Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2003, 10:05 AM
Frank Black

Default Celebrity vs. Crystal

I am booked on the Mecury for a 10 day Mexico cruise in early January for about $90 a day. The new Crystal ship Serenity has a 12 day cruise the same time for about $300 a day. Is Crystal really worth the extra money over a nice Celebrity cruise?
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2003, 11:02 AM
Ellis&Jeanne

Default Re: Celebrity vs. Crystal

Never been on Crystal, but some friends have, and it sounds nice, but not as much to do. The rooms are nice, food is good,. I suggest going to their web site:
www.crystalcruises.com or ask travel agent for their latest guide book. We much prefer larger ships, and more variety with things to do while at sea. Use the money you save for more tours, etc or book a few more cruises, thats what we do!
Old August 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Celebrity vs. Crystal

COMPARING APPLES TO ORANGES!!!

The 2 lines are not similar. Celebrity is a line that prides itself in offering a refined product that caters to all brackets of income. Crystal is a first class product with first class prices that caters to higher income brackets.

This discussion has been made before: Is Crystal worth the extra price when compared to Celebrity? For some people it is worth the extra. For other people there is not that much of a difference to warrant the expenditure.

You can cruise on Celebrity for $300 per day also. Now the question becomes more interesting. Is the $300 per diem Celebrity cruise as good as the $300 per diem Crystal cruise??? My response has always been: "we'll just have to keep on cruising to find the answers".

ROSS
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:48 AM
Frank

I have cruised both and have to say that my experience on the Celebrity Constellation was almost as good as my experience abord the Crystal Harmony. But I would not pay 3 times as much for a fraction of the difference.

It is like going to a restaurant, after one reaches a certain price range there is really not a lot more they can do with the food to make it any better. How much better is a $100 steak over a $30 one? I think the law of diminishing returns applies here too.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 22nd, 2003, 12:38 PM
Adam Francis

I totally agree. I thought that my Celebrity Constellation cruise was JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER than my recent cruise on Serenity. The staff better, the butler service was superb, and the food, ambiance, and service in the dinning room exceeds that which I experienced on Crystal. Celebrity is just a lot cheaper.

Please read my Crystal Serenity review on this site.

Adam Francis

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Rhapsody of the Seas- 12/99
Voyager of the Seas- 8/00
Celebrity Millennium- 6/01
Radiance of the Seas- 10/01
Explorer of the Seas- 12/01
Celebrity Millennium- 4/02
Celebrity Constellation- 6/02
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Radiance of the Seas- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Radisson Seven Seas Voyager- 6/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Monarch of the Seas- 10/03
Serenade of the Seas- 11/03
Mariner of the Seas- 12/03
Queen Mary II- 6/04
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Frank,

I am booked on the Mecury for a 10 day Mexico cruise in early January for about $90 a day. The new Crystal ship Serenity has a 12 day cruise the same time for about $300 a day. Is Crystal really worth the extra money over a nice Celebrity cruise?

That's like asking whether a Lincoln is woth the extra price compared to a Mercury -- it's entirely a matter of personal preference, style, and taste. Celebrity is a solid "premium" cruise line that consistently scores at the top of its segment of the market, but nonetheless is still a "mass market" product, whereas Crystal is a solid "luxury" cruise line that consistently meets or exceeds the expectations of a very discriminating passengers who expect, and are quite willing to pay for, the very best cuisine, furnishings, and service. This is rather like the difference between going to Boston and staying at the Sheraton Boston and going to Boston and staying at the Fairmont Park Plaza. If you have very discriminating tastes, you might be happier on a Crystal cruise.

In asking your question on this board, you are going to get a biased set of replies from a group of people who generally believe that a Mercury is perfectly adequate transportation and that a Lincoln, although certainly nicer than the Mercury, is not worth the extra cost, or who would stay at the Sheraton Boston because they don't think that the Fairmont Park Plaza is worth the extra cost. If you were to ask the same question on the Crystal Cruises discussion board, you would get the opposite bias. The important question is not what any of us think. Rather, the important question is to ask yourself which cruise line better reflects your style, your tastes, and your means.

Norm.
Old August 22nd, 2003, 05:40 PM
Admiral

Frank,

It is like going to a restaurant, after one reaches a certain price range there is really not a lot more they can do with the food to make it any better. How much better is a $100 steak over a $30 one? I think the law of diminishing returns applies here too.

That's an excellent analogy. In my experience, the "premium" tier of the market is about the poverbial "knee of the curve" where one gets the most "bang for the buck." The "mainstream" segment usually does not provide much savings but generally lacks "polish" or refinement even though it provides all of the substance, the "economy" segment provides somewhat more savings but cuts a lot of corners to do so, and the "luxury" segment pays dearly to ensure that every little detail is "just so."

Then again, the fact that I feel that way might well explain why I drive a Chrysler and cruise with "premium" tier cruise lines....

Norm.
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Benjamin Smith

To be honest I don't find Celebrity to be a "solid" premium line anymore. The low prices and compromises and cutbacks have a lot of people questioning if it really is a "premium" line at all. There are many things I'd change about Celebrity to make it feel more premium including getting rid of souvenier glasses and the hawking of Bahama Mama's around the lido area the first day of the cruise, getting rid of stupid pictures with pirates and showgirls and the ladle and the like, getting rid of comments from cruise staff about how wonderful their enhancements are, absolutely putting a lid on any waiter or staff members that begs for an "excellent" on their comment sheet or even mentions it. We are Celebrity fans here but we should be more objective in seeing the shortcomings of the line. Celebrity is by no means alone in the general tackiness I mention above, HAL and Princess have their tackiness as well. I think these "premium" lines should get rid of this stuff, revenue enhancing or not, and have the products be the premium products they advertise.

Regarding food, cleanliness of the ships, staff knowledge and performance, overall, Celebrity is scoring lower marks now than it did say 5 years ago and nowhere near what they scored in their first 4 years in operation. New big ships with large accomodations and balconies doesn't make up for lowering of standards of core qualities. Window dressing that Celebrity calls enhancements doesn't make up for the slipping standards, either.

If Crystal has none of the above mentioned then it is indeed worth more to me than Celebrity. I expect to pay 80 percent more for 20 percent or so improvement, that's the way product rungs work.
Old September 5th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Frank

>I expect to pay 80 percent more for 20 percent or so improvement, that's the way product rungs work.<

I can see paying more for what one gets but I'd have a different ratio. As it is, in some cases one has to pay 300% more for a 10% improvement with the rates I've seen for Crystal. And I do like them but only sailed them once. They really have a different clientel and most did not seem to be aware of the "real" world. I could tell some stories from what we experienced on that one cruise.

I'd not pay double for a 10% improvement though and that's in accordance to my experience. Our experience with Celebrity was on it's flagship, the Constellation, and they were a notch above Princess and a notch below Crystal. Neither notch is worth an 80$ differential IMO.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 5th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Benjamin Smith

Frank,

Celebrity is *underpriced*. It used to cost from $140 a day and closer to $200 a day. It's the insane discounted prices that causes the discrepancy in price between Celebrity and a luxury line. Celebrity is a premium line yet it costs less than Carnival and RCI at times. This just doesn't make any sense as premium is, by definition, costlier.

After my first Celebrity cruise on the Galaxy in 1999 I thought Celebrity was wonderful. But I receive the jewels and little of the warts of the line. I really think people can't judge a line based on one experience. It can be either outstanding or abysmal and the real product that most people experience can be in the middle.

I'll never regard the Constellation as a flagship. Nothing about her is a flagship as she doesn't stand out in any way from the Summit or Infinity (Yes, I did hear that she was regarded as a flagship when I was aboard her, but simply her being the newest doesn't make her worthy, IMO). I'd opt for either the Millennium or the Century as flagships, but they would need to always be staffed with the top crew personnel.