Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Frank

Default Re: Re: Re: food cutbacks?

>Mk- Before you feel cheated, go on the cruise first. Then give us a report back here on what your honest impressions were on what you saw and ate. remember also, if you love a particualr dish, you can order more than one. I always order two lobster tails! Good luck and Bon Voyage. Let us know what you find!<

Exactly. I doubt if first time cruisers would feel cheated unless they received tough meat or rubbery sea food. Otherwise, what would they have to compare to? Having said that, it is always best to go on any cruise with low expectations. If one's expectations are too high, they can never be pleased. If they are low, they are easier to meet and exceed. Remember that, compared to a land based trip, cruising is still a bargain.
Frank-in-CA
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Lklein

Default Re: food cutbacks?

Wow, based on this its hard to feel confident about choosing a Celebrity cruise, (we are tentatively going in July on Infinity).

*Babette- I'm wondering if the food quality was that bad, why you kept going on Celebrity cruises?

Lou
Old January 26th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: food cutbacks?

"Wow, based on this its hard to feel confident about choosing a Celebrity cruise"

- based on what? heresay? Go on your cruise with an open mind and enjoy yourself! That's what we plan on doing (Constellation, less than a week).

Based on the fact that Celebrity has 7 of the top 10 ships (Conde Naste ratings) as voted by experienced travellers, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Old January 26th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Lklein

In the end, this is what I decided...there are good and bad reviews of all the cruise lines...
Old January 26th, 2004, 10:37 AM
Passenger

Just got off the 1/12/2004 Summit cruise.The quality and presentation were excellent.The cutbacks relate to replacing the midnight buffet's with gourmet bites.

Old January 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
lysolqn

Replacing midnight buffets with Gourmet Bites hardly qualifies as a cutback, since Celebrity began doing that at least two years ago.
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:23 PM
del

When we were on the Horizon we got frozen peas and corn at dinner.
It was disgusting. Meat was OK. RCCL actually is improving - some of theirt dishes used saffron and fusion which made palatable.
Old January 29th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: food cutbacks?

You are correct ,Celebrity introduced Gourmet bites 2 years ago on a limited basis.Just off an 11 night Summit cruise their were 2 midnight buffets,the grande buffet and the tropical fruit buffet.Last year on the7 night Millie cruise,their were 4 buffets.I spoke to our Matr'd on our Summit cruise and said that the cutbacks were in the midnight buffets.Since last year Celebrity introduced a Sushi bar from 6 to 10 every evening.I don't think the food quality has deteriorated at all.The menu's change evey 4to 6 months as a reaction to how passengers ordered recently.

Old February 1st, 2004, 05:42 PM
Frequent Cruiser

The sushi on the ship we sailed was inedible. They even forgot to put the wasabi inside, duh...
Old February 3rd, 2004, 02:54 AM
IdahoMountainMan

Oh good God people get over it will ya. Is food really that important? Judging by some of these comments you would think they were serving cat turds and kitty litter souflee. Just be thankful you are alive and able to take a vacation. People who live in some of the ports you visit on these cruises can barely afford one meal a day and your complaining because the lobster tail is too bland? Im thinking there is something fundamentally wrong with that. Im off on the Mercury February 20th and some of the posts I have read on this site will haunt my memory for the entire cruise. Just knowing there are people who are that petty on the same ship as me will make me very sad indeed.
Old February 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
David Starkey

Why should Celebrity passengers now have to settle for poor food ? ...They are killing the one thing that separated them from the other mass market cruise lines.
And yes I think passenger have an expectation of "better food on Celebrity". Thats one of the reasons we booked this cruise line in the past. But now ?????
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Idaho, I just got off from Celebrity Galaxy and the food has been the best yet! I don't understand what all the problems/fuss is but I think there could be some very picky people. I'm not too picky and I had no problem with quality and choice. I eat out enough to know what I like and dislike and so far I liked everything I had on Celebrity and it was very good. In addition to that my husband and all our table mates agreed the food was good, so....what really is the problem?
Old February 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM
hcat

Sorry to disagree with Mountain Man--How much did you pay for your cruise & how long did you have to work to pay it---We work hard all year, get a prime cabin & expect quality wihtin reason---That's all folks are requesting....We'll see how it goes--less than 30 days til we are on Summit!
Old February 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM
Passenger

Just got off Summit-1/12/2004, 11 night. The food was very good in the main dining room ,exceptional in Normandie and good to very good in the Buffets.This was my 14th Celebrity cruise and did not experience "food Cutbacks".

Old February 3rd, 2004, 03:20 PM
First Mate

I agree with IdahoMountainman, of course we want good food, but all this fuss is good for one thing, to keep this thread going. DavidS, yes, the food is important but I don't think anyone has said the food is poor? Or, at least that's not how I am reading it, I am reading it has gone downhill some. Only cruising Celebrity once I can't judge whether is has gone down a little, but we enjoyed it regardless.

Nita
Old February 11th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just returned from Consetellation and I've got to tell you, if there were food cutbacks, I didn't see them. We were sailing with people who have sailed 50+ times and they didn't notice any cutbacks. The couple we met who have sailed Celebrity 4 times in the last 2 years didn't notice any cutbacks. Everyone at our table, ordering 2-3 appetizers and 2 entrees everynight, did not notice any cutbacks. The food was beautifully plated, fresh and incredibly yummy. We did not receive any "frozen corn and peas". The buffets were also yummy and we had a different theme for lunch everyday which was also wonderful.

And finally, hubby gained 10 lbs and I gained 3 so trust me, the food is good.