Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2003, 05:18 PM
MarieSMartin

Default Formal Dress on Summit

We will be Cruising in September. Has anyone had any experience with the formal dining on Celebrity Summit. The website says that tux and formal gown are correct. My husband and I are not sure how formal we want to go. Any advise?
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2003, 05:36 PM
TerriL5

Default Re: Formal Dress on Summit

My husband and I are booked on the Summit for next June. ( our first cruise ) I have read through so many forums regarding formal nights.... and what I have determined is that formal is really what you want it to be. Apparently, one of the biggest complaints about Summit is that they try to make themselves out to be a more formal liner - but they tend to not force their passengers to abide by their own guidelines. I have heard that people are allowed in the dining rooms wearing anything - even on formal nights. This does tend to annoy those people who enjoy the formal nights..... I have read some nasty forums on this subject. The majority of the people who have posted their opinions tend to believe that dressing "nicely" will ensure you will have a good time while meeting the other passengers' desire for formality. My husband plans on wearing a dinner jacket and tie and call it good. I would love to hear about your experience on the Summit... ! Terri
Old August 20th, 2003, 08:13 PM
AR

Once more, from Celebrity's published dress information:

Formal Nights:

Cocktail dresses / long gowns
Dinner jackets / dark suits / tuxedos

As you can see, the options are considerably more flexible than you suggest in your original post. My advice is that your husband wear a dark suit and that you wear a cocktail dress of some sort.

If you find that you are unwilling to meet this dress code, you may eat in your room on formal nights or make a reservation in the deck 10 restaurant. Or, you may do what many do and show up in the dining room dressed as you please. The staff, alas, does not enforce the dress code. But the majority of your fellow passengers who do dress will appreciate it if you agree to adhere to the spirit of the evening.

AR
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:07 AM
Ellis&Jeanne

Well said Alan, its not like we have to dress up all of the time, and makes the evening a little more special. My husband usually wears a dark suit and tie, and I get to buy a new cocktail dress, so we are both happy! ;^ ))
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Formal Dress on Summit

I have always believed that the entire staff onboard appreciate it when the dress code is adhered to. It is a show of respect for the people who are breaking their backs to insure that you are having a good time. All the above Celebrity options, as suggested by AR, are correct.

ROSS
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Formal Dress on Summit

On Summit, for men, you will see Tuxedo and dinner jackets, dark (and light) suits and even guys in a blazer and slacks on formal night. There will even be the rare guy in shirt sleeves. You will find nothing pretentious or snooty in the attitude of either staff or passengers and the fashion police will not pull you over and give you a ticket.
For women you will see full legnth gowns, beaded tops, cocktail dresses and pants suits. Some women will spend two hours primping in the salon, others will tie their hair back wet from the pool. Again no fashion police.
I happen to like the dressing formally (with three daughters getting married I happen to own several tuxedos) and my wife likes showing off her nicer clothes as well.
Wear what you are comfortable with, I personally think folks should dress as requested, but that is a personal opinion. What you will find is the wide range of dress.
What I don't understand is why folks book Celebrity and then "buck" the dress "codes"
when there are alternatives like NCL and Windstar where the formal dress is never necessary.
Relax and enjoy your cruise on Summit. This is a wonderful ship and I am booked on Summit for a second time next September.
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:30 PM
Yeoman

I'm going on th Summit in December on a 10-night cruise where there will be three formal nights. I think the Celebrity Summit deserves some well dressed people for it's formal nights, since even the waiters have to dress up. I always feel it's our way of saying thank you for great food and service.

My husband will wear a nice black suit with a white dress shirt and tie the first formal night, the night of the Captain's dinner he will wear the same suit but with a white tuxedo shirt and bow tie (probably black) and the last formal night maybe the black jacket with just a nice pair of tan dress slacks, shirt and tie.

The basic black suit with a tuxedo shirt and two different colored bow ties in black, red and maybe maroon works fine and you don't have to go for the tuxedo. You get more usage out of the black suit. Don't forget the dress shoes, belt and dress socks.

For me I have a long black dress, no sequins, and two short cocktail dresses, strappy dress shoes and a crepe shawl with some beading. This should do fine. I hate to pack alot of clothes, but there's no getting around it.

Enjoy the Summit, I can't wait for our cruise in December. It will be my second for Celebrity, but my first on the Summit.
Old August 21st, 2003, 02:48 PM
MarieSMartin

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Dress on Summit

I think judging from the responses that some are not understanding my question. I have no problems dressing up. God knows I dont get out much and getting dressed up will be a nice change. My concern was that if the code was tuxes and long formal gowns, I would feel out of place in a nice cocktail dress and my husband in a jacket and tie.
Old August 21st, 2003, 03:14 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Formal Dress on Summit

I think the dress code for women is slightly harder to discern, as evening dresses seem to cross over from coctail dress to evening dress to gown. My husband and I are sailing on the Summit 9/5 and he will wear a tuxedo, black tie, etc. on both formal nights, and I will wear a floor length dress the first night, and a shorter, sparkling coctail dress the second formal night. Cruising on Celebrity is fantastic, and we love to experience the formal evenings all decked out!
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:24 PM
Nita

I think we have all tried to answer your question. Directly, will your husband be out of place in a sports jacket? slightly but not all that much. You will be fine in a cocktail dress as long as it is dressy. Go on your cruise, enjoy yourself and remember you have only yourselves to account to. That doesn't mean I don't believe in taking the term Formal seriously, I do, but if you don't just relax. It would be better if hubby wore a suit, but don't go out of your way to buy one. My own son, who wears nothing but the most expensive clothes also dresses casually and I don't think he owns a dark suit. Sport jackets yes, a suit nope.................

Nita
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Admiral

Cathy,

My husband will wear a nice black suit with a white dress shirt and tie the first formal night, the night of the Captain's dinner he will wear the same suit but with a white tuxedo shirt and bow tie (probably black) and the last formal night maybe the black jacket with just a nice pair of tan dress slacks, shirt and tie.

Your usband would do well to forego the tan slacks on formal night and stick with the suit. It's perfectly acceptable for gents to wear the same tuxedo or dark suit on each of three or four formal nights, and there's plenty of time between them for the ship's dry cleaning service to take care of any spills, etc.

The tan slacks would be quite apporpriate for the "informal" evenings, though!

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Marie,

The best advise is to follow the "suggested" dress prescribed by the cruise line. Many cruise lines, including Celebrity, have not enforced the prescribed attire in the past, but this has drawn a steady barrage of complaints from many passengers. As a result, there have been some indications that some cruise lines are taking enforcement more seriously, especially in the most eggregious cases. The overwhelming majority of passengers do conform to the guidelines, so you'll fit right in if you do so.

Norm.