Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:00 PM
steveg

Default Question about flying home from Venice for those who have do

We're planning on doing the Millennium Barelona to Venice Med cruise next summer. On another board there is a thread about early flights out of Venice. One of the readers indicated that Princess told them that they could make a 6:15 AM flight out of Venice using their (Princess's) transfer to the airport. We also would like to make a flight at that time at the end of our Celebrity cruice, since if we took a later flight we would have to stay overnight in Amsterdam for our connecting flight home. I called Celebrity customer service. As usual they were less than helpful. They told me that they tell their passengers not to book any flight from Venice earlier than 11:00 AM. From those of you who have flown home from Venice, what has been your experience in getting to the airport for an early flight. Should I follow Celebrity's advice and book a later flight, incurring the cost of an extra hotel night, and worse, having to use an extra vacation day from work, or can I make such an early flight. We do arrive in Venice at noon the day before and also wonder what alternatives there are to getting to the airport from the ship other than using the ship's transfers. Thanks for whatever advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2003, 01:29 PM
JimC

Default Re: Question about flying home from Venice for those who hav

We took a taxi. I recall it was a short drive (15 mins) and was not very expensive. I would have the ship arrange for a taxi the night before as you will probably need to leave the ship about 4a.m. Also you will need to ensure your luggage will be available at that hour.
Old August 8th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Question about flying home from Venice for those who hav

Hi Steve,

We were on the Millennium Barcelona to Venice in May of this year- it was a huge WOW! A total dream cruise- it was all fantastic, but especially Venice. Maybe you have already been there if and so disregard the rest of this message as I am going to urge you to stay there the extra nite.

We agonized too over what to do- like you we could not get a straight answer from Celebrity- infact they told us no one could disemark before 7am- our flight was at 7:30am. So we bit the bullet and stayed an extra nite on our own- SO glad we did. Venice is an amazing, magical place. All the glowing attributes from others meant nothing to us...until we got there. I thought we had plenty of time there considering that like you we had the overnite there prior to the day we disembarked. But you have to consider that this is your LAST nite onboard and there is so much to do, packing, saying goodbys to friends etc. Since you don't disemabrk in Venice for you first day til about noon, then back to the ship for dinner...if thats all you have, thats not a whole lot of time to enjoy the place. You have to have at least ONE full uninterrupted evening in Venice to walk, sit in St. Mark's Square in the evening listening to music, have a dinner with wine in an outdoor cafe, maybe a twilight gondola ride with your honey. We were not prepared for the magic that is Venice- but we were entranced and so glad we had the extra day- did not want it to end! Going back next year too.

It's certainly not cheap to stay there- but we watched ourselves and kept our stay to slightly over 300EU. We stayed at a charming little jewel, Accademia Miravege that has been extolled on Fodors by many at 170 EU (beautiful gardens and right off the Grand Canal)- we could walk everywhere we wanted from there. We had about three servings of gelato during our extra day there at 1EU a pop- had dinner on a quiet canal near St Marks for 30EU- our biggest extravagance was a water taxi to the airport for that early am flight at 90EU. The whole cruise was incredible but the last nite in Venice was AMAZING- unforgettable.

The other thing is...this is really and EXHAUSTING itinerary- first cruise we ever took where we felt like we needed another cruise after the cruise. It's just BUSY with all the ports- and all there is to do in each port. The idea of having to depart that early in the morning from Venice defeats the idea of cruise in my mind- or at least thats what we ultimately decided. I know the flight you are referring to from Venice to Amsterdam- we considered that but I HATE having to rush and stress. We went with BritAir- flight is only an hour and a half later but it gave us a little breathing room.

Best wishes to you....Nancy
I