Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Formal, Informal, Casual... Celebrity

I might as well as this question on this board too. I have cruised on the Crown Dynasty (a very small ship) and Carnivals Fascination ( a laid back ship) but never Celebrity.

I know that formal does not mean a gown and tux but what about Informal and Casual. To me they are the same thing.

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Formal, Informal, Casual... Celebrity

HI PHILLY,

You will find Celebrity to be more refined with a touch of class compared to what you have been on so far. Formal is dressy...don't be afraid to pull out the sequins and wear something that you would normally think of as flashy. Jeweled tops are very popular for women. Formal for men means a dark suit or certainly a tux or depending on the climate, a dinner jacket...but a dark suit at the very least.

Informal means "country club" informal...you can still dress up if you wish. For men; this means a jacket and tie.

Casual means "country club" casual...no jeans, no clogs, no shorts and certainly no tank tops. This also applies to your kids.

A lot of pax enjoy dressing on Celebrity.

There are many who would disagree with the above for various reasons but you asked the question in a way that suggested that there is no difference between Informal and Casual...As you can see...there really is a difference.

HAVE FUN,

ROSS
Old January 13th, 2004, 02:22 PM
hcat

I think that was a good run down. Informal for women still to me means a dress or dressy pantsuit & at very least a jacket for men, usually a tie for mine. Casual is not around the house casual but smart cruisewear. But anything nice will usually fit in---no shorts !
Old January 13th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Admiral

Well put. Informal confuses many people just like business casual. Think about something nice that you would wear to a daytime wedding, out to celebrate a special occassion or to a really nice banquet. Smart casual can be slacks with coordinating tops, pants suits, nice capri outfits, sundress or tropical outfit. Like mentioned, save the jeans for traveling and shorts for daytime on shore or on ship. Don't foreget a shawl or sweater for ladies in case the air conditioning is too cool in a public room. Often the shops will have a $10 fake Parshima shawl sail - good souvenir and you can make use of it too.

Caribbean Princess
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your help. The formal night was by biggest doubt. I had a feeling that Celebrity would be more refined than Carnival.

Now I am glad that I bought my long glittery dress in an after Christmas sale. It sounds perfect for the formal night.

I also have plain long black strappy dress and to it I am adding a beaded shawl and my diamond jewelry so that should work too.

Informal nights will be my dresses and casual nights will be my basic black dress pants with nice tops.

Does that sound about right?

Enchantment Of The Seas

Explorer of the Seas Winter Get Away -- back to the aft cabin
Old January 13th, 2004, 09:00 PM
hcat

Sounds perfect to me--hope you get lots of nice photos of you in all those outfits!
Old January 15th, 2004, 12:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

I personally think the term "informal" is the most confusing and invites the most controversy. The best definition I have found for "informal" is what you would wear at a 5 star restaurant for a romantic evening, a wedding anniversary celebration or just a very special evening.
"Formal" means to me that you can literally pull out all the stops and dress to the nines!
"Casual" means just that- nice casual resortwear but no jeans; men wearing underwear t-shirts are also a no-no.

Luckily, men seem to have it easier than us women: a simple dark suit would suffice for both formal and informal. Us women have so many options! Decisions, decisions- so hard but a fun time deciding too!

JanGail
Old January 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Formal, Informal, Casual... Celebrity

HI PHILLY!!

You will be looking just right with the above ensemble that you have described!!

Someone who was very fashion conscious recently posted an amusing comment. They said: "Women...please add some color to those black cocktail dresses and pant suits...looks like we are all going to a funeral"....This made me laugh. Don't be afraid to accent your outfit with something colorful and outrageous. This is certainly the place to do it!!

ROSS