Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:41 PM
Pat Dor

Default DO YOU DRINK THE SHIPS WATER SUPPLY?

Just found out that Celebrity charges $2.25 and up for water. I drink more water than any one I know. At that rate water would cost me more than most excursions by the end of the week. At home I buy spring water for my water cooler and bottled water to go. QUESTION

Do you drink the ships water supply?

And how do they purify that water anyway?
Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Default Re: DO YOU DRINK THE SHIPS WATER SUPPLY?

Yes, we do drink the ships water and from other threads about this topic everyone else does also. It is good water, they don't want to do anything to make people not cruise with them. Have no fear, remember even the ice cubes are water.

Old October 15th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I too drink the water, but I'm not a huge water drinker. Have never heard of any problems with ship's water. If its a problem, you could purchase it onshore and bring some bottled water back with you, thats allowed.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

The water the ships use on board a desalinated on the ship and purified.....the water is more pure than that you can get at home...and even most bottled water.

Old October 16th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Nita

The ships water is just fine. I do bring a 6 pk of bottled water on board mainly cause I like to have the bottle out by the pool or where ever and don't want to pay ship prices. When the bottles are empty I fill them with the water from the ship. Works just fine, our family does the same.

Nita
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Pat Dor

Default Re: Re: DO YOU DRINK THE SHIPS WATER SUPPLY?

Jeanne, Ellis, Donna, Lisa and Nita

Thank you for the info. I am such a fanatic about water. I bring bottles in my purse, no matter where I go, even to the super market. I noticed that Celebrity charges more for water than soda. Figure that one out.
Old October 16th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Bottled water is a money maker on all ships today. As personal consumption of bottled water has increased and thus sales from stores increased, the cruise lines know they have a captive audience and the consumer will pay for it. I bring my own insulated wide mouth sports water bottle. I also often bring some small bottles of flavored sparkling water which I enjoy more than a soda. If it wont' fit in the luggage, no problem, I either buy some at a port stop or do without it. The ship's water is just fine.
Bon Voyage.
Old October 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Frank

>When the bottles are empty I fill them with the water from the ship.<

If we have a freezer section, we fill the bottles half with water that turns to ice. Then we fill them the rest of the way with water when we depart. That keeps the water cool longer, especially when on a shore excursion.
Frank-in-CA
Old October 16th, 2003, 04:50 PM
Admiral

Pat,

Do you drink the ships water supply?

Yes. The ship's water is essentially distilled water -- the stuff that you might buy at the store to use in your iron. It's considered "Grade B" water -- which is much purer than the "Grade C" water that you get from a tap or a spring at home. ("Grade A" would be deminieralized water, normally used at sea only in the boilers of steam-driven ships where the residual minerals in "Grade B" water would plate out on the boiler tubes and degrade efficiency over time.)

And how do they purify that water anyway?

It's basically a distillation process that employs evaporation and condensation to produce pure water.

Norm.
Old October 17th, 2003, 07:17 AM
seabee

Norm,

Where did those Grades come from?
Old October 17th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Pat Dor

Thank You All. Good Tips and Info. I will drink the ships water now with confidence.
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Vada

About a year ago I purchased a Brita water purifier that looks just like a blue and white sports bottle. I'm a big water drinker, and I don't like the taste of the tap water on the ship. We take a couple bottles of water and then refill them with the ship's tap water that we have purified with the Britas. If you are interested in buying one, they run about $7 at Walmart or a similar store.
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:31 PM
NJmatt

Just remember folks not that its bad water but the water you are drinking is de-salinized sea-water that ships process on their own at sea...courtesy of the ocean right outside your stateroom window.
Old October 19th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Pat Dor

Thank you all for the info..Some good ideas there.
Old October 21st, 2003, 06:33 PM
Admiral

seabee,

Where did those Grades come from?

I'm not sure whether they are a government standard or an accepted engineering convention. I first encountered the use of grades while learning about shipboard distilling and demineralizing equipment as a midshipman.

Norm.