Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Nita

Default Thanksgiving week/college kids

After loosing out on our Norway cruise we are doing the Constellation Thanksgiving week. With us, our daughter, son in law and 2 grand daughters; one a Jr in college the other a senior in high school. How many other 18-25 year olds out there that week?

Also lots of questions about Celebrity as we have never cruised the line before. All this talk about dress codes? 2 formal nights we understand, but do more guys wear suits or tuxes? What about the other 5 nights and capris for the gals?

How's the entertainment? What about shore excursions? Any special ones we shoud know about?

This is funny, usually I am the one giving out answers, now it's my turn to ask?

Thanks a bunch,

Nita
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Thanksgiving week/college kids

I have travelled Celebrity (Mercury) around Thanksgiving. There was a broad range of ages on the ship and certainly a number of teens and early 20's ,usually with their families. The ship is big enough that you should find enough similar aged young folks to keep your grandchildren happy.
Don't get nuts about the formal thing, you will probably see a slightly higher % of tuxes on men (and a few less sports jackets) than on Carnival for example, but, whatever you wear is fine.
The other nights are divided into informal (semi formal) and casual. The first and last nights will be casual. Not shorts , jeans or tee shirts ,that's too casual . Informal is supposed to be sport jacket and tie, you will be fine with nice shirt and a jacket if you have one, casual is a 3 button polo and dockers type thing. Do keep in mind your waiters will be full black tie (or white dinner jackets), every night. Note I describe in terms of what men wear.Women should wear the appropriate equivilant.
Capris? Maybe , there are capris that look dressy and capris that might as well be shorts, the latter would not be appropriate. Having said all the above about dressing, wear what you are comfortable with, the dressup police are not going to give you a ticket.
Shows and entertainment are excellent. The "poolside" bands on Celebrity are the best , their stage shows are excellent, house orchestra and dance bands are usually quite good. You normally will have several choices of evening entertainment.
You can go on line with your booking number and look at shore excursions on Celebrity's web site and they can be booked in advance (and paid for as well).
Where are you going? Perhaps I can suggest excursions.
Have a nice time , actually I think you've ended up on a much better ship.
Old July 24th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Nita

Papabill, we will be doing the Southern caribbean. Of course enmbarkation is San Juan. We have done this twice before, but a couple of the islands are new to us, one being Antigua. We had thought about the eco tour but it's too long. We did a long one last year and almost missed the ship. You want to see someone panic stricken, not to mention the way our driver was taking turns. I will stick with the 4 and 5 hour tours thank you. Our daughter lived in St Thomas for a couple of years, plus have toured there many times, do you have any ideas for Barbados or Casa De Campo? Those plus Antigua are new. Actually Barbedos isn't, but we don't want the same tour we did last time. Thanks a bunch for any help you can give. We are looking forward to a new experience even though we are NCL loyalist from beginning to end.

Nita
Old July 25th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Todd R

Default Re: Re: Thanksgiving week/college kids

NIta,

Your crusie sounds lovely! What type of cabin (category) did you end up going with?
Old July 25th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Nita

Todd, we went with balc deluxe. The suites were not within our reach, but as long as we have the balc it's fine. Hubby and grand daughters have never had balc cabins so this will be a real adventure for them. Happy cruisin to all of us.

Nita
Old July 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Nita, It sounds like a wonderful trip. If you have evening time in Old San Juan, I suggest you have dinner at Restaurante Baru. It is probably my favorite restaurant in the whole world. It is beautiful and lively, has amazing service, and the best "tapas" I have ever experienced. It is a teenager friendly restaurant that will surprise everyone with its quality of food and service. The prices are not bad either, a real bonus!

It's fun to order several small plates and share. The Caribbean/Spanish fusion in the food preparation is amazing. There are excellent cocktail, beer and wine choices too.
You can dress in nice casual clothes and be very comfortably. Have Fun!
Old July 25th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Nita

Chuck, thanks for the tip.

Nita