Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:55 AM
IdahoMountainMan

Default Anal Retentive

I was just wondering.......are people who cruise on a regular basis anal retentive as a general rule or is it just this particular cruise line......or is it just this website? I have never seen so many questions and comments about such minor details.
Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: Anal Retentive

People ask questions, minor or major to be in the know. Some are first time cruisers and others may not have sailed Celebrity.

As the saying goes there are no dumb questions.

As for your post, I consider it rude the way it is presented.

Voyager of the Seas Feb 22, 2004

Radiance of the Seas May 2, 2004

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

Post Edited (02-12-04 02:23)

Old February 12th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Yeoman

That's what's great about this board. You don't have to fell bad about asking anything! Some people like to be informed and some have never cruised before. What is a minor question to you might be something major to me. It all depends on what is important to you.

Old February 12th, 2004, 12:25 PM
IdahoMountainMan

Default Re: Re: Anal Retentive

Well I dont mean to be "rude" but I just find it rather odd. Im the type of person who just goes and whatever will be, will be. I have always found that when I ask for advice or opinions from someone else I usually end up disapointed because the way I see or experience something is very different from the way others see or experience it. I basically come to sites like this one to get a good idea about the type of people I will be sailing with and so far I am left with the impression that people who cruise Celebrity are high maintenance and rather anal retentive. That is a general observation and certainly does not apply to every person who cruises on this particular cruise line. So I will be travelling on the Mercury 2/20/2004 for 10 days and now I have a general sense about the people I will encounter on that ship.
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Yeoman

I've never sailed Celebrity before. Always Carnival or Royal. I booked celebrity this year because my husband & I decided to splurge this year and take an 11 day cruise and we got a great deal on the 10/25 Summit. Last Aug. I fell and broke my leg and was in a body cast for 6 1/2 weeks. Hubby had to take care of me and the house. IEverything from bed pan duty to cooking. am still in therapy and just this week got the OK to begin walking. I don't consider us to be Anal Retentive. We just happened to book Celebrity
I just felt a little offended by your first comments. And I wanted you to try to understand that people ask things because it IS important to them. Just like you said that you don't usually ask advise because you get disappointed because the of the way people see things differently. It's the same reason people ask about "minor" things, because they don't see it as a minor thing.
But enough about that - Have a great time on your cruise! Hope you meet some great people!

Old February 12th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Hmmm, high maintenance and anal retentive people cruise Celebrity. You got that impression from these boards?! They don't ask any different types of questions that folks on the other cruise line boards. Well Idaho, I hope your experience is a good one with Celebrity. We met some very nice folks on this cruise but no different than on CCL or RCCL. As for your comments they are uncalled for and honestly what does it make you in sailing on Celebrity?
Old February 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to cruisingks

Thatīs one of my favorite descriptions of myself. Guess this must be theeee perfect board for me then, huh?

Off to go sort my paper clips by color and size.

karen
Old February 12th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Yeoman

Thanks Nushnakka! I'm not the only one who thought the comments were a little rude.

Old February 13th, 2004, 01:18 PM
hcat

Some folks are like my husb who just likes to know the date, the ship & the ports & how many times he will have to get dressed up. (he's a libra) Me, I like to be well-informed, plan our well earned vacations well , take time selecting the excursions & enjoy hearing about all the little details. That's why I enjoy this board. Also Celeb guests & all on the website seem to be very polite--let's keep it like that. Original poster also thought comments about food selections were not worthy of comment. For $4000 plus per cruise I most respectfully disagreee.
Old February 13th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Passenger

I was just wondering why are you here, but then when you live on a mountain in Idaho, and that is far from salt water I guess we could expect this kind of attitude epically in the winter. It must get lonely up there and I understand there is not a lot of air up there, and we all know, that the lack of oxygen can eventually lead to hypoxia. But seriously, I want you to know that I have never run across someone who knew everything and never had a question. I for one have had so much help from these boards. I have been going to Europe since 1953 and I went to college in Switzerland, and I still have so many questions answered by other fellow anal-retentive passengers that I am thank full for.

For example, last May, we took a Uniworld Cruise on the Dutch canals, I know Amsterdam very well, but still I wanted to know exactly where the boats dock right behind the Central Station. I got the answer and was able to arrive at the airport in Amsterdam, take a train to the Central Station and walk right onto the ship. Now what did that information do for me? Well like you, I like to do things on the fly, in fact because of knowing all the particulars of the trip, I booked our own air and saved lots of bucks. It was just a small question, but such a big help.

I also think, that for many these boards are a way to extend the excitement of the trip, and I don’t think that is a bad thing, but IMM (Idaho Mountain Man) you have every right to your opinion. I do hope that you will enjoy your cruising experience. I hope you will take notice, and not many cruisers do, of the ships staff that busts their asses to give you great service, so many of them come from such poor countries that offer no jobs, they work for ten months every day, before they get to go home and back to their families, many of them have such sad stories. Well enough, if you should have any questions please feel free to ask, I won't call you any names, or make any judgments on your character.

Ciao for now Michael M
Old February 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
hcat

Well said--Mountain man--You will enjoy Mercury & will meet some very nice folks along the way--don't pre-judge!
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Born to Cruise

Default Re: Re: Re: Anal Retentive

Too bad you feel that way.

If you present your self with that "attitude" you might want to re-consider and book
another cruise line.

One, that in your opinion, does not cater to "anal retentive" guests. I'm certainly
glad I'm not cruising with you.
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Admiral

I am not crazy or rude...everyone else is <G>

Old February 14th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Passenger

Holy cow...IMM asked a valid question...it seems to me too that there is a lot of anal discussion here of the most minute details of what seems like common sense. What to pack, dealing with wrinkles, duct tape, topless sunning, birth certificate, breast-feeding in the dinning room, and the list goes on...BUT, I love it and find lots of valuable information that I'll take with me on 2-20 aboard the Mercury...I can't wait, and thank you one and all...from one anal retentive to another...
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:19 AM
IdahoMountainMan

OK....so since when did being anal retentive have negative connotations? Seems like adding thin skinned to my observation might be appropriate as well. Anyway.........Here is where I am comming from. This will be my third cruise, Voyager in June of 2002 and then I did the Marco Polo last April. On both of those cruises I had several bad experiences with passengers throwing temper tantrums. On the Voyager this guy had a fit in the middle of the Windjammer because they temporarily ran out of pasta. I thought he was going to flop down on the floor and start stomping his feet. This was one of many examples of people who have no concern whatsoever for what effect their tantrums have on other passengers. This is only one of many glaring examples of that that type of behavior. On the Marco Polo I actually saw someone throw a dinner roll at one of the waiters because he picked up a plate that he wasnt finished with yet. So it has been my experience that many high maintenance people cruise and that is my opinion. I have also met many carefree people on cruises who only want to have a good time and as long as they dont get food poisoning they are happy. So when I see people on these boards complain about how the lobster tail was too soft or the peas are frozen I see these people as my future potential companions and how they behave while in public areas of the ship can have a profound effect on the outcome of my vacation. As an example, I was seated with 2 other couples on the Marco Polo and all they did every night was complain about everything, "the tender ride into Portofino was too roughtand they never should have tendered us in", "the pastry wasnt up to par", "the room service was too slow." and on and on and on. After the 2nd day I didnt go to dinner in the dining room again because I couldnt take it any more. So basically im searching for a cruise line without whiners. One that has passengers who have as much respect for their fellow passengers as they do for themselves. Most of all I just want to have a stress free vacation where I dont have to worry about high maintenance people ruining it for me.
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Yeoman

Try chartering your own boat.

Old February 14th, 2004, 11:34 AM
gann

Mountain Man,
I hate to say it, but cruising isn't for you. I don't know of any cruise line that you will not have people that complain. They do it in places to eat in this country and find things wrong in stores. That is life. Just go with the flo and enjoy the fact that you are cruising and having a good time. Good luck.
Don
Old February 14th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Passenger

This will be our first cruise and I can tell you right now I dont want to be around people that are complaining about everything. If people have to complain why bore other passengers, they should complain to the cruise line or to each other in their cabin. Maybe their the people who shoud'nt be on cruises.

So in that sense I'm with you MountainMan

Constellation
Old February 14th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Unfortunately there are rude and unhappy people in all walks of life, and on all sorts of vacations. You'll likely encounter them no matter what type of vacation you choose.

However, generally cruising offers such great value for the money, you'll surely see (and hear) far less of them on a ship than at sea than in land based restaurants, hotels and resorts.

That being said, the post about whiny people has little to do with the original post...
"I have never seen so many questions and comments about such minor details.

I suspect many of the complaints people hear onboard ships are the direct result of those people having spent NO time researching their trips, and therefore having no real idea of what they can expect.... other than what they learned skimming through a glossy brochure.

The more "educated" cruiser goes with a better understanding of what they can expect, and are more prepared to let the "small stuff" roll off their backs, and enjoy their cruise.

They go understanding that if assigned tablemates are incompatitble they can see the Maitre D and request a table change, rather than having to endure, or not show up, and thereby miss the dining room experience entirely.

They go understanding that they may see some rude people, but it's easy to walk away, and not allow isolated incidents to ruin their vacation.

It's the people who go on their cruise, without using the research tools available to them, like CruiseMates, to get the answers to their "minor questions", but then, on their return, make a point of searching out these sites to publicize their complaints, who I can't figure out.

They seem to have no time beforehand to educate themselves before spending big bucks on their vacations, but then find tons of time afterwards to find places to "voice their complaints".

Post Edited (02-14-04 13:15)
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 14th, 2004, 01:01 PM
hcat

Kuki--you are 100% on target. But perhaps it is time for this thread to end!
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Mary H

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that answered my anal retentive questions, before I went on my last cruise ( a month ago). Your advice and information helped me enjoy my vacation. I felt really informed and in the loop. We had a wonderful time.
Thanks
Mary