Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2003, 09:56 AM
glum

Default millie damaged?

Our TA has just rang us and told us our millie cruise next week (7/22 barcelona > venice) has been cancelled.

apparently it broke down in Greece and is currently limping back to Barcelona for repairs.

anybody know any details, or what compensation packages Celebrity usually do. We're still thinking of flying out to Barcelona and maybe catching the train to Venice for the return flight. swithcing flights is going to be a costly nighmare if available at all! Grrr..

we had to arrange our own flights as the charter flight didn't proved oxygen
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to richsea
Default Re: millie damaged?

I understand they are giving full refunds & a free cruise if booked by 12/04.
They have set up a Help Desk 877-200-2897. This is getting out of hand with the breakdowns of the Millie class ships.
Old July 16th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Georges

seen at: http://www.cruisingpower.com/USP/Gen...51DF&br=CEL#CC 070203

July 16, 2003 - CELEBRITY CRUISES CANCELS ONE MEDITERRANEAN CRUISE

MIAMI -- July 16, 2003 -- Celebrity Cruises is canceling its July 22 cruise on Millennium to replace a thrust-bearing unit in the ship’s port propulsion system. The ship must enter drydock to replace the bearing. The cancelled cruise is an 11-night voyage from Barcelona to Venice. The ship is expected to resume service August 2.

"Unfortunately, the thrust-bearing unit in our port propulsion system is showing premature wear," said Jack Williams, president and chief operating officer of Celebrity Cruises. "I know this will upset our guests and I am truly sorry we must cancel their cruise. Regrettably, it is important we replace this unit as soon as possible. We will work closely with our travel agency partners to provide our guests with the best possible alternative plans."

Guests booked on the July 22 sailing will receive a full refund for their cruise, plus a free future Celebrity cruise of up to 12 nights, departing on or before December 15, 2004, excluding holiday sailings. Guests’ travel agents will receive their full commission for the July 22 cruise, plus a $50 rebooking fee, per stateroom, when their clients reschedule their cruise.

Celebrity has established a special Help Desk to assist guests and travel agents with reaccommodations. The Help Desk number is 1-877-200-2897.

The canceled cruise is expected to have a negative impact on Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.’s third-quarter earnings of $.04 to $.05 per share.
Old July 16th, 2003, 11:05 AM
David Starkey

The Millie seems to be having continued bearing problems with the propulsion system. This has been an ongoing problem since the ship was launched. Must be a design flaw with the proplusion system as some of her sister ships have also had problems with premature bearing wear out. I wish it could be fixed once and for all. I am afraid to book Millie due to her continued unexpected drydocks.
Old July 16th, 2003, 02:08 PM
First Mate

All I know is that this ship better be fixed and perfect by my August 2nd cruise, or I will be screaming!!!!

Does anyone know how long it takes them to fix these things? If they've had problems before and know there is something wrong why don't they just correct it so it doesn't break again.

Gee, now I'm so bummed out. I feel horrible for the people's whose cruise have been cancelled.
Old July 17th, 2003, 01:09 PM
hcat

This series of ship seems to have more than its share of problems--wonder if any re-design of theses sytems is possible when the ship is already built or will it always be a possibility for cancellation.. We are booked already for a future carib. cruise on summit but now have pause to book yet another on infinity for panama canal...that would be a big trip for us financially & with hotels on two sides of the US (Obviously) & I would hate to have the uncertainty of this type of problem, I know it can happen anywhere & anytime (such as Summit hitting something or RCL cancelling us once in favor of a group booking) but the odds on these ships seems to be higher. Any engineers out there with an opinion?
Old July 17th, 2003, 05:26 PM
glum

well we've managed to book onto a P&O cruise arround the med for August 17th for about a third of the price the millie cost us. So I'm several hundred pounds better off and a free cruise next year (going to try the constellation - yes I know its a millie class - on a Northern Europe itinery) so even though we're severly dissapointed there was a silver lining in the dark clouds

I just hope everybody else manages to re-arrange thier vacation and gets a satisfactory result.

The millie class do seem to have a few problems but I'm willing to give the Constellation a go next year - it hasn't put me off. But if the cruise gets pulled next year there will be hell to pay !
Old July 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM
Admiral

glum,

anybody know any details, or what compensation packages Celebrity usually do. We're still thinking of flying out to Barcelona and maybe catching the train to Venice for the return flight. swithcing flights is going to be a costly nighmare if available at all! Grrr..

According to the CruiseMates news page, there's a problem with the main thrust bearing in one of her azipod units. One of the design problems with the azipod is that the main thrust bearings are in the external pod, and thus not accessible for repair from within the hull.

The news item indicates that passengers on the cancelled voyage will receive both a full refund and free cruise of up to twelve nights departing on or before 15 December, except holiday sailings.

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM
SF Sharon

Is Celebrity helping passengers who booked and paid for their own air (beyond the free cruise), and if not, will the airlines allow you to rebook without penalty or for a lessened penalty?
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: millie damaged?

Anne,

Does anyone know how long it takes them to fix these things?

Typically about a week to a week and a half. The big problem is that they have to put the ship in drydock to do it. It takes about a day to put the ship into drydock and another day to take the ship out of drydock, and that's assuming that there's a drydock that's ready (keel blocks in place and positioned correctly, etc.) when the ship arrives at the shipyard.

If they've had problems before and know there is something wrong why don't they just correct it so it doesn't break again.

The real problem seems to be the design of the Azipod propulsion unit, which is an external pod containing a (very large) electric motor, a very short shaft probably supported by two standard shaft bearings, a main thrust bearing, a shaft seal where the shaft penetrates the pod's shell, and a propeller on the end of the shaft that extends outside the pod. These units attach to the ship via vertical struts that actually are part of the azipod unit. Since these pods are outside of the hull, they have to put the ship into drydock in order to repair anything within it. The unit and the vertical strut that supports it rotate to direct the thrust from the propeller in any direction, eliminating the need for separate rudders.

The ideal way to fix the problem would be to remove the Azipod unit and to install conventional rudders, motors, shafts, and propellers with the motors and the bearings inside the hull and the main shaft seal at the hull penetration, but that would be very costly if it's feasible at all. Such a change to the design of an existing vessel would pose several complications.

>> 1. The hull's structure would require reconfiguration to support the new shafts and their penetrations. This sort of structural modification is not trivial.

>> 2. The new main thrust bearings, on the front of the shaft, would require substantial new structural members to transfer the thrust to the hull appropriately.

>> 3. They would have to build new rudders and supports for them. In an ideal world, the new rudders would use the existing hull penetrations currently employed by the Azipod units -- but, again, it's most likely that those penetrations are in the wrong place, in which case it would become necessary to plug the existing penetrations and make new penetratons for the rudders -- with associated modifications to the framing.

>> 4. There would be a need to relocate whatever is in the internal spaces where the new shafts and motors would go. Depending what's there, such relocation might not be trivial and probably would have a cascading effect on other spaces within the hull into which the relocated items can go.

>> 5. There would be a need to reroute the electrical cables that currently power the Azipod units so they would run to the new propulsion motors instead. These cables obvously are rather large, so rerouting them is a major project.

When you consider the amount of work involved in such a project, it probably would be cheaper to scrap the vessle and to build a new ship from scratch. Unfortunatley, the company needs to recover its investment before scrapping these vessels.

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Admiral

hcat,

Any engineers out there with an opinion?

See my reply to Anne (http://cruise-forums.com/forums/read...=25988&t=25951).

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Sharon,

Is Celebrity helping passengers who booked and paid for their own air (beyond the free cruise), and if not, will the airlines allow you to rebook without penalty or for a lessened penalty?

I have not heard anything about air arrangements, but presumably you can use the tickets for your free cruise -- so the "free" cruise effectively costs the $100 booking penalty, which is pretty cheap.

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2003, 08:43 PM
hcat

Well--now we know how it works technically! Gald glum has made new plans whihc shows that attitude is everything! Making the best of it will probabaly lead to a new & fun experience with another chance at a cruise next time around!
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Paige21

My family and I are going on the Millenium on August 2nd, they had better have it fixed, but I don't want them rushing it!!! They better do a good job, lol!!!
Old July 18th, 2003, 09:25 PM
marishka

I don't know if anyone mentioned it above, but does anyone know where they will be dry-docking it?
Old July 18th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Babette

Word from onboard Millie is that they are going to Marseilles.
Old July 21st, 2003, 08:17 AM
First Mate

Norm,

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I've been away from my computer for a few days and just read it this morning.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for August 2nd.

Thanks Again.

Anne
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:12 AM
hcat

We rae on Summit next year but what is Infinity's history?. We are thinking of booking a Panama canal cruise on that ship but with such a big trip I'd hate to have exposure to a proplsion system problem--has it already been through the repairs? What are the chances of recurrence-- Just trust it to fate??? I must admit.some of the tech opinions I asked for were a bit over my head....
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:18 AM
David Starkey

Infinity was delayed out of the yard when she was built due to modifications on the pod system, but I think she also has had at least 1 repair to the system since it has been in service. I was to sail the inital sailing and was cancelled due to the additional pod work.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 07:29 PM
Admiral

hcat,

We rae on Summit next year but what is Infinity's history?. We are thinking of booking a Panama canal cruise on that ship but with such a big trip I'd hate to have exposure to a proplsion system problem--has it already been through the repairs? What are the chances of recurrence-- Just trust it to fate??? I must admit.some of the tech opinions I asked for were a bit over my head....

Problems with the Azipod units thta force cancellation of a cruise or two so they can put the ship into drydock for repairs seem to be more or less an annual occurrance on each vessel. On the positive side, Celebrity does seem to offer appropriate compensation when it happens.

Norm.