Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Default Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

My intention is not to start a "flame" thread against Clelebrity with this one just simply to get the opinions of more experienced cruisers (this was our first) for what happened to the Summit. In case you are not familiar with what happened, the Summit was delayed in its departure from Seward for approximately 45 hours causing the cancellation of two ports. Celebrity offered a 50% discount for a future cruise (details are still emerging) and a $300 per cabin onboard allowance. Seemed like a decent attempt to make up for the obvious dissapointment. What's your thought?
Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

Good deal. Celebrity came through and the cruisers should be happy with what was given. Of course some won't .

Old July 19th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I personally think its a decent deal, but agree, some won't. Nothing can make up for the missed ports, they did still stop at some and can get a good discount off the next one.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 19th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Yes I feel that the offer that Celebrity gave was a good one. Of course not all will agreee.
It is a shame that ports had to be cancelled & I truly feel bad for the passangers on board her at the time this happened.

Pammie
Old July 19th, 2003, 09:10 PM
Beginner

I think you will find that most of the passengers think it was very weak compensation especially since they knew the ship was damaged 3 days before the passengers even got there. The boat is still not fixed and the next cruisers are missing their first port of Ketchikan. They were not notified until they were already onboard yesterday. Celebrity has to own up to this shoddy behavior. What a sour taste and what a shame for a nice boat, nice destination and fabulous staff. Yes we were given 50% off of our next cruise. We had two staterooms and since that discount goes for each stateroom do we then get both? Interesting. Our lawyer will be sifting it out as will many many others. Letters to Celebrity were already written from the boat and as we disembarked apprximately 800 names had been signed. I guess it really wasn't a small thing!
Old July 19th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

"disappointed to miss juneau and skagway, but the ship is wonderful and better safe. food was wonderful, the Normandy dining room is to die for. review to follow when I get over the jet lag!"

Well, the above was posted on another board by happy Summit cruiser. She was thrilled with her cruise and made the best of it all....
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:10 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Yes, they knew the ship was damaged three days before, but they could not discover the extent of the damage until the ship was in Seward. What would you have had them do? Cancel the whole cruise? I think the compensation was more than fair - and yes, I have been on a cruise where things went wrong and we didn't get a single red cent out of the cruise line! Be happy with what you got, technically they didn't have to give you one red cent!

Old July 20th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Fla Jack

When in doubt ""SUE"" Regards Jack
Old July 20th, 2003, 12:48 PM
SF Sharon

The air portion of a one-way Alaskan journey is very high, sometimes 50% of the cost of the entire cruise, if you get a great deal on the cabin. It's also a very long flight for most people.
Flying has become the worst part of most cruise vacations, a very major hassle sometimes.

In order to do this itinerary and see the two missed ports (major ports), that flight would be required again. I would like to see Celebrity cough up something significant for the flight, too, as well as offer free travel insurance for the replacement cruise (Princess sometimes offers free insurance anyway, as they did this summer for the Meditteranean cruises), and ensure that the 50% can be combined with any and all offers, with perhaps only blackouts during holiday sailings.

I was not on the affected sailing.
Old July 20th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Jeanne Fleck.....you retained a lawyer? Lol thats rich .

Old July 20th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Beginner

Sure did Rick and we will succeed!!!!! Along with about 800 other passengers. If yu weren't there -well..no comment that would be acceptable on this board. See ya ------
Old July 20th, 2003, 03:54 PM
cruzen2gether

The 50% off coupon should apply to every passenger. We were given coupons for the canceled Summit cruise in March of 2002 & they were even good on interline rates. Personally I think Celebrity did the best they could in trying to get the problem solved. I was also on the cruise (my second try at the Summit, it is obviously not my ship) & at one time saw a very angry mob next to guest relations. They could have given out more information to the passengers on what was going on. It drug on so long that every time I heard the captain come on with an announcement I cringed (what was next?). There were alot of angry people, some threating to sue. We decided there wasn't much we could do about the problem but wait it out. I can certainaly think of worse places to be stranded for three days than Seward. It is small, but beautiful & it was sure better than being at home. I hope they can get the ship fixed and it won't have to go into dry dock making Celebrity have to cancel a cruise or two. I don't feel the whole ordeal was Celebrity's fault, they just could have informed the passengers of everything that was going on. They crew didn't even know everything & they were left to answers questions and calm the angry people.
Old July 20th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Beginner

When you were given the 50% off for the cruise in March 2002 was it pr person or room. We had two rooms so what will happen in the room with three?
Old July 20th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Beginner

F.Y.I. -Anyone whos luggage got lost from the Summit to the Vancouver airport. The number they gave to call is Celebrity and they know nothing. My neighbor called Vancouver airport directly to the lost and found and her luggage was there! Give it a try! and good luck
Old July 20th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Allan

I do not think that Celebrity was OBLIGATED to offer any compensation. They usually do to maintain goodwill. It sounds like the lost ports were unfortunate and Celebrity offered generous compensation. I am tired of hearing attitudes of assuming entitlement to all sorts of compensation whenever anything goes wrong. This applies to all areas of society. I cannot believe some passengers are getting lawyers involved!
Old July 20th, 2003, 06:06 PM
cruzen2gether

It was per person/paying passenger.
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:27 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

You won't get squat. Read your contract. The compensation offered is more than fair. I hope your lawyer is very expensive.

AR
Old July 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SNAFU?

sORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU -WON'T COST ANYTHING. iF ANYONE IS OUT THERE WhO WaS IN cELEBRITY Lounge on the morning of disembarkation and knows about the letter please come forward. to others....Don't bother to respond with your negative opinions its a waste of your time and mine.
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summit SN

Where did you hear that the NB cruisers are missing Ketchikan. Haven't seen anything else about this
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:48 PM
JeffCoud

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did Celebrity offer enough for Summi

Glad I wasn't on that ship! Sounds like a boatload of complainers!

Jeff
Old July 20th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Joe Reynolds

Some things cant be helped in spite of all that is done. I think Celebrity did an excellent job getting the ship back in service.
I remember missing a port on an Orient Cruise in the Saigon River. We hit another ship and were delayed 7 hours while the authorities sorted out the details.
We were given a shipboard credit of $100. I guess we could have asked for more, but we were thankful no one was hurt.
================================================
Article below is from the July 15th Ketchikan Daily News

Cruise ship back in service after repairs
By the Associated Press & KDN Staff

A cruise ship damaged last week near Yakutat departed Sunday to continue its voyage south to Vancouver.
The 2000-passenger Summit is bypassing Juneau to visit Sitka on Tuesday and will continue to Ketchikan for a 12-hour stop on Wednesday.
No further interuptions to the ship's schedule are expected this season, said Liz Jakeway, manager of corporate communications for Celebrity Cruises.
The Summit was damaged Wednesday after hitting a rock as it was leaving Yakutat Bay after visiting Hubbard Glacier. The rock tore a 10-foot-long hole in the starboard side of its hull. The part of the hull that was damaged covered a ballast tank that can be filled with water to stabilize the ship.
The 965-foot vessel was under the control of Jack Thatcher, a local marine pilot, when it was damaged, according to Dale Collins, president of the Southeast Alaska Pilots’ Association.
Many large ships navigating Alaska’s waterways are required to take on a local pilot. Details about Thatcher’s service record were not immediately available.
The state Board of Marine Pilots will hold a hearing to decide whether Thatcher should be suspended until an investigation of the accident is completed, a process Collins said probably will take several months.
For more detail on this story, see the complete article in the July 15, 2003, edition of the Ketchikan Daily News.
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

Jeanne Fleck,

I think you should sue. But first, give back the $300 cabin credit, if you used it. Then sign a waiver for receiving any (future) cruise discounts that are given. Now go to the lawyer - I am sure you can find one who will take it on a contingency basis. Then when it is all over and done with, count the dollars you get - remember the lawyer will get 30-40%. Would give you odds that you won't get what Celebrity offered in the first place. Now if you want to save the 30-40% contingency just hire the lawyer on a fee basis. Then, I know you wont realize what you would have had you accepted the Celebrity offer.

I really think you need to get in the real world. Yes you were inconvenienced, but you did get your 7 nights on the ship. You missed a couple of ports and that is the sad part of this ordeal. But you suffered no real injury, no real monetary loss and what Celebrity offered you, IMO, was not only fair, but was something they really did not have to do (read the cruise contract). They did it to placate souls such as yourself.

Because of the accident, you were given a box of lemons. You should do what others on your cruise have done. Accept what Celebrity offered and make some lemonade.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old July 20th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Sue--sue--sue--- My god--- wouldn't you have hated to have been table mates with this woman? Get a lawyer-- sue somebody---call everybody in sight-- show the world just how brilliant you are. You got more than you deserve. I hope they can rescind the offers made and you get nothing. Better yet, stay away from Celebrity so I won't ever run the risk of having to be on a ship with you. Good grief. If you went to Florida and it rained, would you try to sue because they say it's "the sunshine state"?

( The ship was under control of the local pilot when the accident happened--don't forget to sue him too.)

Post Edited (07-20-03 21:53)
Old July 21st, 2003, 01:26 PM
Admiral

Good point Ron.....am i wrong in thinking that Celebrity has no responsibility for the accident? Does'nt the Pilot Assn insurance cover the damage? So should'nt JF and 800 (???) other pax be suing the Pilot Assn? Celebrity is giving the pax perks for goodwill not legal reaponsibility. The next time Deb and I miss Grand Caymen because of rough seas (tender in) maybe we will sue! lol

Old July 21st, 2003, 02:20 PM
Passenger

Sorry, I have to disagree with your opinion. We were told that an Alaskan cruuise was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We missed one half of the ports which were to be the better of the four. My husband and I were extremely disappointed, knowing that we will probably never be able to take such a trip again. Half of our trip was ruined and yes, I would be satisfied with half of our money returned to us. There are many who would choose not to go on another cruise in the future and I am one of them. At 38 years of age I hopefully will do much more traveling in my future. If the hole, dishonesty and damaged propeller were not enough of a let down, try this on for size....I have not yet seen my luggage since I have been back (three and a half days). It was left outside our stateroom at midnight as instructed and never got on the proper bus. My patience, sanity and trust of people has been tried. I hope you never have to experience what we all went through last week. Please walk in someone else's shoes before you assume they will be a perfect fit. Happy sailing to you!!!!!!
Old July 21st, 2003, 02:36 PM
Passenger

For all of you people who feel we are unjustly satisfied with the compensation that we have yet to see, please remember that the cruise line was well aware of the damage for two entire days before we set sail. At least give us the option to cancel the trip for a future date and stay at home, or board the ship and miss half of the ports. I guess they weren't too concerned about our loss, because they will certainly be reimbursed for their loss. They most certainly spoke to their lawyers. This is a business for them. For us, it was to be a vacation!!!!
Old July 21st, 2003, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Well, I guess the smart thing to do is have a pet lawyer travel with us whever we go.
Old July 21st, 2003, 10:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to DocJohnB

Just to clarify, I believe they were aware that there was some damage, but were not aware of the extent until divers were put in the water to assess the damage in Ketchican

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body, BUT rather to SKID In BROADSIDE, completely used up, totally worn out, and SCREAMING "WOW---WHAT A RIDE!!"
Old July 22nd, 2003, 10:45 PM
Babette

Isn't it amazing that 800 people can read a business card "Attorney-at-Law, (555-1212)
but they can't read a cruise ticket contract??

And further amazing is that an attorney can't read a cruise ticket contract either!!!

Since these 800 are entitled to NOTHING, yet they have received a $300 credit... and 50% off another cruise (and that's 50% off the lowest price they can find)... and more than likely many did avail themselves of the free drinks proffered onboard....their damages are more than compensated.

I'd urge everyone one of these days to take a look at P&O's brochures.. where damages to be awarded for cancelled cruises, missed ports, changed itineraries, etc. are covered.

These Summit folks made out VERY WELL!!!!!!!!!
Old July 24th, 2003, 12:42 AM
RICH2

did we get enough?? depends on how you look at it as far as money spent and are going to spend. we paid over 4 thousand for our once in a lifetime cruise to alaska. if you look at the times we were supposed to spend in ports, we were in sitka bout half the time we were supposed to be there and with only three tenders running, we did not get to town till 11 am after waiting watching cnn for 1.5 hours in the theater. (back by 3:30 to sail at 4 which turned out to be after 6).
the way i see it, we lost 2.5 ports of call out of 4 and whale watching was "0". now to go back and see what we originally went to see, we have to spend another 2 to 3 thousand making an final cost to see alaska 6 to 7 thousand. not what i planned on spending !!
my main complaint was communication or the lack of it. the right hand did not know what the left was doing. i personally feel me and the the other 1900 or so passengers got screwed and there is absolutly nothing we can do about it.