Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Ellis&Jeanne

Default Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

We also have missed ports because of weather or repairs, it goes with the territory. Read the small print. During our cruise On NCL Star, in Hawaii, we had to sit in port for 2 days and got a $50. per cabin, on board credit. I say you made out quite well. My husband and I will still be faithful Celebrity cruisers. Next trip Millie, Nov.30th. Then Summit, Matrch 15th.
Old July 25th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Christie

My husband and I just returned from the above named cruise. While the events on the Summit were unfortunate, we both agreed that we would rather not sail unless our ship was in top form. I do not believe in being pissed off on my vacation, so mostly I was just very disappointed, as this cruise was the realization of a 15-year dream. We don't make a lot of money, so this is not something we can do every year. The fact is that we feel we only got half a cruise, as two of the four ports had to be deleted from the itinerary and, with them, the planned shore excursions, one of which was a helicopter glacier landing that we could not do in any other remaining port. I can tell you that there were MANY angry people and many ugly scenes. This was due mostly to the completely inadequate response to the situation from Celebrity. There was not a lot of straightforward communication. The first day we were given an open bar for one hour and a $300 credit toward shipboard expenses. I used mine in the world-class spa, and enjoyed it thoroughly, but you can imagine that to someone who has paid $8000 for a Royal Suite, $300 is a mere drop in the bucket and hardly satisfactory compensation. The next day, I heard a rumor about a 50% off credit on a future cruise, but have yet to see something in writing. I heard from another passenger that details would be in a letter sent to our home. I think Celebrity could have done a lot better to keep people happy, and at the very least, they need to take a hard look at their public relations policies. They didn't try hard enough, in my opinion. As a result, the first two days were extremely stressful for everyone, and this unfortunately colored the rest of cruise. I didn't really start to relax until we got to the Inside Passage, and then the cruise was over! In spite of this, I will say that Summit is a gorgeous ship, and once we finally left Seward, the "true departure" started to shine forth. The service staff is outstanding and the food is more than fantastic. I would still recommend Celebrity. I just hope they learn from this how to respond to a crisis in a more generous and consumer-oriented fashion.
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Jennifer Buckwald

After saving money for years to go on an Alaskan cruise, it is devastating to miss 50 percent of the ports. We did not pay for a floating hotel, we paid to see Juneau and Skagway. The $300 compensation was a gesture of good faith, but I would have rather have gotten honesty. Instead, we were given free cocktail parties at 3:00 in the afternoon, and $150 per person to spend on Celebrity's drinks and merchandaise. A concierge told me the hole was "the size of a shoe", when in fact, it was ten feet long. That's a huge shoe.

Every time the captain came over the PA system, we all cringed - wondering what bad news was coming next. After arriving in Vancouver, I heard from a crew member that the ship was taking on water the entire journey. Their response to the problem was just awful, and I will never cruise Celebrity or Royal Caribbean again.
Old July 28th, 2003, 02:59 PM
RORY SAGER

I WAS ON THE SUMMIT AS WELL, AND HAVE CRUISED BEFORE, THEIR ATTEMPT IS PATHETIC, IT JUST BRINGS IN MORE MONEY FOR THEM. YOU ALSO MISSED GLACIER BAY, AND I DOUBT YOU ARE GOING TO GO TO ALASKA AGAIN, SO THAT IS SOMETHING YOU WILL PROBABLY NEVER SEE. THE LACK OF INFORMATION ON BOARD AND THE SITUATION ITSELF WAS HANDLED SO POORLY, I WILL NOT EVER CRUISE WITH CELEBRITY AGAIN. YOU BOARDED A SHIP THAT THEY KNEW WASN'T GOING ANYWHERE, THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN UP FRONT FROM THE START, AND THEY WEREN'T. THINK ABOUT IT, THEY KNEW THE HOLE WAS THERE, AND WERE TOLD BY THE COAST GUARD THAT THE SHIP WASN'T GOING ANYWHERE.
Old July 28th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

I'm very glad that others of you are coming forward on this board to agree that what we received was half of a cruise. We have yet to hear from celebrity. I am also VERY surprised at the very nasty comments from my very first post about this. Is this message board to berate others for their opinions over and over again or to listen to truly upset passengers? To those of you who were on the Summit with us thanks for writing and I hope we can keep in contact as thngs proceed.
Old July 28th, 2003, 09:44 PM
dawnep

Thanks to Jeanne Fleck for her original posting. In planning my first cruise, I found the experiences of the folks on this message board sincere and believe that most all of them were really trying to be helpful. I'm getting ready to plan my next cruise right now and I would like to thank Jeanne for sharing her experience. I myself had a glitch with Celebrity when I sailed (Constellation Jan '03) and was "on the fence" about going with them again. To review what you and others shared about their trip is information that I could never get from a travel agent.

These message boards are a place to share opinions and expereinces - you might not agree with Jeanne's whole outlook on this, but almost any post here deserves to be treated with respect - we all don't have to agree (we'd all be then fighting to get on the same line, for the same itinerary!) but we should at the very least show each other respect.
Old July 29th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Admiral

What are the cruisers from the Summit asking for? What compensation do they want from the Alaska Pilots Association and Celebrity?

Old July 29th, 2003, 05:23 PM
I Hate Whiners

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

I agree completely....GET OVER IT!

Stuff happens, and some people are always looking to lay blame and get something for nothing.

Getting lawyers involved, tying up the legal system, and burning cash that could be used to enhance productivity and actually BUILD this country is despicable, shameful, and immoral.

This country if full of shameless whiners.

Thomas Jefferson is retching in his grave.
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

Are you folks who boarded after the accident saying you would rather have been put on a bus and sent home when you arrived at the pier? What about things like your non refundable airfares and your post cruise hotel stays and cruise tours? Do you think that there was a TA sitting on board just waiting to book return home arrangements for 2000
individual passengers in a one day period? I know it was probably a disappointing experience, but do you think it would be any more or less disappointing to spend a week in the Caribbean trying to dodge a hurricane, or to be diverted to the assistance of a floundering ship or to be diverted from your route for a medical emergency?
Do you think the staff knew how big the hole was? it was not visible from the inside and was not even visible to the first set of divers. All things considered it is my opinion that Celebrity did everything they could reasonably be expected to do. 1) deal with the safety and well being of passengers, 2) do everything to attempt to expedite repairs and give passengers as much as possible of their cruise. 3) provide some on board compensation for missed ports 4) provide some substantial incentive to get to see what you may have missed at a later date.
I can understand the frustration with what was missed and the disappointment many had. If this was from a factor that Celebrity exercised some control over I can even understand the anger, but, since it involved an unforseen accident ( that's why we call them accidents and not "your faults") I do not understand all the pent up anger.
Losing the suitcases at the end of the cruise seems to bear no relationship to the accident and is the fault of the pierside long shoremen who do not work for (or under the control of )Celebrity cruise lines. Not acceptable and in my mind a much bigger inconvenience than what was experienced on the ship (although probably not related to the accident).
Certainly your choices to not cruise again as a form of vacation or to never cruise Celebrity or RCCL again are your right. Just as you choose not to patronize local businesses for whatever reason.
Let me suggest this to all of you who think you will get more by suing Celebrity, be sure to hire your attorney on a contingency basis. You have little to support your case as you accepted the terms of contract when you bought your trip and those terms do not allow you compensation in these circumstances. At least if you are on contingency with your attorney you won't be throwing away more money.
Happy cruising to all, and to all who experienced this situation first hand I wish you only happier vacations and success in your persuits of compensation. To those of you with missing luggage, may it be returned to you ASAP so you can rest easy once more.
Old July 30th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

Well said, PapaBill.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Old July 31st, 2003, 12:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

PapaBill--thank you! In reading through this thread, I was wondering if and when anyone was going to mention the contract. Before I ever left on my first cruise, I read every word and got clarification of several phrases/statements that befuddled me a bit.
Before I ever set foot on that magnificent ship, I made sure that I understood the contract and was truly comfortable accepting its terms.

Folks, in my contract, item #3 addresses the seaworthiness of the vessel.

Item #6 in my contract states, "Carrier may for any reason, at any time and without prior notice, cancel, advance, postpone or deviate from any scheduled sailing or port of call, or substitue anohter vessel or port of call, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to Passenger by reason of such cancellation, advancement, posponement, substituion or deviation."

Presuming that the contracts for the "hole" sailiing contained the same conditions as mine, then anyone who accepted their contracts also accepted the above terms/conditions.

I'm not a legal expert by any means, but it doesn't appear to me that Celebrity had any obligation whatsoever to compensate anyone for what happened in this case. Nevertheless, they made what sounds to me like a generous offer.

As PapaBill said so well, accidents sometimes happen. That's just part of life. Celebrity very specifically defined their obligations in the contract they provided in the cruise documents. If you didn't read the contract, didn't understand it, or weren't comfortable with its terms, why did you agree to it?

Best wishes for happier future vacations!
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Minor clarification to my above post - It is my understanding that accepting the contract means that you accept all of its terms. I'm not a legal expert, so I can't say for sure. But that was certainly my undestanding when I agreed to my contract.

I find it a very sad commentary on our society that anyone is actually considering legal action in this case.
Old July 31st, 2003, 09:06 AM
Ellis&Jeanne

AMEN!! Papa Bill and Traveler. There is always someone that will be unhappy with whatever they do. We have seen people like them on every cruise we have taken. I for one wouldn't like that let something ruin my vacation, thank God it happened where it did and they found the hole, how would they like to be in the middle of the ocean and sinking!! Think about it.
Old July 31st, 2003, 06:08 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SN

Ellis & Jeanne -
I guess it all comes down to how one views a glass--half full or half empty. Personally, I prefer the half-full perspective...and folks who share it. :-)

Happy Cruising!
Old August 4th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Boo

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summi

Right on target. Sounds like we're dealing with the start of an "I hate Celebrity" club. They will fit in nicely with the "I hate NCL/Princess/Carnival/etc" group.

Boo
Old August 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Ortrud

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for S

Has anyone received anything from Celebrity yet? Any communication at all?
Old August 15th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Admiral

PapaBill and Traveler have said it right !

Yup, I'd be disappointed, but as the contract states, the line can change the itinerary.

Personally, I'd have had a great time anyway and would have used the 50% to go back next year and see what was missed this year.
Old August 19th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Janelle

Well said PapaBill and Traveler.

First of all, lets all be thankful that considering the hole was quite a bit larger than first believed, you are ALL SAFE! I would much rather attend a cocktail party and chill out in safety than to risk harm.

It is very unfortunate, but regardless of how many times a ship goes in and out of a port, things change and accidents happen. Perhaps Celebrity was a bit remiss in their communication with the passengers and they need to work on that if for no other reason than to put the passengers' minds at ease. But, you received pretty good compensation as many others on this board have stated. Not everyone who has been on a ship that has run aground and missed a port receive compensation. We've been in some horrific storms at sea and had to miss ports, but we received no compensation.

If folks weren't so "sue happy" a lot of things such as medical care would be a heck of a lot more affordable.

Now, if the ship continued on its cruise and put all of you passengers at risk, THEN you would have a reason to sue.

I truly am sorry that you had such a bad cruise experience and I hope that you will one day get to go back. Keep in mind, that with that discount if you keep an eye on the specials you should be able to get a very nice cruise. You don't have to be in the penthouse suite to enjoy the cruise.

Thank "God" you are safe and plan your next visit to Alaska. The rest of us who have had incidents on our cruises have gotten over it, gone on with our lives and cruised again to have a wonderful time. Try it. You might find out you feel a lot better!