Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:11 PM
Liz R

Default Summit or Horizon - HELP

Deciding on Summit cat 1A - Concierge class on 2/2 or Horizon suite cat 2 - really no price difference and both are 11 days. Will I miss the tub and the larger room for the balcony. Ugh I have to decide today because it is the last suite on the Horizon..Thanks much
Liz
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2003, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Summit or Horizon - HELP

The two ships hardly compare (although Summit is currently my favorate ship and Horizon is tied for third favorate, that's out of 12 by the way).
Horizon is a nice ship. Small by todays standards but has just enough of everything for me. No room for grand atrium lobbies , but nice and compact. Nice dining room, theatre, several nice lounges. Two pools, a nice pool area. Several nice quiet decks at the stern. No balconies of course and no thelasotherapy .
Summit has it all. New (relatively) large but not mega large. Nice pool areas, many nice lounges, and great theatre. Normandy restaurant if you want something REALLY SPECIAL. Great two level dining room at the stern . Beautiful atrium lobby, outside glass elevators , llibrary , thelasotherapy, balconey rooms are generously sized .
Both will have great Celebrity food, staff and service.
Old July 31st, 2003, 03:09 PM
Liz R

Default Re: Re: Summit or Horizon - HELP

Thanks Bill - too bad all those gorgeous aft cabins are gone. I think I'll try the Summit. We went on the Galaxy and loved it. My husband wanted to do the same cruise again, but I said that was lame.
Old August 6th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Yeoman

I've been on the Horizon and wasn't that crazy over it. (Sorry all you Horizon groupies) except for the dining room food/service, it was great.

I'm booked on the Summit for a 10-night So. Caribbean in December and can't wait. I've only heard great things about the Summit. And if I love it like many others, I'll be on it again and again. The Summit is much newer and larger ship than the Horizon.

I would consider the Summit.
Old August 7th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Benjamin Smith

Horizon was designed in the late 1980s, came into service in 1990. There was no emphasis on balcony cabins, in fact, she has none. There's no internet room (though there may be an area now). The Horizon is pre Michael's Club, Martini Bar, Champagne Bar, Thellasotherapy pool, aft 2 level dining room with picture windows, aqua spa. However, in 1998, she received a Michael's Club, Martini/Champagne Bar, a very small aqua spa, but I believe no thellasotherpay pool. Horizon also had some of her hot tubs removed. What Horizon has, over Summit, is teak decks, and aft area for pax, not balconies. She also has an overlook outside of her observation deck for pax space. I regard Horizon as a midsize ship, not a small ship.

Summit was designed in the late 1990s, came into service as the 3rd in the series of the Millennium class. She has the specialty dining room, the big flower shop that Celebrity calls "conservatories", the 2-level listening room, and most of the features of the Century class except the aft-located lounge, a powerful thellasotherapy pool, aft space for passengers, teak decks, aft promenade that wraps around the ship. For her size she's lounge deficient, IMO. Summit is pretty fancy and fairly contemporary, but I've found that few experienced cruisers and Celebrity fans like her as much as they do the Horizon. I regard Summit as a megaship, but not one with a lot of public rooms.