Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 18th, 2003, 04:46 AM
Tony C.

Default Internet access on Celebrity

I'm sailing on the Constellation next month and am contemplating bringing my PC. Can anyone tell me if they were satisfied with the in-room Internet service offered?

Thanks...Tony
Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2003, 08:00 AM
lysolqq

Default Re: Internet access on Celebrity

We were on the Constellation transatlantic last fall and paid $100 (for 14 days) for Connect@Sea - 24/7 unlimited internet access in our cabin. The connection was surprisingly quick - all things considered - and we were very satisfied.

We just sailed Infinity (Panama Canal) and found that the Connect@Sea pricing structure had changed dramatically. Celebrity now outsources their computer/internet classes and access program. This time we paid $25/day (x 14 days) for Connect@Sea, which gave us just 50 minutes of internet access per day in our cabin. The 50 minutes were not cumulative, so any unused portion of the daily alotment did not carry over to the next day. It was use it or lose it. Any time over the 50 minute alotment was billed at $0.75/minute.

I''ve read conflicting posts on this board and others about whether or not the new price structure for Connect@Sea has been implemented on all four of the M-class ships. I do know for sure it has been on Infinity. I'll admit the $100-for-14-days-unlimited-internet-access deal was a bargain, but the new pricing/minutes structure seems more like highway (seaway?) robbery. There's a big difference between 14 days unlimited access for $100 and 50 minutes a day for 14 days at $350!
Old November 18th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Internet access on Celebrity

With costs like that, I'll wait until I am in port and will use an internet cafe. If one really needs the internet, they'd be advised to reach the Platinum level with Princess and then they'd have free internet. I find that to be one of the few decent perks of any Captain's Club.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Internet access on Celebrity

In a nutshell SLOW and EXPENSIVE - I believe the connection rate is the same as in the Internet Cafe onboard - US$ 7.95 per minute.

We were on a 15 day cruise on the Constellation and we used Internet cafes onshore to keep our e-mail under control. I noticed in many of the Internet Cafes we visited that many of the crew from Celebrity and other cruise lines also used the shore based facility. That kind of tells you something !!
Old November 19th, 2003, 07:04 PM
GaryC

Default Re: Re: Re: Internet access on Celebrity

As I stated before, according to a conversation I had with Celebrity, the rate which was set in October was again reset, effective Nov. 9th. The current rate was said to be $70 for 100 minutes, and 70 cents per minute after that. So, the charge is 70 cents per minute, but you are committed to a minimum charge of $70, use it or not!!! I'm awaiting confirmation from recent travelers -- so if you've traveled since 11/09 and used the internet on ship, please RSVP. Thanks...
Old November 19th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: Internet access on Celebrity

I'm surprised they don't give the crew free internet access as a perk. I believe they do on Princess.
Frank-in-CA
Old November 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM
lysolqq

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Internet access on Celebrity

GaryC - $100 for 70 minutes ($0.70/minute) is yet more expensive per minute than the $25/day for 50 minutes ($0.50/minute) we just paid on Infinity(!), and we thought that was way out of line.

Concorde77 - the per minute charge in the onboard internet cafe is definitely not $7.95/minute. It was (as recent as November 2) $0.75/minute.