Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Aqusis

Default Horizon to Bermuda

Thinking of booking the Horizon to Bermuda next September. Will be embarking from Norfolk which is great for us. Close to home and I hate to fly. Anyone have opinions on this cruise? How rough were the waters to Bermuda (assuming we avoid Hurricanes)? I know the waters on this route can be rough and the Horizon is a smaller ship, Hubby has gotten seasick 1x so I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Horizon to Bermuda

Horizon is an excellent and seaworthy ship. I sailed through the remnants of Hurricane Mitch on her a few years back.
Sailing to Bermuda is sailing 600 miles out into the Atlantic. You are not in the protected waters of the Caribbean. It is probably likely that you will experience more in the way of swells than on a Caribbean Cruise.
Old November 25th, 2003, 05:10 PM
PBP

The Bermuda cruise is my favorite (10 times) but I agree that the Atlantic seas are somewhat rough most of the time. I have found that Bonine (generic form is meclazine though that might not be the correct spelling) is an excellent preventive medication for seasickness, but it does not work after you have already become nauseated. It does make you slightly drowsy and during the day I only take one-half of a tablet but at night a whole one. I would suggest starting it about two hours before sailing and continue it according to the directions until you dock in Bermuda. You can buy it over-the-counter at any pharmacy, Wal-Mart or Target. Bermuda and its people are so wonderful and for me they are worth the bumpy ride.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 08:50 PM
Lee and Kelli

HI Aqusis.... We are booked on our first Celebrity cruise going out of Norfolk on 9/5/04.
We booked a midship outside cabin on the Europa deck. This cruise is a six day
cruise and the cost is good. We are alittle nervous about the size of the ship and the
possible.... rough seas but we want to checkout Bermuda. Are you going on the 9/5
cruise???? If so we should stay in touch. We are flying into Norfolk on 9/4 and will
find a place to stay overnight??

Take care;

Lee and Kelli from COLD Wisconsin.
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:42 AM
J. Smart

Default Re: Re: Horizon to Bermuda

Went to Bermuda on the Horizon three years ago. A nice ship. Hit a hurricane
coming home. Get the wrist bands at your local pharmacy. Work fantastically.
Everyone was sick on the ship except us. Be sure to follow directions for
wearing them and they will really work for you. Have a great trip.
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:21 AM
ParrotMom

If you think there is a problem going over..get to a pharmacy in Bermuda and ask for Sturgeron.. it is what the yachtsmen use...I get my supply in Robertsons in St. George..it is an over the counter drug and also available in UK.. Have had no luck with wrist bands and patches are not recommended because of side effects.
Old December 4th, 2003, 10:56 PM
PassionateCruiser

Hi,

I just booked the Horizon sailing out of Norfolk 5-1-04 for my parents as a Christmas gift. I was wondering the same thing about the seas. I booked it for May in hopes that the seas might be a little calmer. But one can never tell. She has sailed the Zenith with me years ago but that was when it was new and in the carribbean. We live in Virginia Beach and she doesn't like to fly either so this works out for everyone. I know they will have a great time. Who knows I might just have to come up with a reason as to why I need to go with them. lol......
Old December 5th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Beginner

I sailed the Horizon to Bermuda May 2003. The water was rougher than we've ever experienced in the Caribbean so if you're bothered by motion, go prepared. It ISN'T smooth sailing when you in the open waters of the Atlantic. A mid-ship cabin on the lowest deck should make the rocking and rolling less noticable and remember that an empty stomach is your greatest enemy. The Horizon is an intimate ship with impeccable service and we're sailing on her again March 2004. Great selection of martinis in the Martini Bar!
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:30 PM
stuNYC

We have traveled to Bermuda on both the Horizon and the Zenith. Both ships are wonderful; but the itinerary of the Horizon is somewhat better. More days are spent in Hamilton, which is more centrally located for excursions than St George. Also the Horizon is in Hamilton on Wednesday night, when there is a street fair at night on Front Street.

Waters were very calm
Old December 6th, 2003, 05:30 PM
stuNYC

We have traveled to Bermuda on both the Horizon and the Zenith. Both ships are wonderful; but the itinerary of the Horizon is somewhat better. More days are spent in Hamilton, which is more centrally located for excursions than St George. Also the Horizon is in Hamilton on Wednesday night, when there is a street fair at night on Front Street.

Waters were very calm
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Dave K

Headed to Bermuda on the Horizon for my third Celebrity Cruise October 9-17 out of Norfolk.

Previous Ventures

November 2000 Century - San Juan, St. Marteen, St Thomas, Nassau
November 2002 Galaxy - Key West, Cozumel, Belize, Cocoa Kay, Nassau

So far I have been extremely pleased with the Celebrity experience. Hopefully it will be 3 for 3.
Old February 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM
CM

Never been to Bermuda but just got back from Caribbean on the Horizon. We were on the 10th floor and let me tell you, we were rocking and rolling almost every day. Bad............. So bad one day that they did not fill the pool but they leave about 1 foot of water and it was moving around so much that it was coming up over the sides of the pool and splashing almost to the top deck. People laying by the pool got soaked many time. But poolside assistants were there within minutes with towels. Celebrity is a cut above in the service department. Warm towels when you came in from shore excrusions in the rain and cold towels in Cozumel when it was very warm one day. I took Dramamine(?) everyday and was OK but it did really move.... Have a great time.
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Another recommendation is to start the bonine at night a day or two prior to boarding.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am booked on the Norfolk cruise May 15 - 22. This will be my second time there and I can't wait to experience the island with my kids. I have a ton of saved website for things to see and do if anyone is interested.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Brennan

Do you have any suggestions from your past crusies to Bermuda. You know, places and things not to miss. It would be helpful to get an insiders point of view.

In addition, what % would you say the cost of food and drink is more than here in the states. I have heard that it can get out of hand. Is this true?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

It really depends on what you want to see in Bermuda.

If you want to learn the history and ecology of Bermuda buy the heritage pass. It will get you into 7 places for 7 days for one low price.
http://www.resqwest.com/Client/ViewI...d=498&LangID=1

If you want beaches... do not miss Horseshoe Bay. You can also find many quiet secluded beaches if you are willing to do a little walking. Beaches such as Jobson Cove.

Golfing is famous in Bermuda.

St George for strolling around.
Hamilton for shopping.
Kings Wharf is the quiet end of the island that is still worth a visit.

The best way to get around is by getting a bus and ferry pass. You can cover the entire island with this purchase.

If you have any more questions, just ask away.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old June 12th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Vangie

I am glad to hear that the water was calm. We are scheduled to go out of Norfolk in October and I am really excited about going to Bermuda, but I am a little anxious about the water being rough during the cruise. Do you have any additional suggestions or places to see in Bermuda.

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Lee and Kelli

Default Re: Re: Re: Horizon to Bermuda

HI............ Will be making final payment on our 9/5/04 Bermuda cruise! We can't wait
to checkout Bermuda. I have read many good reviews on the Horizon and even if its a
smaller ship we are excited to cruise on her. I hope some more people are joining us
for this cruise?????????? We would sure like to get together for drinks once we get
on board.

TAKE CARE!

Lee and Kelli
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:12 PM
ellesin

Hi,

We will be taking the Horizon in less than 4 weeks to Bermuda. I have heard all good things about the cruise. I will write a review upon our return.

Ellesin
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Linda G.

We are Bermuda bound, on the Horizon, departing from Norfolk on October 2nd. If you are booked on this cruise I would love to hear from you! Email me at yenta_linda@hotmail.com.
Old June 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
DICK STEIN

Dear Lee and Kelli: We are on that cruise also in a CC cabin on the Atlantic Deck. This is our second bermuda cruise on this ship and we are driving to the port.

Horizon, 9/5/04, Sapphire Princess, 6/13/004, Zuiderdam-2003, Constellation -2003, Infinity-2002, Vision of the Seas-2002, Mercury-2001, Norwegian Sky-2000, Horizon-2000, Ryndam-1999, Grand Princess-1999, Westerdam-1998, Grand Princess-1998, Oriania-1997, 1985-1996-3-HAL, 1-RCCL, 2-NCL, 11-Princess, 1-Royal, 1-Cunard

on the Horizon
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM
Vangie

My husband and I are also taking the cruise to Bermuda on Oct. 04 on the Horizon. How was your previous trip to Bermuda on the Horizon ship. I am a little concerned about how rough the water maybe.

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:26 AM
Alan Bailey

We took the Zenith to Bermuda in April 03. Started with very rough seas right after we left New York. The crew said we had 15 foot swells. These lasted until about 10 the next morning. Even some of the crew was sick.

I've never been sea sick, but my partner gets nauseous driving across town. We got a set of sea bands (C-bands?) at the tobacco and liquor shop aboard and they cured his nausea immediately. He's worn the same pair on every cruise since. These are elastic wrist bands with a plastic bead on the inside that applies steady pressure to your wrist, and apparently a nerve linked to the stomach.

They were about $15 on board, but you can get them at Walgreens or Walmart, may have to ask the pharmacist, for around $5.

A man I work with swears that the way to avoid sea sickness is to not have an empty stomach. Also, moving to the center of the ship, forward to aft and left to right, will minimize the motion you feel. On the Zenith, the best place was the covered area aft of the pool where there are lots of tables and chairs set up.