Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:46 AM
Mark O

Default bringing alcohol/soda on board in San Juan - celebrity

I will be sailing on the Galaxy out of San Juan on Dec 26. I would like to bring some alcohol with me, and some soft drinks to avoid paying the ship's inflated prices. Will Celebrity give me a hard time with this if it is in plain view? I heard that they could take it from you before you board. Thanks.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2003, 07:26 AM
First Mate

Default Re: bringing alcohol/soda on board in San Juan - celebrity

Mark, we just got off the Constellation. If you don't bring too much on and either send it through or put it in you carry on you will probably be ok. They have a wonderful liquor store right at the pier where thay tell you how lucky you are to be able to buy your booze there and take it on: RIGHT! Paced in their little boxes, get busted! We did, got it back the last night of the cruise. Hubby arrived after us so we called him on the cell phone, suggested he stop and pick up a bottle of Scotch and put it in his bag, he did, he got it on and we were able to have drinks in our cabin. We did the same thing the next day in St Martin. The secret is discretion and yes, the prices are inflated. Mixed drinks start at $4.95 which really isn't all that bad we don't think, but 8.50 for a glass of red wine, that's a bit pricey.

Nita
Old January 3rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
Sidsammy

I haven't bothered taking soft drinks on cruises, but it you drink them a lot, it'd be worth doing. I had a friend, who always took Coke and the plastic bottles of rum with him to avoid the big bar bills. I have, though, taken the small (like four pack) of wines with me. I just pack them in my carry on. No one has ever said anything to me. It has saved me a lot o money on my cruises. These cruises have originated in San Juan. I've been told that though they say you can take a "fine wine" for an "occasion", no other alcohol is accepted is wrong. I've been told that when your cruise starts in a U.S. port, such as San Juan, they cannot deny you boarding with your own alcohol. They can stop you when you are no longer at a U.S. port.
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Kind of a silly questions - but do you have to hide the alcohol in your room so they won't confiscate it or do the room stewards generally look the otherway once its onboard?