Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:13 AM
kated

Default constellation...outside or veranda?

We are thinking about the March 6th sailing of the constellation to the southern carribean. The price difference between an outside stateroom and a category 2C outside with veranda is $400 for the two of us. Just want to find out if the money is worth it...we have never had a room with a veranda before. Also, what is the difference between cat 1 and cat 2?
Thanx
Kate
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: constellation...outside or veranda?

A cat 1 is 191 sq ft and a cat 2 is 172 sq ft. The 20 sq ft does not seem like a lot but it does provide a larger sofa and vanity area. The space between the bulkhead and the bed is wider with a cat 1.

The verandas on a cat 1 and cat 2 are almost the same size.

Is it worth the extra money? That really depends on your budget. My wife and I got spoiled many years ago on a veranda and have one now everytime we sail. There is just something about walking out to that veranda and seeing the sights and getting the fresh ocean air that is spectacular. Also having breakfast or just coffee on that veranda is something to experience.

What ever you decide the cruise is the most important.
VOS chat rat cruise Feb 22, 2004
Radiance West Coastal Cruise May 2,2004
Constellation transatlantic Sept 7, 2004

Old December 12th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Frank

Once you've had a veranda or balcony, you'll never want to cruise again without it.
Frank-in-CA
Old December 12th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

I agree 100% once a balcony you'll always want one, the extra 20 sq ft to the cat 1 does make a difference, we think.

Happy Cruising!

Old December 12th, 2003, 06:50 PM
hcat

Go for the balcony if you can afford it--it gives you a whole other dimension of enjoying the ship--your own private space overlooking the sea! We are getting the larger cabin for our Summit cruise but had to go for the smaller size for Constellation next fall due to pricing...Whatever you decide--enjoy!
Old December 12th, 2003, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Kat,
I also love cruising and always get a balcony, give it a try, bet you'll never go back to non/balcony cabins.

Enjoy Constellation!

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2003, 11:05 PM
First Mate

Hate to be the one keeping this from being unanimous but as much as we love verandas I don't know if I would opt for $200 per person, $100 you darn well better believe it, but $200 there is lots of ways to spend that extra $400. Just my thoughts.

Nita
Old December 13th, 2003, 02:28 AM
kated

Thanks for all the advice...we decided to get an outside cabin and spend the extra four hundred dollars enjoying ourselves. Next time we will definately get a balcony though!
Old December 13th, 2003, 09:35 AM
hcat

I think you will enjoy it no matter what, but maybe if you boook a bit more ahead next time you will get a better price & could do the balcony. according to the Cleb website, it looks like our Summit 3/5 trip is almost sold out & what is left is pricey!
Old December 13th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: constellation...outside or veranda?

Since you've made the decision, it's too late to say anything but I'd look at it as what percentage of the entire cruise package is this $400. When you're spending a certain amount, a little more isn't really that much.
Frank-in-CA
Old December 13th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: constellation...outside or veranda?

Frank,
Thats exactly the way I look at it too, its a small price to pay to enjoy it that much more. Just love that first cup of coffee sitting outside on the balcony in my robe, watching the world go by, can't do that at home :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 13th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have had both verandah cabins and non-verandah cabins. If we are doing a port intensive cruise - 2 or less sea days on a seven day cruise - we book a non-verandah cabin. It seems like we're not in our cabin that much to enjoy the verandah - shore excursions, beaches, and shopping seem to take up most of our time.
On our transatlantic with 9 sea days out of 14, we book the verandah cabin as there are all those sea days to enjoy sitting and letting the Atlantic go by.
Spend the extra money if you think you will get the use of the balcony. If you are on a port intensive cruise, that difference will pay for a few excursions.
Old December 14th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Frank

We use our veranda on port days to have breakfast there since we usually have a morning shore excursion. That makes it easier to dine at our convenience and then to go where we have to gather for the shore excursion. And we write in full breakfasts of eggs & meats so we are well fortified for the venture. (G)
Frank-in-CA
Old January 3rd, 2004, 08:34 PM
Sidsammy

I really think you made the right decison in taking the verandah cabin. I had gone on two prior cruises with inside cabins. I had no problem with an inside cabin, but always wondered what it would be like to have a balcony (not just a view -I'd do inside first, if I couldn't get out). Anyway, my husband and I went on a cruise for our 25th anniversary. He had never cruised (and is a bit claustrophobic), so I booked the lowest grade balcony cabin. Even prior to sailing, I had looked into upgrading with no luck. I wanted to get to at least the Deluxe balcony cabin. We got on the ship and he was all right with the cabin, but I could tell, it was a bit small for him. I looked into an upgrade at the time of sailing and for $400 more (and it was well worth it), we were put in a Sky Suite. It was heavenly, in comparison to our lower grade balcony cabin. We had butler service, champagne upon arriving, fresh fruit every day, tea (which is so much more) and Horduerves (spelled wrong, I know) brought before dinner. If we weren't in our cabin, the butler left us a nice array to partake in when we returned. Almost every morning, we had our breakfast (made to order) brought to our room. Sometimes, we sat on the balcony (which is nicely appointed) and ate, other times we sat inside and looked out through our sliding glass doors. The lounge chairs are much more comfortable in the suites. Most nights when we went to bed, I'd go sit on the balcony and snooze before I hit the real bed. Oh, and you wouldn't believe how much bigger the bathroom is. It was like in a 5 star hotel. Sorry to go on so. My point is, I'd never pay full price for a suite, but if the opportunity avails, go for an upgrade to a suite, if it isn't too exorbitant. AND THE BOTTOM LINE IS... you'll have a great time on your cruise no matter what cabin you have, whether inside or out!
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM
JOE REYNOLDS

My first cruise in 1975 I had an inside cabin and loved it. Once I got a veranda I haven't cruised without one since except on ships without any.
If you really want to spend the money wisely and are going to be doing some more cruising, then save the veranda for the Alaskan, Fjords of Norway and Panama Canal cruises. Valparaiso to B.A I will have to let you know next month, but I suspect it will be worth it.
There is no substitute for breakfast on your own private veranda if you can afford it.

Joe
Old January 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM
michael killeen

hi katie.. i am also going on that cruise.. just curious, but what are the prices you are getting? maybe we can help each other out
Old January 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
kated

Hey, I wound up booking an outside stateroom and I believe it was about $700 a person for a cat 6. I got a one category upgrade as well as $100 off for being in the captains club. See you in March!
Old January 7th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

hmmm.. i was able to get a balcony cat. 2b for 819$ a person.. is this a fair rate
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:46 PM
mgs926

HI there!

My husband and I are also on that cruise. We got a Cat 2A for $791.00 per person.

Looking forward to chatting to any of you prior to cruising, if you so desire!

Jill
Old January 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

wow.. how did you pull that off... is that with taxes and port fees? i would like to know who you use.. they can have my business from now on... i thought i had a good deal when no other agents could beat my price... how did you find it?
Old January 14th, 2004, 11:09 AM
mgs926

Ok- you got me. With the taxes and port fees it's $920pp, but I think that's still a decent price.

I booked through my travel agent.
Old January 14th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

thats a great price... i got mine from jackie at cruises-n-more.com... she is great... but i found her at cruisecompete.com... its the best tool i have ever had on the web.... i cant wait...less than two months to go...