Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 11:26 AM
Ela

Default Rough seas NYC-Bermuda in late Sept/Oct?

Hi everyone,
we're considering going to Bermuda for teh 1st time. I am pregnant and it will be our last major vacation for at least a yaer!!! We're also looking at Cenury - Western Carrib (we loved it last time!!!). Bermuda would be more convenient (we'd have to drive to FL otherwise)....

While we can handl rough seas pretty well, I heard that Bermuda waters can be especially rough. So we don't want to risk our last vacation for a while to be a bust

Thanks!

Ela
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 12:29 PM
AR

Default Re: Rough seas NYC-Bermuda in late Sept/Oct?

So you're asking us to tell you whether you'll have rough water on your particular trip? And if you do whether it'll upset you in any way?

I think I speak for most everybody when I say "We have no idea."

The Bermuda waters have been known to be choppy in the Autumn. I've experienced them and they don't bother me. Whether they would bother you is an open question.

I do think that people worry far too much about this sort of thing. But if thinking about the possibility of rough water is going to make you nervous, just don't go. Being apprehensive and worried is not what a cruise is about.

AR
Old July 31st, 2003, 01:29 PM
Ela

I am not being apprehansive but I am trying to figure out if Bermuda waters are in fact much rougher than Carribean waters. I experienced some rough weather in the Carrib. and it didn't bother me. But becuase of my condition (being pg) I would prefer to minimize risks so I can fully enjoy it... and if the waters in the Bermuda are much rougher in that time fo the year I just will go with the Carribean. No reason for you to make a huge deal out of my question..

I don't think it is unreasonable for me to ask if someone had experience of crusing to the Bermuda in the fall...

Thanks anyway..

Ela
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:06 PM
JANz

Ela, ignore the ignorance....
Old July 31st, 2003, 08:49 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Rough seas NYC-Bermuda in late Sept/Oct?

See, the problem is that I have no way of knowing what "rough water" means to you. You may think something is rough when I'm not even noticing it, or vice versa.

I'm not just theorizing.

The second cruise we ever took--back in the fall of 1976--happened to be from New York to Bermuda. As we sailed down around the Battery and past the Statue of Liberty a young woman asked me whether this was my first cruise. I said no. She said, "Is it always this rough?" I had to look outside to be sure we'd left the pier. We were in completely protected dead calm water, but she was completely serious. This was, in my context, a lovely ride to Bermuda and back, but I happen to know she was sick nearly the whole time at sea.

Chances are if you encountered some reasonably rough water in the Caribbean and it didn't bother you you'll be OK. Of course, as a guy I have no idea how to factor in the pregnancy angle. But the point still is that if it's going to bug you and make you nervous beforehand, you might think of flying to Bermuda or going someplace else where you'll be comfortable, because the point is to have fun, not to be uptight.

Despite JANz's opinion (and notable lack of anything cogent to say), I don't think this is an ignorant point of view.

AR
Old August 1st, 2003, 01:27 PM
Ela

Default Thanks!!!

I agree with you AR and that's precisely why I wanted to make sure the waters aren't too rough... But considering the hurricane season I know it's possible it may be 'interesting'... Since it will be our last vacation in a yaer or so, we've decided to probably go w/ the Carribean itinerary for now and see Bermuda another time. I'm with you - don't want to go on a cruse and constantly worry how it will be.

Ela
Old August 1st, 2003, 02:31 PM
David Starkey

Have had some "rough sea's off the North Carolina coast going to Bermuda from NYC.
Old August 2nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
kpgclark

We cruised the Western Caribbean in April, a time when seas are supposed to be calm. Well our crew told us they were the worst seas they've experienced in three years- 25 foot waves. Also, it was cloudy, cool, and rained a lot. Sorry to be graphic, but people were vomiting everywhere. So I say go where you want to go and don't worry about the weather. It's unpredictable. Despite the weather, we had a fabulous time with the kiddies on the Disney Magic.
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:15 PM
Admiral

Ela,

Whenever you're out on open ocean, there's a possibility that it can get rough. OTOH, September and October are prime hurricane season in the Caribbean, so there are no guarantees there, either.

The last time I came across the North Atlantic by ship (March/April 1984) we got into a storm and rode out thirty foot seas for two weeks. The ship, USS Saipan (a 40,000 ton helicopter carrier) had ten to twelve foot waves rolling down the full 800 feet of flight deck the whole way. The ship's chaplain had arranged a "steel beach picnic" on the flight deck for Easter Sunday, but we had to cancel it because "surf was up" on the "steel beach!"

It's not very likely that you will encounter anything like that on a cruise to Bermuda in the early fall, but there's always a possibility. OTOH, the ship probably will head elsewhere (Canada/New England, for example) if there's a hurricane moving in that direction, so there's little reason to worry. On the whole, Bermuda probably is a better bet than the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Norm.