Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Passenger

Default Celebrity Galaxy vs. Dawn Princess

I am planning a vacation in January. We can't seem to decide between The Galaxy out of San Juan on January 9th and the Dawn out of San Juan on January 11, 2004. They have similar itineraries and the prices are about the same. The only difference is that for $350 per person more we can get a suite (Category 1) on Galaxy otherwise the price for balcony's on both are almost the same. Anyone have any info that would be helpful in making the decision. Is the $350 per person extra for the suite on Galaxy worth it. Also anyone have knowledge about the noise in the suites onthe Galaxy? It looks like most of the category 1 suites are below pool areas, will that be a problem? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Ric Frederick

Default Re: Celebrity Galaxy vs. Dawn Princess

We have sailed both class ships, and although we enjoyed both, we prefer Celebrity. The Dawn's standard balcony cabins (BA, BB etc.) are smaller than the Galaxy Cat. 2's. The Cat. 1 is not only larger (both room and balcony), but is also much nicer in terms of decor and amenities. It also comes with butler service which was great. Most of the Cat. 1's are either forward under the Agua Spa, or more mid-ship under the pool deck. 1058, 1060, 1061 or 1062 would be my first choice. Even though they are under the pool deck, the noise should be minimal as they are not under where the deck chairs are. If it we me, for the $350 pp difference, I would take the Cat 1 in a heartbeat.
Good Luck, Ric
Old November 12th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Ric Frederick

Default Re: Re: Celebrity Galaxy vs. Dawn Princess

Oops, the four Cat. 1's that I mentioned should be 1058, 1060, 1061 and 1063. I listed 1062 by mistake, which is a Cat. 2.
Ric
Old November 13th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Ric,
Thanks for the info. My husband and I talked about it last night and we're almost decided on booking the Galaxy. We've been on Princess twice, but we've never been on celebrity and we've heard alot of good things about it!
Cindy
Old November 13th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Ric Frederick

Pam - just in case you want another option, Celebrity also has the Constellation sailing out of San Juan on the Jan.10th. The Constellation is similar to the Millennium, Summit and Infinity, and is newer and larger than the Galaxy. Although I like both, I think the Galaxy has the better itinerary of the two, plus the cost of a comparable suite (Galaxy's Cat 1 vs Constellation's SS) should be less. Also, the Galaxy will have just come out of drydock in December, so should be all spruced up! Good luck with whatever you decide, and Happy Cruising!!
Ric
Old November 16th, 2003, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Hi we just returned from a fabulous 11 night ultimate caribbean cruise on Galaxy we had a premium ocean view room with balcony right under the pool area and had no intrusion whatsoever although I cannot comment on the Dawn the Galaxy is stunning in every way hope this helps in your dilema
Donna
Old November 17th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I've just about decided to go with the Galaxy as I wanted to try Celebrity anyway.
Cindy
Old November 17th, 2003, 09:48 AM
Admiral

Cindy, I am booked on the Galaxy for 1/23/04. Can't wait and am now even more excited knowing it's getting an "overhaul" just the month prior!
Old November 17th, 2003, 01:19 PM
hcat

We sailed Mercury(a sister ship)with a cabin right under the pool deck. I think we had 1062 or 1065--it was right next to a suite, It turned out to be a super location. --convenient not only to the pool deck but you could also just walk up to the buffet. Elevs also were right there. No noise at all from deck above...Have a great cruise!
Old November 18th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Passenger

I booked the Galaxy for 1/9/2004 in a category 1 guarantee. I'm really looking forward to trying Celebrity. I haven't been away since last January when we cruised on the Coral (Princess). Thanks to all for the help in deciding!
Anyone else cruising 1/9/04 on the Galaxy?
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Ric Frederick

Hi Cindy - Glad you went for the Cat.1 - we very much enjoyed ours on the Mercury in Jan.. Will be on the Galaxy the week before you. Keep on eye on your cabin assigment. (you can check by accessing the online documentation area, listed under the reservations link on Celebrity's website - it will show either GTY or a cabin number) Since there are not that many Cat. 1's, and you have a guarantee, there is a chance you may get upgraded to a sky suite (same size cabin but much larger veranda). Now matter what you get, they are both great cabins. For the money, I don't tink you can beat the Cat 1 suites. Not only are the cabins larger and nicer than the Cat. 2's, they also come with some nice extras, not to mention buter service. Hope you have a great cruise.
Ric
Old November 18th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Ric Frederick

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity Galaxy vs. Dawn Princess

oops - that should say butler, not buter.
Ric
Old November 19th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Passenger

Hi Ric,
I am really looking forward to having the butler service available. I agree that the price for the category 1 was pretty reasonable with all the extra room and perks. My mom and her boyfriend are sailing with us, but they chose to get a category 2. I'm hoping that there's no problem with them joining us for breakfast on the balcony. I thought it might be nice to have some of our meals served in the room. Too bad your going the week before, last year we met a whole group of people from the boards which made the cruise that much more fun. We are still in touch with one couple, unfortunately they can't join us this year, but for a good reason, her daughter is having her first baby. Anyway hope you have a great cruise and thanks for your help.
Cindy
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Ric Frederick

Hi Pam - My experience with butlers (twice) has been great. I am sure they will do anything for you within reason. Although we didn't have guests for breakfast (we prefer a slow, relaxing start to the day, in our robes, also with breakfast on the veranda, but without guests), we did ask our butler to bring extra hors d'oeuvres for our traveling companions. He would bring those and our drink orders every night so we could enjoy them on the veranda before heading down to dinner. He also brought an additional lounge chair and extra fruit each day. Our friends were so appreciative, they also tipped him at the end of the cruise. Sorry we won't get to meet - maybe we'll pass each other as you are embarking, and we are disembarking. We will be the ones with half our faces smilling because of a great cruise, and the other half of faces looking very sad because it's over. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Ric