Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:41 AM
Beginner

Default Alaska--Celebrity, Princess, HAL or Radisson???

I would appreciate any help from the cruisemates experts.

I am planning a surprise 30th anniversary cruise to Alaska for my wife and would like this trip to be extra special, so I need to get your opinions on which Cruise Line to choose.

Background: We have sailed RCI, Celebrity, Princess and HAL and--this time I am seriously considering Radisson. Our room preference has been SS and RS on Celebrity, Cat B/C on RCI, Cat A/B on HAL and Cat AA (mini suite) on Princess.

We prefer a laid back, relaxing cruise with lots of personal attention. How does Radisson compare to Celebrity and Princess with regard to cabin, quality of service and food. I know this can be very subjective, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gentleman J
Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:03 PM
MarieSMartin

Default Re: Alaska--Celebrity, Princess, HAL or Radisson???

Where We have nothing to compare it to as this was our first cruise, We sailed to Alaska on Celebrity Summit. It was one of the best weeks of our lives. The service was perfect. The food was 5 star. We are going on another cruise next year and will only consider Celebrity. Hope it helps
Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Beginner

Thanks Marie for your response. We too, have sailed on Celebrity and concur with your assessment. I have a lot of thinking to do--decisions, decisions!
Old September 24th, 2003, 08:13 AM
David Starkey

I think you must qualify the amount of money you wish to spend before making your selection. For my wife and I, we have found Celebrity to offer a very good product at a very fair price. ( the Mercury is our favorite ship)We have not sailed Radisson, but have cruised over 50 times. We have always found Radisson to be priced on the high side, and recent comments by friends (well traveled cruisers) said that the additional two thousand $$ they spent was not worth the difference. If we found a very special rate or extra good value, we might try Radisson, otherwise....see you on a Celebrity ship.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Big Mike

Radisson is very $$$ compared to Celebrity. It is a class above all the rest you've been on in the past but personally I don't think it was worth it. I think the extra money goes toward staff training and white gloves which is not why we cruise. Stick with Celebrity.
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Today

Ports matter to us, so whichever has the best itinerary is the one we consider first.
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Judy Jacobson

Hello Gentleman J!

If your willing to pay for Suites and balcony cabins, I think you owe it to yourself to treat you and your wife to a more upscale experience.
I've been on all those mass market cruise lines and had a wonderful time, however, when I was on Radisson, the experience was exceptional! The service is different. The waiters and cabin staff are much more attentive. The food is better and the gratuities are included. Even wine is poured on a complimentary basis at dinner. Oh, did I mention that all soft drinks and water are included as well. When you board the ship your cabin stewardess will ask you your beverage of choice and bring you whatever you drink for the week. I can go on and on.
I'm a Travel Agent and pretty much know many different cruise lines. For an extra special occasion, I would try Radisson and not base your opinion on others experiences. You want your wife's birthday to be special and memorable don't you?