see in the afternoon. Celebrity's itineraries seem to offer the same ports of call in both directions, so the ports of call are not a major differentiator either.

Norm.
Old July 14th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Admiral

We did the Canal the last week of October ending about 11/9 starting in San Juan and ending in Acapulco, MX. The first week of November is just the end of their rainy season, so a good time to go. We were on the Vision of the Seas (RCCL) Another great ship would be the Legend of the Seas with so much glass. By checking on-line for Multi-City airports, I was able to book the air much cheaper than the cruise line which helped pay for the hotel nights at the end in Acalupco. They Hyatt was vry nice. American airlines was the only USA airline that flew into San Juan and out of Acapulco. I did not want to fly on AeroMexico out of Mexico City. Good Luck. We just did a land tour of Panama from our Carnival Legend cruise. It was really nice to experience the canal from land.
Bon Voyage
Old July 14th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Eric

Either way it is a great cruise. We did San Diego - FL at end nov/early dec, some rain & a scenic bay we cruised into was blanked out with mist & rain. Friends have done same cruise in reverse when ships reposition to Alaska in april & had super clear weather, so would advise that time as better than nov/dec
Old July 14th, 2003, 08:25 PM
hcat

Thanks for all the info..We are thinking Ft Laud on Infinity & then West to San Diego as we are more familiar with hotels & procedure to get out there. Then we could stay over in San Diego for two days. What do you think of late Jan?