Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2003, 10:48 PM
Passenger

Default can anyone tell me about 12 day to Alaska on Mercury?

Hi,

My hubby are I are considering the 12 day cruise on the Mercury from San Francisco to Alaska May 2004. We are not picky cruisers...but would like to know if there is adaquate public viewing space..as sometimes the weather is not the greatest on that trip and if we book an inside cabin..well..no view there!...and about the dining. We like alternatives..maybe we just don't feel like a formal dinner..what are the options? Is there room service & if so, good options? How strict is the dress code? I don't have a problem with one, but if it is too formal..we will just sail a different ship/line..don't want to be uncomfortable or offend anyone else..

Also..if anyone has sailed this itinerary..how are the seas from San Francisco north?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Vada

Default Re: can anyone tell me about 12 day to Alaska on Mercury?

Hi!
We (husband and I) are booked on the 5/5 sailing of Mercury to Alaska. We have not been on this ship before, but have heard wonderful things about it. We did the Coastal cruise to Alaska from San Diego last year on Celebrity Summit. Mmmm, delicious food! Very friendly staff and an A-1 cruise experience.
Heavy seas? It's a toss up (no pun intended). Maybe yes, maybe no. You take a chance when you sail from SF. If you leave from Vancouver, chances of high seas are greatly reduced. But, it's so much easier for us to fly to SF than YVR! Plus we like the longer cruises.
There will be 2 maybe 3 formal nights. Most men are in black suits w/tie, and several night s a sports jacket is recommended. They are not as strict as some lines, but I would say you are expected to be fairly dressed up for dinner anyway. And yes, there is alternative dining in the buffet area. Not as many choices as the main dining room (as I remember), but you can dress casually. Also, you can get dinner delivered to your room. Just be sure to let your tablemates know when you won't be joining them, so they don't wait a long time before ordering.
The itinerary is fantastic! A new port of call has been added to Mercury's AK sailing too! Icy Straits Point is comparable to the private islands that cruise ships call on in the Caribbean. I'm excited about that one. The other ports are all wonderful. Check out the available discussion boards re Ports of Call/Destinations.
Let me know what you decide. I vote you join us on the 5/5 sailing!
Vada
Old October 25th, 2003, 08:41 PM
SF Sharon

On a 12-day Mercury sailing, there will be no less than 3 get-spiffed-up-formal nights, and there will also be Celebrity's interpretion of "informal" nights, where men are supposed to wear sportsjackets with a shirt, but (usually) don't have to wear a tie. Personally, I prefer the look of a man in a long-sleeved shirt and attractive (not gaudy) tie to the shirt/jacket/no tie combo, especially if the shirt chosen is a knit shirt, but maybe that's just me. Also, shirts and ties take up less room in the suitcase than yet another jacket. For Alaska in September, you'll already be packing a variety of casual jackets. For formal evenings, suits do not need to be black, but deeper colors such as navy blue, dark brown and charcoal appear dressier and are more common.

There is room service on the Mercury, of course, but we used it only for breakfast. You didn't mention what category of cabin you are considering. Personally, I wouldn't forego the meals in the dining room for eating in a standard or balcony cabin. There's just not much room for dining, not to mention the lack of ambiance.

If you want more casual dining options, you might consider also the less traditional Princess ships or NCL.. The Regal Princess, which is the ship Princess will use next year from San Francisco, is one of the Princess ships that does not offer Personal Choice dining, though.

For indoor viewing, take a look at the Navigator Lounge in the brochure. It has large windows for viewing the scenery. As far as outdoor viewing areas, there are probably enough, though I might suggest HAL's Statendam-class ships for truly panoramic views of Alaska.
Old October 25th, 2003, 11:03 PM
Passenger

thanks..so far so good..now another question..

I haven't looked at a brochure yet but looking at itineraries online it just said "at sea" for the day's not in port..but for other lines it said "cruising inside passage"..we wouldn't be going the "outside" route would we?

and yes..we are looking at the 5/5 sailing

cabin catagory..cheap...still got one in college....
Old December 12th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Sandy Savoia

I went on the Mercury to Alaska with my parents for their 50th in sept in was FANTASTIC
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Passenger

Cruising the inside passage means just that. You will be able to see shore most of the time as you go up the BC coast through the inside passage. Days at sea are just that. At sea and you can't see land.
Old December 13th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Captain

We did the 7 day Alaskan cruise on the Mercury last year.

The Navigator lounge has wrap around viewing forward, port, and starboard. Every time we went in in the daytime it was quite empty. Also the buffet restaurant has large windows but it's either port or starboard. You should have no trouble finding good, inside viewing spots.

Between Vancouver through Ketchikan and Juneau you'll be inside with land close by. Usually this means smooth sailing, but that's not a sure thing of course. Between SF and Vancouver you'll be in the open. You also leave the passage to go up to Hubbard glacier and when visiting Sitka, assuming Mercury visits those spots again. This is where we had some pretty rough seas.

Mercury's a beautiful ship with great service and the friendliest staff we've had on any cruise. I'm sure you'll be quite pleased.

Enjoy Alaska, it's awsome.